Buying Advice Kubota BX1860 or BX1870

/ Kubota BX1860 or BX1870 #1  

ds10

Tractor
Kubota LX2610
The BX1860's are about gone, but the local dealer could get one from another dealer. The BX1870s are available. I'm weighing which model to get:

- I like the new dash displays on the 1870.

- The BX1860's ROPS is shorter, but doesn't fold. The BX1870's ROPS folds, but doesn't fold down all the way. Mixed feelings about each.

- Bigger cash incentive on the BX1860 at the moment.

Past that, I'm planning to get the loader and the fine cut 54" deck, which are essentially the same for either tractor. Also very interested in the DR 3 point hitch trimmer. DR sales said there'd be no problem with it on the 18HP tractor.

I also looked at the Deere 1025R, which I liked a lot. It's more comfortable to drive and its ROPS folds down very nicely (Kubota could learn from theirs). I really don't think I need the extra size and HP of the 1025R (or the BX2370) though.

I have about 2 acres to mow, and edges that need attention (thus the DR attachment). Loader will be used to rearrange compost, wood chips and fill.

Kubota dealer uses Rimguard in the rear tires of the tractors they sell with loaders and assure me that's sufficient for the BX1860/70 with its loader.

Looking for any thoughts on the BX1860 vs BX1870 and any other thoughts on what I'm looking at. Thanks.

/ Kubota BX1860 or BX1870 #2  
Started out with a BX1850, then BX1860 (long story) with a loader and 54" deck (not the fine cut). Never thought I needed more power but wouldn't have minded it when using my 3PH wood chipper. Biggest reason to get more hp would be pto driven implements, like a wood chipper or PTO generator. Don't see much not to like on the BX1870 except the higher price. I assume the 70 series has the new and improved seat like it's big brothers.

I would take issue with your dealer saying loaded tires are enough for FEL work. Loading the tires does help keep the rear end on the ground, but it doesn't take weight off of your front axle. For that, you need some weight back on the 3 point hitch (3PH). Weight back behind the rear wheels will act like a lever to take some of the weight off of your front axle. For really heavy loads/max FEL use, you don't want all that weight on the front axle.

PS - Welcome to TBN

/ Kubota BX1860 or BX1870
The BX1870 has a lesser seat than the BX2370. Thanks for the comments about loading with the FEL. I assume no harm in using the loaded tires, more a question as to whether having a ballast box in addition might be useful? No great need for a PTO genset (have a built-in, propane-powered genset at the house). All good feedback.

My 1995 Deere 325 garden tractor (have tiller and blower) will get traded, sold, donated or something. It's just not sufficient now that we've cleared another 1/2 acre and are adding more fruit trees.

/ Kubota BX1860 or BX1870 #4  
I would save your money and skip the ballast box, then put the cost toward a rear box blade or something that you can actually use. The ballast box is only good for adding weight, and maybe toting some tools around. Better to get something functional and heavy!

/ Kubota BX1860 or BX1870 #5  
I wouldn't want loaded tires for mine if it was going to be my lawn mower because of the additional weight and compaction every time you mow. CHDinCT makes a good point. Plus a ballast box (or rear blade) can be left off and just attached when needed for the loader.

/ Kubota BX1860 or BX1870 #6  
I would go with a 1870 out of those 2. You may want to consider a 2370 it gives you 4 more PTO hp, bigger tires, and you get a stronger loader.

/ Kubota BX1860 or BX1870
JD dealer offering a reasonable trade-in on my 325/mower/tiller/blower against the 1025. Kubota dealer not so much. Guess it's time to crunch numbers and think about 1025R vs. BX1870. Sure seems like the 1025R is the more refined design at the moment and more comfortable.

/ Kubota BX1860 or BX1870 #8  
JD dealer offering a reasonable trade-in on my 325/mower/tiller/blower against the 1025. Kubota dealer not so much. Guess it's time to crunch numbers and think about 1025R vs. BX1870. Sure seems like the 1025R is the more refined design at the moment and more comfortable.

Oh man, wait till 94 bullet gets ahold of that one.
:popcorn:

/ Kubota BX1860 or BX1870 #9  
I would save your money and skip the ballast box, then put the cost toward a rear box blade or something that you can actually use. The ballast box is only good for adding weight, and maybe toting some tools around. Better to get something functional and heavy!

I agree...box blade or tiller...

/ Kubota BX1860 or BX1870 #10  
Like others have said. Skip the ballast box and get a useful tool on the back.