Comparison John Deere 3320 or Mahindra 4010

/ John Deere 3320 or Mahindra 4010 #1  

tsimmons

Tractor
Looking
My father and I are looking for a new compact utility tractor. Primary uses will be maintaining/building roads and trails on his 40 acres, brush hogging, misc. loader work. We will also use it to haul dead trees out of the woods for firewood and all the other things you use a tractor for while cutting wood. Looking for 32-38HP open station hydro tractor. Aside from cutting wood on the property, we may occasionally take it off site where it would be nice to have a powerful FEL to lift logs onto a trailer to haul away and process later. Also, this is a big investment for us, we want something of exceptional quality that will still be working hard in 20-30 years. Here are the tractors we've got it narrowed down to:

John Deere 3320 (We'd like the 3520 but its a little out of our price range)
Kubota L3200/L3800
New Holland Boomer 35
Mahindra 4010

The Kubota and New Holland were eliminated today, I didn't like the Kubota's lack of lifting power on the FEL, 1131 lbs compared to the Mahindra's 2,041 lbs, plus significantly lower max height as well. If you have a Kubota L series and love it no offense, just didn't do the trick for us. Don't like the "rocker" type foot pedal either.
I didn't like the operators station on the New Holland, the seat appeared to be all the way back and my knees were in the steering wheel and I couldn't rest my heel on the floorboards to control the hydro pedals, seems like it was made for a little fella to operate, I'm 6' 200, not a monster, just a normal dude. Again, if you have a boomer and love it, fantastic, sure its a good machine, just didn't feel right for me.

Next is the Mahindra. I love everything about this tractor, well almost. I can't get past the made in Korea thing (call me old fashion) but I love the tractor. It seems to be built like a tank, all metal when plastic would do, controls are laid out nice, roomy operators station. It lifts 443 pounds more than the John Deere on the FEL and 446 on the 3PT. Same wheelbase, length, close in weight (Mahindra is 165lbs heavier) and the John Deere is 8" wider. No mid PTO option on the Mahindra but that's not a big issue, I'd take it if it were available "just in case" down the road, but there are no plans for a mid mower or front snow blower. The Mahindra 4010 has steel hood and fenders, in some ways that's good, steal dents when plastic might crack, but on the other hand plastic flexes when steel will dent. Overall though I think I'd prefer steel, especially for running through tight areas in the woods. The John Deere has almost a 5 gallon larger fuel tank which would be nice, but not a make it or break it feature. I like that the Mahindra has standard cruise control and air ride seat, I believe they both have standard tilt wheel. All that and of course the extra 5.2HP on the Mahindra couldn't hurt and the 5 year 3000 zero deductible warranty is impressive as well.

The John Deere 3320. I just like John Deere. My son and I collect toy John Deere tractors together, mostly 1/64 scale. We've got over 100 tractors from the waterloo boy to the 9560R and almost everything in-between. My grandpa was a farmer and I grew up working on his farm, he had old John Deere equipment. I love the old 2 cylinders, as soon as my son is old enough I plan to try and buy my grandpa's old 1937 D back from the 90 year old farmer a couple towns away and restore it. The John Deere dealer is 3 miles from my house where the closest Mahindra dealer is 50 miles away. The John Deere dealer has been there for 40 years, the Mahindra dealer has been there for 3. I know the John Deere dealer isn't going anywhere, can't say the same about the Mahindra. A friend of mine has the John Deere 4300, the "older brother" if you will of the 3320, he loves it, it's 15 years old and has been a workhorse, extremely dependable, does everything he asks of it, great tractor. I don't know anyone personally who owns a Mahindra that I can get feedback from, I have to base everything off of their own website and internet forums.

Here's what it comes down to, money. The John Deere is a little more money than I want to pay, its not that I couldn't do it, just trying to justify it. The quote I got from my JD dealer for a 2013 3320 open station ehydro with mid pto, 300cx loader (not sure why they even make the 300x, less umph for not that much less money) Frontier brush hog and box blade with tax and dealer junk and everything out the door was $29,784. The equally equipped Mahindra 4010 (no mid pto of course) with loaded rear tires (beat juice)(I should also add both machines were quoted with R4's) was $25,866.

So, trying to figure out why it is that I'm considering paying almost $4,000.00 more for a tractor with 5 less HP, 400 plus pounds less capacity on the loader and 3PT, smaller front tires, no air ride seat or cruise control unless I want to pay even more simply because I like the color of the paint........ but I do like the color of the paint! ;) Mahindra also offers 0% financing for 72 mo, John Deere is 60, with the lower price I'd save $137.00/mo with the Mahindra. Granted I'd be paying on it for an extra year but since we plan to have this thing in use (or are hoping) for 20-30 years so that's not a huge deal.

So.... there's my scenario. Were not in a rush to make a purchase, it may not even happen until next spring, just want to make sure that when we do decide to move that we get the right tractor for our needs, one that will do what we want it to do and do it well for a long time. I know you guys are the experts so weigh in. Go.... now! ;) (thanks in advance for your input)

/ John Deere 3320 or Mahindra 4010 #2  
Find a Kioti dealer and try a DK series. 2700 lbs of lift on the FEL.

/ John Deere 3320 or Mahindra 4010 #3  
I would go with the 3320.

Mahindra usually show their spec at the pivot. Most other manufactures show it at 500mm on the loader and 24" on the 3PH. Be sure you are comparing apples to apple.

The JD 3320 is more comparable to a Kubota L3540. It is a grand l. It also has a better loader.

Did you look at a Kubota MX5100, it should be in your price range? It has a strong loader.

Once you figure out what tractor you want check prices at at least 3 dealers to be sure you are getting a good deal.

/ John Deere 3320 or Mahindra 4010
I appreciate the responses, I haven't really given Kioti a serious look as their nearest dealer is 65 miles from my house. Mahindra is 50 but I work half way inbetween so that makes it a little more doable. I also have a concern with the korean made units that what if the dealer folds or decides not to carry that brand anymore, then my nearest dealer is 150 miles away in a different state, that's a problem. Not likely, but not out of the question. If my deere dealer folds up there's a dozen more in a 50 mile radius I can go to.
I actually had the L3540 on my original list but the price is so close to the John Deere and I just liked the Deere better, its certainly a nice machine, but for me personally if I'm going to spend that kind of money I'd rather have the deere. The 3320 was actually the first machine we looked at, so after checking out all the others we decided to pay another visit back to the deere dealer to give it another look. Climbed back up on the seat and forgot how much I loved it, the operators station is so spacious and everything seems in the perfect spot and right in easy reach. Like the high back yellow seat, I know it seems like a insignifigant thing but why do almost all other manufacturers put black seats on a machine that sits out in the sun and reaches a temp that can literally burn your backside if you hop on with shorts. I almost did burn myself at the Kubota dealer and it was only 80% out! :)
I'm starting to lean heavily toward the 3320, I may be able to offset the cost by getting my box blade and brush hog off craigslist or possibly one of the CountyLine models from tractor supply, something like that. There's one thing with the 3320 that bothers me, its 68" width, most other machines in its class are 59" or 60" to match the 60" implements. If I buy a 5' brush hog (which fits the 5HP/5FT rule) 5' box blade, 5' tiller, etc then they are going to be narrower than the footprint of the tractor. If I buy a 6' I feel like I'm going to be pushing the limits of the 32 HP engine (and 25 pto) a little bit, some of the brush hogging I plan to do is going to be through some pretty heavy stuff, at least the first time through and there are some hills to go up, etc. I have a lot of clay that's pretty heavy, don't know if the 6' box blade would be a bit much for that either. But that may be another question for another post later on, just laying out a concern.

/ John Deere 3320 or Mahindra 4010 #5  
When I was looking, I initially considered JD, Kubota, Mahindra and a couple of others.
Based on some input from others on this forum, I discounted the importance of having a dealer exceptionally close by.
And I really don't think there is any great concern about any of the brands mentioned here suddenly disappearing.
And if you think you are going to have to be taking a tractor back to the dealer for a lot of service work then perhaps that is the wrong brand. (Assuming you are planning on doing your own maintenance.)

As for 94BULLITT saying to compare apples to apples, I believe you are correct in your comparison. Both of these numbers are at the pivot pins.

There have been a number of discussions about the 'cost' of zero percent financing - what terms did the dealers offer for the prices that you give? Are these cash prices? Mahindra has different prices for using their various financing offers. Not to say they are a bad deal! But that is a completely separate discussion.

What do you get for the extra $4,000? Green paint and the John Deere name. And less of a tractor. Yes, I realize those are fighting words to some, but I came to the conclusion that if you looked just at the tractor specs (which ones you wanted HP, PTO HP, lifting capacity, 3 point capacity) dollar for dollar the JD models just cost you more money. In some cases a lot more.

Have you gotten prices for just the tractors? Since you seem open to the idea of acquiring your implements by other means (which would mean you don't have to / need to finance them with the tractor), I'd price just the tractors to get a better price comparison.

Have you looked 'above' your desired models? Really bad to buy a tractor in the 32-38HP range because that's what you THINK you need only to discover that if you had a few more HP you could do things quicker / easier. And the extra initial cost is surprisingly small.

I never rode any of the JD models because I just could not justify the extra $$$. For me I probably would have been quite happy with a Mahindra 4010, but the dealers around me had Mahinrdra 4035s on their lot. I went to the Kubota dealer thinking I wanted a L3200. Ended up with the L3800 as the best Kubota for my needs. I was not a fan of the rocker pedal either. A combination of the price, features and 'feel' led me to purchase the Mahindra 4035. Don't think I could be happier. And I seriously doubt that I will outgrow it.

BTW, I live 90 miles away from the dealer I bought my Mahindra from. My tractor is kept another 40 miles away from him. He had the tractor I wanted. But I could easily see that if I needed parts (maintenance items, replacements, etc.) I could just as easily get them on-line for the same price (or less) than what my dealer would sell them for.

Just my opinion - yours may vary!

Martin

/ John Deere 3320 or Mahindra 4010 #6  
I'm starting to lean heavily toward the 3320, I may be able to offset the cost by getting my box blade and brush hog off craigslist or possibly one of the CountyLine models from tractor supply, something like that. There's one thing with the 3320 that bothers me, its 68" width, most other machines in its class are 59" or 60" to match the 60" implements. If I buy a 5' brush hog (which fits the 5HP/5FT rule) 5' box blade, 5' tiller, etc then they are going to be narrower than the footprint of the tractor. If I buy a 6' I feel like I'm going to be pushing the limits of the 32 HP engine (and 25 pto) a little bit, some of the brush hogging I plan to do is going to be through some pretty heavy stuff, at least the first time through and there are some hills to go up, etc. I have a lot of clay that's pretty heavy, don't know if the 6' box blade would be a bit much for that either. But that may be another question for another post later on, just laying out a concern.

The width of the tractor varies by the tires that are on the tractor.

There is nothing wrong with going with used implements or another brand. If you do go with the JD implements you can have it financed with the tractor.

/ John Deere 3320 or Mahindra 4010 #7  
The resale value will more than make up for the $4k. Go for the Deere.

/ John Deere 3320 or Mahindra 4010 #8  
I have a 3520 and love it except for one big issue....the front end loader 300x drifts down. If I am mowing it will slowly leak down. When parked, I tested it and it drops 7" in one hour. I think it is the valve body and not cylinders. I am currently trying to resolve it with Deere. My only gripe. I would check this before I bought the Deere so they can fix it before your stuck with it

/ John Deere 3320 or Mahindra 4010 #9  
When did the 3320 grow to 68" wide? Mine is only 58" with the R4's.

A 6 1/2' box blade is just right with this machine, pulling it I run out of traction long before I run out of power.

/ John Deere 3320 or Mahindra 4010 #10  
I think for about the same money as that 3320, you could probably get a L4400/L4600 kubota.

Same type thing as the L3800, as it is a "economy" version that dont have some of the features of the others, Lift specs will be on par with others mentioned, But depending on just how much bushhogging you have planned, that added HP would be really something to think about. And overall size/footprint isnt much bigger....IE: Lots of HP in a small package.

I would have mentioned the Mx5100 like another poster, but I didnt think HST was an option on that???