Buying Advice JD 2040 questions

/ JD 2040 questions #1  

busshman

Tractor
John Deere 1010 RU
I am looking at a JD 2040 with a 145 loader. I was wondering if there is any bad things known about this model? The asking price is $6400. We currently have a 1010 with a 1010 industrial loader. I am looking to upgrade for more gears and a little heavier for my 3pt backhoe. Is there any parts availability issues with this tractor and is the 3cyl diesel engine trustworthy. I ask this because I know the 1010 diesels had problems (mine is gas), And some parts for the 1010 Are very hard to find.Also what is an estimate of the worth of my 1010. 2 years ago it got New paint and decals, rebuilt power steering and lift cylinders, new steering wheel and seat. New clutch, new rear tires and rims. rewired, all new hoses to the loader. I know you can't accurately give me a value but just an idea would help.

Thanks
Busshman

Attachments

• 2012-09-05_08-50-25_727.jpg
    2012-09-05_08-50-25_727.jpg
    853.6 KB · Views: 851
   / JD 2040 questions #2  
Not sure what your are looking to gain. The 2040 is only a few HP more and not uch heavier at all. I think your 1010 would be worth more to you than you could get with what you are looking to do. You are only going about 15 years newer, but VERY similar in size/capability.

I think the 2040's are pretty much as trouble free as any others, and reliable.

/ JD 2040 questions
I am pretty happy with the 1010 other than I could really use some more gearing options. I figured if I stepped into the 70's or early 80's I could get that but to stay with the same size tractor or bigger I would need to move to the 40 horse range. The only other thing is engine parts availability I would hope was a little better.

Bushman

/ JD 2040 questions #4  
I would rate the parts availability really good on the 2040. I can understand wanting more gearing options, as I am quite used to the 8n and not enough low gears.

But...Thats for tilling and such. Do you do any of that?? Thats about all a super low gear is for. On my kubota, I NEVER use 1st and 2nd and rarely 3rd unless I am tilling.

But if you want more gear, the 2040 would certainly fit the bill. Value wise, I'd say your 1010 and a 2040 should be pretty close if in similar condition. Maybe just a tad more for the 2040, but not much

/ JD 2040 questions
The funny thing is tilling was my main concern. And since I use my loader for everything, sometimes a lower gear for fine adjustment would be nice. And the reverse in the 1010 is pretty high geared also

Busshman

/ JD 2040 questions
Another question is my 1010 has a separate lever for the pto. I believe it is called independent pto. I think this one actually stops when you push in the clutch. Is that going to be a problem or hard to get used to.

Busshman

/ JD 2040 questions #7  
I prefer the independent PTO vs the two stage clutch PTO. If you do not push all the way in you can shift gears without the PTO stopping. But I was so used to pushing a clutch all the way, I was always disengaging the PTO too.
MY first 2030 was gas and had the two stage clutch. I moved more sideways than up when I got the current 2030 that is diesel. It has the independent PTO ( a little bonus) I mainly switched to get a diesel and the HD front axle so I could add a loader (which I did). It also came with power adjust rear wheels, down exhaust, and two rear SCVs. The gas 2030 had a swept back front axle, up exhaust and only one SCV, but my main reason was to get a diesel and HD front axle.

I would trade just to get the diesel over gas.

/ JD 2040 questions
Thanks a lot guys for the input. I really appreciate it. I will probably have more questions later
Busshman

/ JD 2040 questions #9  
Not sure about the value of your 1010, but I think the 2040 is a great little tractor. I have had zero issues with mine, and I work it hard. It does great with 6' implements. Just about the perfect tractor in my mind, the Mannheim Deeres are solid well built tractors.

/ JD 2040 questions #10  
busshman,

With the 1010 having the repair/upgrades that you did, I would not be afraid of asking $6000 with the loader on it. I would do a tune-up if needed and make sure all battery connections are clean, so when a buyer comes that it starts right away.

When I sold my IH 444 for $6000 with loader, I only wish I had 6 more to sell that day.