Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models..

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #11  
The tasks you list don't require particularly large amounts of horsepower or weight, so I would say search around and try to maximize HP and weight (weight = traction, all else being equal) within your price range. $6k is going to limit you, and I suspect you will have a hard time finding a front-end-loader in that price range, but you never know. I will say, with 4 acres to mow, you should probably try to size up to a 5' or 6' mower if possible. I believe the rule of thumb is either 4 or 5 PTO HP (can't remember which) per 1' of mower, so shooting for around 30 PTO HP might be a good goal.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #12  
Beside the $6K you have what can you afford on a monthly payment for 5 years. I bought 24,000 worth of new tractor and implements for a little over $400/mo. My Kubota BX 25 will do everything you want one to do and more. Comes w/ a backhoe. Until you have a BH you will wonder how you would do without. Save your cash for something else and go new, $0 down, 0% interest at all the SCUT dealers, Kubota, JD, New Holland, the Chinese ones. Ride them all and pick the one you like best and you cannot go wrong. I picked the Bota.

Ron

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models..
Thanks again for all the replies. I appreciate the info, Seabee, but I don't care to take on any debt. If I can't pay cash for something, I don't buy it. The $6k is not the only cash I have, however I can only justify so much for a tractor before it makes no financial sense.

A lot of people are mentioning the MF 135. How about the MF 35? What are the differences? The reason I ask is there is one available that seems to be in great shape. No loader, though.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #14  
if it didn't need 4wd.. 6k$ will get you a ford in the 30-50hp range with a loader.

Hi all. I have been reading here quite a bit, and it seems the more I learn, the more overwhelmed I have become. I have been searching Craigslist in a 250 mile radius to see what is available. I have 4 acres of land. A little about what I intend to use tractor for:

Mowing brush and grasses
Spreading gravel
Grading and maintaining driveway
Drilling fence post holes
Carrying soil
Dragging around heavy objects such as railroad ties
Running cement mixer

Now, from everything I have read, most people suggest getting the largest tractor one can afford. My price range is "as little as possible." Hah! Isn't that everyone's goal? Now, I have had to adjust my expectations because I have found prices to be shockingly high. I was at first considering a Ford 8n. But, I thought about it and would like something a bit newer, that wasn't built before my mother was born. I have not completely given up on the 8n, but I would like a 4wd diesel with loader if I could have my way.

I have found a few older Japanese brands available in the $5k-$6k range (Yanmar, Mitsubishi, etc.) They all seem to have one thing in common: Lots of use. The whole search is becoming overwhelming. I feel like I need to narrow it down a bit. There are so many models within each brand that I cannot even keep track. I have been searching tractorhouse.com to try to find info and pricing.

So, my question is, given a budget of say $6k: What would everyone recommend insofar as an entry level used 4wd diesel tractor (I want to stay away from expensive John Deere, etc.)? Is there a minimum HP I should consider? I could use a little bit of direction here. Thank you.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #15  
pretendfarmer,

The MF 135 is basically a newer MF 35. I have ran a MF 35, they are diesel, 2 wheel drive overall, a nice little tractor if you can find a good one at a fair price. I believe they both have Perkins Diesel engines, 8 speed gears.

Is a Ford 1700 a little small? I think it is less than 20 horse. Also, I have heard that parts can be hard to find. Probably want something closer to 40 horse.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #17  
pretendfarmer,

I think the Ford 1700 had more horses than 20. Not a lot more though. My concern would be parts for a Ford 1700, clutch, injector pump.

Your list of tasks to me says 20 horse and up. I do not see a need, notice I said need for 40 HP. If you can find a deal that matches your price on a 40 HP, grab it.

Make up a list of possible tractor models that will work for you and go to "tractorhouse.com" and search for ones near you. You may well find what you are searching for there.

You should look for a tractor that already has a front loader, finding a used loader to fit will prove difficult and buying a new loader that fits is $4000 or about.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #18  
if it didn't need 4wd.. 6k$ will get you a ford in the 30-50hp range with a loader.

Personally, on a budget, I view 4wd as "nice to have". The utility 2wd tractors Soundguy describes tend to be heavier than a modern compact 4wd tractor. Combine that added weight with R1 (traditional Ag) tires and a diff lock, and a 2wd tractor starts to perform better, IMO. If you have a loader, you also have that feature to help you get unstuck, 2wd or 4wd.

4wd is popular.... the demand side of the equation means that better deals can be found on 2wd tractors.

If needed, chains can be added for drive traction. After 2 winters, I added chains to my 2wd - it was money well spent.

If you don't get "auction fever", hanging around physical auctions (meaning not on the internet) can be a good way to learn a lot. I bought my 3930 at an auction, outdoors, in the winter time. Previously, I dropped out of the bidding on a Case 2wd, when it got too rich for my blood. Wise move, as the tractor I ended up with on a different day was lower hours, better maintained, for less money. A bit of luck, a lot of homework, and being willing to stand outside in freezing weather paid off for me.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

Rgds, D.

Thanks for the info. I don't need 4wd. I would be happy with 2wd. In fact, if I didn't want a loader, I would be happy with a real old tractor like a MF35 or even an 8n. From what I have read, the older ones really weren't designed for a loader and it is hard on them and they don't work great. I guess my sticker shock is not unfounded as I have found many articles detailing the crazy high prices of used tractors this year, some selling for well above their new prices. Perhaps this is a bad time to be a buyer. I do have the option of waiting another year or so to work on the land. Prices have exploded recently, and I could easily sell the parcel as well. It is really strange how everything is getting so expensive. I sure don't see wages increasing.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #20  
Take your time, and perhaps expand your geographic search area. Let's say you find something 4 hours away, that is $2k cheaper. Spend $200 going to check it out (fuel, food...), and say $500 to have it shipped, and you are still ahead of the game. Pulling those #'s out of the air, but you get the point....

Keep in mind, local Ag dealers often trade the trade-in's they get with other remote dealers. Being a small world, some of them don't want a local long-term customer seeing a tractor they received $4k for selling for $8k, after not much more than a power-wash. This can be one reason why local popular types of tractors "go elsewhere".

Rgds, D.