Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models..

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models..
Pretendfarmer,

Put these on your "Watch for" list. International Harvester, 424, 444, 454, 464. John Deere 1010,1020, 1520, 2010, 2020, 2510, 2520. These are from the mid 60s to early 70s 2 wheel drive tractors. They will have 3point hitch, check for live pto, though most will be live(two stage clutch) it was an option often. They will have live hydraulics usually as well. These are utility Ag tractors and a GIANT leap over 2N, 8N, 9Ns.

These show up between $4500-$7000 usually.

Thanks. How about an International B414?

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #52  
Wouldn't you know that a clean Ford 861 with a 722 loader came on Craigslist within the last couple days and it sold immediately. I did not even have a chance to go look at it. That's the problem- everybody is looking for the good ones.

PS- The 4400 was gone immediately, too. Same day it was listed.

these are listed on craigslist TRACTOR WITH LOADER

http://kpr.craigslist.org/grd/3927866885.html

http://lewiston.craigslist.org/grd/3943933831.html
http://kpr.craigslist.org/grd/3908186276.html
the international looks better and more powerful.
All are gas powered?? Got 2 of the ones on the (watch list) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #53  
I was where you are at 3 years ago for my 5 acre place, a mix of pasture and woods here in the PNW. The only difference is that I live on a hillside and I wanted a backhoe for doing some trenching and wall building. Ended up getting a JD 855 w/backhoe, loader, PHD, bushhog, scraper blade and disc for about $13K. I mow the lawn partly with the bushhog and partly with an old Craftsman GT.

I use the implements in roughly this order: Loader weekly. Bushhog and blade monthly. Disc and PHD about 1x or 2x per year. Backhoe sits, other than projects (meaning when I take staycation at home, then I use it for a week straight.) I probably shouldn't have gotten the backhoe, but it is a darn fun toy. The Disc and PHD I would rather replace with a box blade and a log splitter.

My neighbors have newer, low end Kubotas, but they all love my 855 more than what they bought. I'd recommend you also keep an eye out for a gently used 755, 855 or 955. I see them come up every few months or so in this area.

One example: John Deere 755 4x4 loader

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate all this info.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #55  
Pretendfarmer,

I do not have personal knowledge about the IH B414, so I cannot answer. Try using "www.tractordata.com" when you see a model number of a tractor that interests you. It will give you general information and specifications about the tractor. The information given there is often not complete or 100% accurate, but it gives you enough information to decide whether to cross it off of your list or not. It also tells the previous model, the next model and smaller, larger models. It can prove usefull.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #56  
Wouldn't you know that a clean Ford 861 with a 722 loader came on Craigslist within the last couple days and it sold immediately. I did not even have a chance to go look at it. That's the problem- everybody is looking for the good ones.

PS- The 4400 was gone immediately, too. Same day it was listed.

Nuts...that could have had good potential! A 861 has ~48hp, live PTO via 2 stage clutch and a 5 speed. A good tractor. I don't have a loader on mine, but have heard power steering (option) is really nice to have with a FEL

Anybody know anything about a Case 801-B?

I feel like giving up. Every single decent tractor I have found on Craigslist has sold before I can even look at it. Many are at least a few hours away. The only stuff available is unsightly old junk, or greatly overpriced. There are innumerable new and slightly used tractors for sale, but precious few older affordable ones. It seems the competition is extreme for lower priced stuff. I am not sure if maybe wintertime is better to buy, but I am starting to think that maybe this is a sign that I should just rent something for a few days to do what I need to, then revisit a purchase down the road.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #59  
I feel like giving up. Every single decent tractor I have found on Craigslist has sold before I can even look at it. Many are at least a few hours away. The only stuff available is unsightly old junk, or greatly overpriced. There are innumerable new and slightly used tractors for sale, but precious few older affordable ones. It seems the competition is extreme for lower priced stuff. I am not sure if maybe wintertime is better to buy, but I am starting to think that maybe this is a sign that I should just rent something for a few days to do what I need to, then revisit a purchase down the road.

I went through this looking for a good RFM a couple of weeks back. There were at least three that I would have bought if I had got there in time. I wound up buying a cheaper brand than I wanted. It was a returned Countyline mower from TSC. It was just a savings of $200 off list, but I can always sell it if I do find a used one in time.

Renting for the present project would let you have time to keep up your search. Good luck.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #60  
Renting a machine you think fits your needs will give you an education about that machine. It might well be worth the cost.