Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models..

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #1  

pretendfarmer

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 790
Hi all. I have been reading here quite a bit, and it seems the more I learn, the more overwhelmed I have become. I have been searching Craigslist in a 250 mile radius to see what is available. I have 4 acres of land. A little about what I intend to use tractor for:

Mowing brush and grasses
Spreading gravel
Grading and maintaining driveway
Drilling fence post holes
Carrying soil
Dragging around heavy objects such as railroad ties
Running cement mixer

Now, from everything I have read, most people suggest getting the largest tractor one can afford. My price range is "as little as possible." Hah! Isn't that everyone's goal? Now, I have had to adjust my expectations because I have found prices to be shockingly high. I was at first considering a Ford 8n. But, I thought about it and would like something a bit newer, that wasn't built before my mother was born. I have not completely given up on the 8n, but I would like a 4wd diesel with loader if I could have my way.

I have found a few older Japanese brands available in the $5k-$6k range (Yanmar, Mitsubishi, etc.) They all seem to have one thing in common: Lots of use. The whole search is becoming overwhelming. I feel like I need to narrow it down a bit. There are so many models within each brand that I cannot even keep track. I have been searching tractorhouse.com to try to find info and pricing.

So, my question is, given a budget of say $6k: What would everyone recommend insofar as an entry level used 4wd diesel tractor (I want to stay away from expensive John Deere, etc.)? Is there a minimum HP I should consider? I could use a little bit of direction here. Thank you.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #2  
Welcome, 6 grand will get you a used 40 hp machine without loader

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #3  
Hi all. I have been reading here quite a bit, and it seems the more I learn, the more overwhelmed I have become. I have been searching Craigslist in a 250 mile radius to see what is available. I have 4 acres of land. A little about what I intend to use tractor for:

Mowing brush and grasses
Spreading gravel
Grading and maintaining driveway
Drilling fence post holes
Carrying soil
Dragging around heavy objects such as railroad ties
Running cement mixer

Now, from everything I have read, most people suggest getting the largest tractor one can afford. My price range is "as little as possible." Hah! Isn't that everyone's goal? Now, I have had to adjust my expectations because I have found prices to be shockingly high. I was at first considering a Ford 8n. But, I thought about it and would like something a bit newer, that wasn't built before my mother was born. I have not completely given up on the 8n, but I would like a 4wd diesel with loader if I could have my way.

I have found a few older Japanese brands available in the $5k-$6k range (Yanmar, Mitsubishi, etc.) They all seem to have one thing in common: Lots of use. The whole search is becoming overwhelming. I feel like I need to narrow it down a bit. There are so many models within each brand that I cannot even keep track. I have been searching tractorhouse.com to try to find info and pricing.

So, my question is, given a budget of say $6k: What would everyone recommend insofar as an entry level used 4wd diesel tractor (I want to stay away from expensive John Deere, etc.)? Is there a minimum HP I should consider? I could use a little bit of direction here. Thank you.

an 8N is a great old tractor, but in many ways just a toy compared to todays tractors.
Although it was my first tractor, and actually for me a more nimble tractor then a modern tractor, for the tasks you mention you may want to antie up a few more $$'s and look in the 8-10 K range, or you may be disappointed in what you get

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #4  
Any specific reason for needing 4wd or just on the wish list? Same for the diesel? Unless you're in sloppy stuff or really hilly terrain, a properly ballasted 2wd will do pretty much everything you're asking for. I'm sure you'll get some opinions that 4wd is absolutely crucial, but if you're looking for more tractor for less money, the 4wd adds a lot of jingle to the price, and it might not be easy to find 4wd in good shape in your price range...an older machine's not necessarily a bad thing, but do a little research on parts availability...I think the 8n's are still pretty easy to find stuff for and at least around here, are pretty common machines. My first tractor was a IH 624, it was a 60hp diesel with a loader, good shape, but horrible to find parts for. I picked it trading a used 4 wheeler for it, and used it for 2 years, trading it in for $4300 bucks. Probably wouldve waited a lot longer to trade if not for the very limited parts availability. Good luck on your search, and don't hesitate to ask for input here, most of the members are pretty knowledgable in their arenas...

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models..
Thanks for the replies so far. The reason for 4wd is it rains a lot around here, and can get kind of sloppy. Not sure if I would get stuck in 2wd. Diesel? Well, I have diesel trucks, a diesel car, and just like diesels. Nothing is set in stone right now.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #6  
I'm thinking a MF 135 or something of that size.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #7  
pretendfarmer,
here's an idea. Go to tractorhouse.com and run searches on the lower horsepower tractors with a price range of $5-8K. You will then see "what's out there" a lot better than Craigslist. I'd try searching 1980 tractors and above, for safety reasons including ROPS.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #8  
If you are dismissing all John Deere's based on initial price you have much to learn. It is not the initial cost but the total spent on the machine plus parts and repairs and fuel and lubricants divided into the value of the work accomplished less the resale value (if you live that long) that counts. There it is a much closer race with some lines of JD far surpassing the competition and in others a neck and neck race. Keeping an open mind will probably save you thousands.
As to what size tractor you need for four acres it depends on where you are, and how much jingle you have in the check book. A farmer in Egypt with four acres needs a hand shovel, a hoe, and a rake. A farmer in India with the same land needs either a water buffalo or a roto tiller, In suburban America a four acre lot needs at least a twenty horsepower 4WD diesel with an AC cab and a backhoe attachment plus loader.
Enjoy the shopping process, try out several and find one that has the controls where YOU find them convenient.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #9  
From the listed chores you have, a 2WD will be plenty. If you were plowing in wet dirt, the 4WD might come in handy. But you shouldn't be plowing in wet dirt, even if you had it.

The MF 135 is a great tractor and there are still lots of them around. I have a Ford/NH 3930 [39 HP]. Something between the two would be a good size for you. And drive around in the country. If you see a farm or garden that hasn't been worked in a couple of years, stop and ask the old folks living there if they want to sell their equipment. You may be able to get much more than just the tractor. An old timer having his second heart attack was how I got my B7500 so cheap.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #10  
As others have said, do not discount John Deere because of rumors and perceptions about price. You are looking for value and if it is painted green, so be it.

As you are not a full time farmer needing to plant 100 acres before the next rain, a two wheel drive may serve you well. Most things can wait a day or two. If at all possible, get a front loader.