Looking for a new mower for 5 acres.

/ Looking for a new mower for 5 acres. #1  

BigBob

Bronze Member
Tractor
2003 Case IH DX33,1999 Kubota TG1860,Allis C
My wife and I both have back trouble. Does anyone have any suggestions for a mower at least 60" cut that rides good? Right now I am using a Kubota TG1860. My yard is rough. And I pay for it every time I mow. Worse comes to worse I'll tear up the yard and start over. I used to use a 6' finish mower on the back of my bigger Kubota, but after My assistant,(wife), got done hitting everything with it when she turns, I figured it would be less repair costs with a different mower. That's how we got the 1860.

/ Looking for a new mower for 5 acres. #2  
You might want to look at something with a suspension seat. Folks say that makes all the difference.

/ Looking for a new mower for 5 acres. #3  
I would take a look at a Ferris ZTR with both front and rear suspension., They are the only brand with this suspension and have a patent on it. I have never tested one but it is designed to give a smoother ride than conventional ZTRs and result in less shock to the mower components when going over rough terrain. I think it has a top speed of 11 mph and has 60" and 72" decks. I like the concept of this mower and would consider this for my next mower. Price is in the $6,500 to 7,000 range.

/ Looking for a new mower for 5 acres. #4  
I have a Ferris with the front suspension.It's a magnificent mower,however,you can mow so fast with it that when you hit a rough spot it's REALLY hard on the back.The front suspension really soaks up the bumps if you go at a moderate speed.

/ Looking for a new mower for 5 acres. #5  
I have 3.5 acres of rough pasture land that I've been trying to mow this summer with a Craftsman GT. Been getting beat up at half speed. I'm evaluating either a new BX2200 when they are available again at the dealer( a month from now) or a used, low time ( 120 hrs.) B2400 with FEL. Which of these tractors has the better ride for this rough property. I plan to have either tractor with a 60" belly mower and a FEL. Also lots of boulders to try and pry out of the ground if I can.
Jeff

/ Looking for a new mower for 5 acres. #6  
BigBob
I have a<font color="green"> JD </font>F735 front mower. When I bought it last year I tried several different mowers on my property. The 735 had a better ride than any of the ZTR’s that I tried. It still was hard on my back. Had to slow down in order to get the lawn cut without my back giving out.

As others have suggested get a suspension seat. I purchased one from Carter & Carter Machinery Click Here.
I can now cut at full speed (7 mph) without back problems. The mower takes a beating but my back does not have any pain.

I got 5 different mowers delivered to my place last summer. Tried them all. None of them gave me as good a ride as my<font color="orange"> Kubota </font>B2910. Settled on the <font color="green">JD</font> because of price and better ride than the ZTR’s.

/ Looking for a new mower for 5 acres. #7  
A JD 4115. The smaller ones suffer abit in ride comfort due to the smaller tires. Also the small frame models are not sky high in price. Dave

/ Looking for a new mower for 5 acres. #8  
It appears that you have the right equipment. I would take that boxblade and smooth up the yard, (that's what they do), and then mow with what you got.