First tractor:need help !

/ First tractor:need help ! #21  
Based on the size of your land, the road, etc, I'd be willing to put good money down that if you go with an L3800, you're going to wind up buying something bigger in the near future. I only have 15 acres right now (may grow to as much as 55 eventually), and I'd be really limited with an L3800. I use my loader a lot, and have had plenty of times when it wasn't powerful enough, and it can lift 1,500lbs more than the L3800 loader. I'd also be concerned that it was far too light for maintaining that road....a 2,500lb tractor is pretty light when you start doing anything along those lines.

I concur, I have 200 acres, wooded and a 900 ft driveway. I just bought a Kioti DK40. Nice and heavy, have a pull type snow blower, so I just drive and snowblow, no backing up and straining necks.

It has one of the strongest loaders in its hp range, will lift over 2700 lbs. I got a cab for winter work. Serious machine. :thumbsup:

/ First tractor:need help ! #22  
Eyi, pretty consistent advice here to be in the 40+ hp range, same as what I said at the start of this thread. L3800 is stretching on its tiptoes to get in that size bracket. Of course it'll do your mowing and snow removal, but there's a strong chance you'll eventually find it isn't quite enough tractor for what typically happens on 100 acres of property. Can't say that's always true - there are folks with that size tractor happily managing 100+ acres with it - but more often people with that much property want something larger.

The next step up in size, into a heavy-frame 40+ hp unit brings a large increase in capability. Up to you, of course, but the "conventional wisdom" to get a tractor that's one size larger than what you think you'll need would probably apply pretty well for your property. Shop all the major brands - they all have good products in that size range - and decide for yourself the combination of tractor, dealer and price you like best.

/ First tractor:need help ! #23  
The next step up in size, into a heavy-frame 40+ hp unit brings a large increase in capability. Up to you, of course, but the "conventional wisdom" to get a tractor that's one size larger than what you think you'll need would probably apply pretty well for your property. Shop all the major brands - they all have good products in that size range - and decide for yourself the combination of tractor, dealer and price you like best.

That and the almost universal truth that tractors shrink when you bring them home! :D

/ First tractor:need help !
Hope you are not right. Ordered the machine this morning. Have to begin somewhere, am telling me it is a "decent" size machine with a good market for if never it doesn't suit my needs in the future.

Well thanks a lot, I've learned almost 95 % of what I know today on TBN.

/ First tractor:need help ! #25  
the good thing about the L3800 is they do have a good resale value if or when you do make the jump into a bigger tractor

/ First tractor:need help ! #26  
Eyi, you do indeed have to start somewhere and you will get a lot of good work out of the L3800. If your projects get bigger (seems like they always do, sooner or later), well you can deal with that when the time comes. Meanwhile, use it safely, take good care of it and enjoy it! And, share some pics of it at work when you get it!

/ First tractor:need help ! #27  
Querry can you get a hydraulic drive snow blower? If so does your tractor have enough oil pump volume to drive it?

/ First tractor:need help ! #28  
I guess it is too late now that you have ordered your tractor, but I was going to suggest that you ask your dealer if they have a mobile service truck. Some dealers only work in their shop and even minor repairs or maintenance will require hauling the tractor to the dealer for service. That can get expensive if you don't do your own hauling. A 20 mile trip is going to cost you $100 each way minimum, further will be more. Some of the better dealers will throw in free pick up and delivery for 2 years for warranty or repair work. I bought a trailer capable of hauling my tractor just for this reason (and going to get the Kubota when I bought it) A dual 3500 axle trailer would have hauled the B26 but I went with a dual 6000# axle/brakes on both that will also haul my 70 HP LS. It pretty much paid for itself in the pickup of the B26 that was about 600 miles away.
I think the 3800 will work well for you, it may be a little slow but it will get the job done.