Anyone own a polaris ranger?

/ Anyone own a polaris ranger? #1  

kubotachief

Tractor
kubota b2910
I am thinking of buying a polaris ranger. I have not test drove one yet but wanted some opinions. I like the 4x4 --four wheel version. Since they are belt driven do they free wheel down steep hills or do they engine brake? I live in very hilly country---are they good on the hills? I have owned honda 4-wheelers for years. I think they are great but since honda has no utility veichle /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I need to explore other options. Thanks for the expert advice. Glenn

/ Anyone own a polaris ranger? #2  
My neighbor has a 4WD Polaris Ranger. He's on about 30 acres on a steep hillside (small mountain?). Uses it with a plow for snow removal on about a 1/2 mile steep, multiple switchback driveway. Don't know about free-wheeling.

/ Anyone own a polaris ranger? #3  
You might want to wait for the new JD Gator 4x4 to come out or get a 6x4 diesel now. We have owned a Gator for quite some time now. We bought ours when they first came out and have had no problems with it. They do freewheel a slight bit but corner great at top speed! Highly recommended.

Nick

/ Anyone own a polaris ranger? #4  
Check this comparison page out. You can click on the side bar for the other brands out there.

Comparison

As far as the Brakin system I have had a couple of Polaris ATV 4 wheelers and I am on the understanding that anything with the automatic transmission had EBS which is a hold back system. Emergency Braking System.

But you may want to double check it out though.

murph

/ Anyone own a polaris ranger? #5  
The big complaint about JD Gators is the clearance; OK for lawns, flat areas but they hang-up on soft/plowed ground etc. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Anyone own a polaris ranger? #6  
We have never had one bit of problem with clearance with Gators. I can show you pics of going over about everything there is on one. I've got a Mule too and they both go anywhere you'd expect one to go. Never been high centered with either one.

/ Anyone own a polaris ranger? #7  
You might want to check out the Land Pride vehicles. They have 20hp Honda motors and seem to be pretty sturdy, though I havn't driven one yet. My Century Tractor dealer is selling them and you might have to look at a tractor dealer in your area.

/ Anyone own a polaris ranger? #8  
I would echo the concern about the clearance on a Gator. I own a 4x2 Gator and it is easy to scrape the bottom on uneven terrain. I believe it lacks pulling power and is noisy in my opinion. I am going to look at the new version and also the Kubota. The Ranger is not a low profile utility vehicle and the box is minimal in my opinion.

/ Anyone own a polaris ranger? #9  
My nephew has a 700 Polaris Sportsman that free-wheels badly going downhill. I suspect that the Ranger may have the same tendency, but I don't know. Product comparisons that I have seen lead me to strongly desire a Ranger over a Gator, Mule, or Rough Country (Cub Cadet) despite this possibility. After going to the Polaris website and checking out the video comparisons, I can't imagine anyone not buying the Polaris over the other two (Gator or Mule). However an individuals needs/preferences may make one of the other two suit them better. Comparison of specs will show a considerable advantage for the Polaris in terms of power, speed, ground clearance, and capacities (towing & payload). That being said, Yamaha has a new machine with even more power (660 cc), 12.1 inches of ground clearance, and even greater suspension travel. Payload and towing capacities are not as high (900/1200 vs. 1000/1500). The Yamaha is faster reaching speeds, but is limited to 30 mph. vs. 40 mph for Ranger. Prices are actually $500 less for the Yamaha Rhino or the same @ $8999 in camo. The September issue of ATV magazine has an article on page 21 about the new Rhino. Don't know how it would compare head-to-head against the Ranger, but you may want to check it out before you make a purchase. Polaris has true 4-wheel drive (on demand) vs. Yamaha's 2-wheel drive, 4-wheel with limited - slip front, or locked 4-wheel drive for ultimate traction. The drive line is the automatic "Ultramatic" CVT with 4-wheel engine breaking. Hope this has been helpful.

/ Anyone own a polaris ranger? #10  
I can't imagine anyone not buying the Polaris over the other two (Gator or Mule).

First reason is ground compaction. You won't see very many UV's where compaction is an issue. Secondly is they are not as stable as a Gator either. It's pretty easy to tip over my mule or my buddies polaris but almost impossible to tip over the Gator. Thirdly is the Gator is not everything you mentioned. It isn't as fast, isn't as peppy, isn't as nimble. YOu say well duh why not buy one. I guess it's kind of like buying a Ferrari to drive everyday to work. You step on the pedal and the Polaris takes off like a rocket. If you're working on a ranch and have numerous people driving it, my case my little girls and hired hands, you don't want them dumping cargo out and racing all over the property. It's easier to drive around putting.

Now if I was buying one to go hunting with or out 4wd'ng my pick would be the Polaris. But just because the Gator or Mule isn't at the top of the heap in hp, agility, etc. doesn't mean it isn't a very useful machine in it's niche.