Help me make a list of candidates

/ Help me make a list of candidates #1  

GManBart

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 241, Kubota SVL90-2
Hey all,

For a number of reasons, I've decided that I need a tractor dedicated to my 90" finish mower, and 72" brush cutter. So, I'm looking to come up with a list of candidates to keep my eye out for on CL, Ebay, etc. Basic requirements are 30hp at the PTO (or very close to that), diesel, and a live PTO. I really won't budge on those three specs. Power steering, and 1960s or newer would be preferable.

I'm considering something like a MF 231, Deere 820/830, 3-cylinder Fords in the 2000 series, and a few others. Any models you've had good luck with that I might consider?

/ Help me make a list of candidates #2  
What kind of budget are you looking at? Massey had a very good diesel, MF135??? The Ford diesels in the 2000-4000 series were good also.

/ Help me make a list of candidates
What kind of budget are you looking at? Massey had a very good diesel, MF135??? The Ford diesels in the 2000-4000 series were good also.

No real set budget, but I looked at a super clean MF 231 with only 259 hours on the meter the other day, and they're asking $7,500. I probably wouldn't want to go much over that. The ROPS of the 231 would give it the nod over a similar 135 in my mind (same engine in both). I thought I was going to really want the 231, but I found it awkward to get on/off, and the controls for the rear remote were poking me in the arm....that sort of made me rethink things.

shortly before that, I thought I was going to make an offer on a Ford 961 diesel, but it's got some issues (fuel leaking into the oil pan, and they can't get it to start), and the owners aren't really tractor people, so they're not making much of an effort to sort it out. So, I'm back to looking, and wanted to broaden my search.

/ Help me make a list of candidates #4  
If they were willing to deal on the 961 you might be able to get it for a good deal and have a mechanic go through the engine. I have a propane 961 that has been a very good tractor for me. Good luck and keep looking, there are still a lot of good older diesels out there.

/ Help me make a list of candidates #5  
I would go with one of the following:
Late model Oliver 550 diesel
Ford 4000 diesel
Massey Ferguson 235 diesel
JD 1530

/ Help me make a list of candidates #6  
Ford 4000 diesel
JD 1530

Ford 4000 diesel
JD 1530

All good choices. My concern with the JD and Ford 4000 (3 cylinder version) is that they're a little heavy at almost 5,000lbs unloaded. I'd like to be more like 4k, but that's not a hard limit.

/ Help me make a list of candidates #8  
I 2nd the MF 135 wide stance diesel.They also can be found with rops. called the Missouri safety package.

I really should give some credit to the Ebay seller. I saw the listing while I was in Virginia last week, and realized it wouldn't be terribly far out of my way during my drive home on Friday. I sent him a note asking if there was any chance I could inspect the tractor on Friday, as I would be passing through the area. I left him my cell phone number, and said he could call me on Friday morning, but I would understand if it wasn't possible. He quickly replied that he would call me Friday morning. Sure enough, I was driving along at 7:30 on Friday when he called. He said that he was heading out of town, but that he'd already put the tractor outside his outbuilding, with the keys in it, and I was welcome to drive it around....very cool! I did just that, and spent a good 30min inspecting, and driving it....very strong running machine that was every bit as good as the description.

The short version is that tractor people really are decent folks....he didn't know me from Adam, but made it possible for me to inspect the machine even when he wasn't going to be around. I'm actually happy that I bought it from him because those are the kinds of folks I like doing business with. Now to get it home!