Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Default Re: About to buy, advice and sanity check requested (includes prices)

Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    PM Sent!
    Reply sent.!
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    Kioti CK35 HST

Quote Originally Posted by GManBart View Post
    A picture without any explanation doesn't make any point in many cases, and certainly not in this case.

The OP is new to tractors, how can you assume he knows that there are tractors using those mowers even though they aren't the same width? Without some sort of explanation, it doesn't help him at all, and he's left to guess.
    Not to fuel this fire, but I was indeed confused by the pictures posted. I first thought that they must be the wrong pictures or otherwise I was missing something. I am new to tractors, so a little explanation and nudge in the right direction goes a long way.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by dkair View Post
    Not to fuel this fire, but I was indeed confused by the pictures posted. I first thought that they must be the wrong pictures or otherwise I was missing something. I am new to tractors, so a little explanation and nudge in the right direction goes a long way.
    And I apologize for that.

But you can use up to a 6 foot brush hog as long as you don't let the pasture get too overgrown. So if you run across a good deal on one, don't be afraid purchase it.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Kioti CK35 HST

Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    And I apologize for that.

But you can use up to a 6 foot brush hog as long as you don't let the pasture get too overgrown. So if you run across a good deal on one, don't be afraid purchase it.
    Sounds good. Speaking of good deals, is there a particular time of year that better deals are to be had? I plan to check some local auctions and would assume that fall would be a good time to look, but maybe people sell more in the spring when demand is higher?

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Sounds good. Speaking of good deals, is there a particular time of year that better deals are to be had? I plan to check some local auctions and would assume that fall would be a good time to look, but maybe people sell more in the spring when demand is higher?
    Depends on the implement you are looking for as to timing. Best rule of thumb is 'off season'.

Unless it's an estate sale. Then try to attend estate sales in inclement weather........as bad weather keeps most folks home and prices are generally lower.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Kioti CK35 HST

It appears the Kioti extended the free loader promo through August, which gives me more time to consider. However, I am pretty convinced that Kioti and the CK35 are the way to go. The extension may give me a little more negotiating power with the dealer, however. I am going to re-read through all the responses tonight and compile the details into what I'll request. But for now I must tend to the chickens and some garden chores.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

It appears the Kioti extended the free loader promo through August, which gives me more time to consider. However, I am pretty convinced that Kioti and the CK35 are the way to go. The extension may give me a little more negotiating power with the dealer, however. I am going to re-read through all the responses tonight and compile the details into what I'll request. But for now I must tend to the chickens and some garden chores.
    Let us know your decision............inquiring minds want to know
    Don

Tractor
    Mahindra 5530 4WD Turbo - Gear,

dkair,

I see you have not mentioned the type of soil or terrain that you are farming in. If your in Stearns county (CN Minn) your soil composition can vary from sandy loam to black gumbo which have a bearing on the HP you need to operate certain implements for tillage. If any ground engaging implements are in the future (disc as you mentioned) you'll need the HP especially if it's a pull type. I know the soil & land there cause I was raised on it.

idaho2

Tractor
    Ford 8N, LS R4047H, Massey Ferguson 241, Hustler Sport ZTR

I stumbled onto the local farm auction scene, and scored really good deals at the first big auction if the year.....well before any real farming was being done. Your local TSC, or hardware store will likely have fliers. Still, Craigslist usually has some decent deals if you pay attention, and other places are worth keeping in mind. I bought a solid 5' brush cutter, and 72" rake for $500 from an antique store in a farming community. The cutter had a questionable gearbox, but that was a $150 fix for a factory new Omni replacement, so I'm still only around $450 into it.

Tractor
    Kioti CK35 HST

Quote Originally Posted by idaho2 View Post
    dkair,

I see you have not mentioned the type of soil or terrain that you are farming in. If your in Stearns county (CN Minn) your soil composition can vary from sandy loam to black gumbo which have a bearing on the HP you need to operate certain implements for tillage. If any ground engaging implements are in the future (disc as you mentioned) you'll need the HP especially if it's a pull type. I know the soil & land there cause I was raised on it.

idaho2
    Good question. Soil is clay loam. Our field and garden area are pretty flat, although there are some pretty steep hills around here. I'll be pulling some logs from steep areas, but most other work will be on fairly flat terrain.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast