Buying Advice Belly Mower, 3PH Finish Mower, or other

/ Belly Mower, 3PH Finish Mower, or other #1  

LeeWorm

Tractor
2013 Mahindra 3016 Shuttle w/ FEL & BH
Guys,

I am getting ready to purchase my first tractor and I am trying to whittle my list of perspective machines down to a select few. My main question is about the mower. I just closed on 2.5 acres of cleared land that used to be cane fields so it's not perfectly flat. By the time I finish the construction of the house, shed, and landscaping there will be roughly 1.5 acres of open land to cut.

Considering the slight ripple on the terrain should I get the belly mower or opt for the less expensive 3PH finish mower? I have even thought about simply getting a bush hog for the time being and getting a zero-turn to handle the finish work once the construction is finished because by the time that comes I will have had to re-grade the area anyway.

Also because there is a covenant, I would have to keep the lot groomed just as if I was living in the "burbs"...

Thanks in advance for any input,

Lee

Last edited:
   / Belly Mower, 3PH Finish Mower, or other #2  
On what tractor are you putting this on?

/ Belly Mower, 3PH Finish Mower, or other #3  
Dont bother with a zero turn, get an RFM. Why have multiple engines to maintain? And unless you are spending big $$ on a good zero turn, most are throw away junk.

/ Belly Mower, 3PH Finish Mower, or other #4  
I'd also recommend the rear finishing mower. Since the lot is uneven, the RFM will handle it better then a mid-mount.
Also, if you do go for a ZTR eventually, an RFM is much easier to sell.

/ Belly Mower, 3PH Finish Mower, or other #5  
I am assuming the land is pretty wide open and there are few obstructions like trees, flower beds, etc. If so, teh RFM is the nest choice in my opinion. if there are lots of tress and such, the zero turn will work out better.

Good luck.

MoKelly

/ Belly Mower, 3PH Finish Mower, or other
On what tractor are you putting this on?

These are the models that I am seriously considering:
Mahindra Max28XL w/ ML205 FEL & MB63A BH
John Deere 2025R w/H130 FEL & 270A BH
Kubota B2620 w/ LA634 FEL & BH65 BH
New Holland Boomer 25 w/ 235TLA FEL & 915GH BH
Mahindra 3016 w/ ML115 FEL & MB65D BH
Kubota B2920 w/ LA634 FEL & BH65 BH

Murph, I did take a look at the Kioti CK series but the nearest dealers are not close enough nor are they open on the weekends. I don't mind taking a "ride" to look at tractors but knowing that there isn't a service center remotely close that is at least open until 1200 on Saturdays is rubbing me the wrong way.

/ Belly Mower, 3PH Finish Mower, or other #7  
These are the models that I am seriously considering:
Mahindra Max28XL w/ ML205 FEL & MB63A BH
John Deere 2025R w/H130 FEL & 270A BH
Kubota B2620 w/ LA634 FEL & BH65 BH
New Holland Boomer 25 w/ 235TLA FEL & 915GH BH
Mahindra 3016 w/ ML115 FEL & MB65D BH
Kubota B2920 w/ LA634 FEL & BH65 BH

Murph, I did take a look at the Kioti CK series but the nearest dealers are not close enough nor are they open on the weekends. I don't mind taking a "ride" to look at tractors but knowing that there isn't a service center remotely close that is at least open until 1200 on Saturdays is rubbing me the wrong way.

You may want to look at an LS J2030H, it's the same machine as the Boomer 25, but the loader has more lift, and breakout force, plus goes 5" higher (NH sources the loader from someone else). The bonus is that it should cost significantly less than the NH since they're the original manufacturer. As a side note, you can get parts/service from any NH, and quite a few have reportedly said they would do warranty work if LS authorizes it. My dealer lists the 23hp version (J2020H) at $12,850 with the FEL....the 2030 should be $1k more or less.

/ Belly Mower, 3PH Finish Mower, or other
You may want to look at an LS J2030H, it's the same machine as the Boomer 25, but the loader has more lift, and breakout force, plus goes 5" higher (NH sources the loader from someone else). The bonus is that it should cost significantly less than the NH since they're the original manufacturer. As a side note, you can get parts/service from any NH, and quite a few have reportedly said they would do warranty work if LS authorizes it. My dealer lists the 23hp version (J2020H) at $12,850 with the FEL....the 2030 should be $1k more or less.

Thanks GManBart! There are several dealerships relatively close.

/ Belly Mower, 3PH Finish Mower, or other #9  
Oh, make sure you get a floating hitch on the RFM, well worth it !!