Ford 861 diesel purchase

/ Ford 861 diesel purchase #1  

Reece73

Tractor
Ford 8n
Looking for advice on a purchase.

I have an 8n currently and love it. It's a great little workhorse. I use it to mow with a rotary cutter and different farm chores. Best of all so far I have been able to fix everything that has stopped working. However I'm starting to realize its limitations. It's lightweight and low horsepower, it's lift can only handle 800 at best, and it doesn't have a live PTO. I'm wanting to be able to handle round bales, and possibly bale with a square baler in the future, and also plow(my land is all very dense clay). So I'm looking for another tractor and thinking that an 861 would fit the bill as far as its abilities and cost.

The one I'm looking at now is a diesel that seems to run fine. It puts out some smoke upon starting that clears up shortly. It runs pretty loud compared to an 8n. I'm going to have to redo the brakes as they currently do nothing. The injector side of the engine is covered in black grease. I'll have to reinstall the Neutral saftety switch as they have bypassed it. Otherwise I'll just be doing a lot of cleaning it up. He wants 2950 for it.

Will this tractor do what I want?
Are diesels harder to work on?
Are 801's harder to work on in general?
Does this one sound like a workable tractor or a mess of work?

Appreciate the help

/ Ford 861 diesel purchase #2  
Sorry that no one posted a timely reply! Honestly, I know very little about the Powermasters except I believe they are fine tractors.

I am originally from Kirksville! Graduated high school in 1980. Left in 84, married a gal from LaPlata a couple years later. Her folks have a farm south of Millard.

Did you end up with the 861? With your uses, this should be fine..tad on the small, but overall it will work. The Diesel engine has 56 HP, and your rear lift is 1250 pounds. That price seems reasonable if everything is in or close to working order.

Let me know, am curious if we might have crossed paths at one time.