Trailer advice

/ Trailer advice #1  

dclynch

Silver Member
Tractor
Rhino International
Hoping I can get some advice. I am looking at purchasing a Big Tex Gp14 with a 24' bed and 5' dove tail. Do you have any reccomendations? Other brands? I know this one only has 14,000 lb capability but the only thing I will be hauling will be my tractor which I think weighs right around 5,000 lbs with the loader. I want the 24' bed so I can haul my tiller and brush hog at the same time along with my 4 wheeler. I had a 28' enclosed trailer that was great as everything fit but it was just not designed to haul a tractor the back door which was the loading ramp was starting to get tweaked. I ended up selling that and figured a gooseneck would be the way to go. Was tired of messing with the weight distribution hitch also. I only haul this maybe 3 times a year to our deer lease which is about 45 miles one way.

/ Trailer advice #2  
I went with a 24+5 foot Top Hat trailer. A lot of options on other brands are standard on Top Hats. LED lights, lockable tool box, tie downs on the GN, lockable spare tire.
hugs, Brandi 8-11-12 First Ride on New Trailer.jpg8-5-12 New Trailer with Bobcat 770 on it.jpg

/ Trailer advice #3  
My three choices would be cornpro,PJ and cronkhite trailers.coobie

/ Trailer advice #4  
I've got the BigTex and found to be a very good trailer. I've added an 8500lb winch running off a deep cycle battery charged by solar.

/ Trailer advice #5  
CornPro and Moritz

/ Trailer advice #6  
245.jpg246.jpg247.jpg
Hard to beat a LoadMax. Built like a tank. This is a 25+5 that I've hauled a 20,000lb dozer on for 400 miles, and numerous tractors/implements.....great trailer. This is my 3rd Loadmax. 1st was a 22' bumper pull with a huge 12" beam that was also built like a tank. Currently also own a 22" LoadMax tandem dually dump trailer that's also a beast. They're not light, but built to last.

/ Trailer advice #7  
I guess it all depends on what part of the country you live in. Top Hat trailers are made in northeast Texas. Never heard of these trailers...............Cornpro, Cronkhite trailers.coobie and Moritz.
hugs, Brandi

/ Trailer advice #8  
I guess it all depends on what part of the country you live in. Top Hat trailers are made in northeast Texas. Never heard of these trailers...............Cornpro, Cronkhite trailers.coobie and Moritz.
hugs, Brandi

I think Coobie was the poster....:D

/ Trailer advice #9  
Hoping I can get some advice. I am looking at purchasing a Big Tex Gp14 with a 24' bed and 5' dove tail. Do you have any reccomendations? Other brands? I know this one only has 14,000 lb capability but the only thing I will be hauling will be my tractor which I think weighs right around 5,000 lbs with the loader. I want the 24' bed so I can haul my tiller and brush hog at the same time along with my 4 wheeler. I had a 28' enclosed trailer that was great as everything fit but it was just not designed to haul a tractor the back door which was the loading ramp was starting to get tweaked. I ended up selling that and figured a gooseneck would be the way to go. Was tired of messing with the weight distribution hitch also. I only haul this maybe 3 times a year to our deer lease which is about 45 miles one way.

Are you referring to the 14 GP with a 24' floor? I use a 12PI to haul my backhoe and tractor for about 8 years now with no problems.

I like the 14GP and the 14PI series pipe trailers as they are light and have a high payload capacity for their weight. Just make sure your equipment will fit between the rails. I also like the low loading height, keeps the center of gravity low.

I have a couple of Bigtex trailers and have had good service with them, for the money I am well satisfied.

/ Trailer advice #10  
I would think that 14K # capacity would be more than plenty for hauling a 5000# tractor and accessories. While many of the recommendations are surely good trailers, tandem axle dually's are way overkill for your needs. Big Tex may not be the "Super Dog" of trailers but they seem to be pretty well made for the price and for light duty loads (no Dozers or Excavators) they should work fine.
I haul my LS P 7010 (around 8500 #)with FEL on a 20 foot 12K rated bumper pull carhauler without any problems. One thing to look at other than width is the fenders. Are they strong enough to hold up your tractor should you "accidently" run up on the or are they just light gauge pressed sheet metal. Mine are made from checker plate and easily hold up my tractor's weight without deflecting or damage.