Buying Advice Cabela's selling Compact Tractors

/ Cabela's selling Compact Tractors #21  
I agree with the above posters that these are re-badged TYM tractors. The 50hp cab model looks like the T503 I looked at a couple of weeks ago.

The biggest difference is the price tag. The Cabela's model is $39k. The Tym was $29k. The Mahindra 5010 is basically the same thing with a Daedong engine instead of the Perkins, and it's about $29k also.

Hmmm, $10k for green paint, some camo and a name change? Not for me.

/ Cabela's selling Compact Tractors #22  
They are charging $959 for a $750 scraper blade.

I thought Woods did not want to sell their stuff online.

/ Cabela's selling Compact Tractors #23  
I stopped by the Cabelas on I-35W (north side of Ft. Worth) this morning to take a look at the tractors. They told me they go on sale August 21 and they have asked employees for volunteers to demonstrate the tractors the weekend of August 24 & 25. So I didn't get a very close look because what they have is in a fenced storage lot and they obviously have a lot of them, both open station and cab models that appear ready to go (one even had a post hole digger attached) and they have quite a number of crated tractors, too. You might find this link interesting:

Tractors : Cabela's

/ Cabela's selling Compact Tractors #24  
Existing products being marked up for a licensed brand-name is nothing unusual, but the roughly ~30% premium over the standard model seems excessive. It may be that Cabela's is starting the MSRP high so that it can always be on sale - one of Sears' favorite tricks. When I worked for Dick's Sporting Goods, it was common to set the MSRP for a new product 30-50% higher than what they intended to sell it for, before it even went on the shelf, then have it "on sale" the first day at 30-50% off. You'll know a retailer is doing this when their ad says "originally priced $xx.xx, on sale for $xx.xx".

Or, they may be intending to try to command that premium. They may expect an ignorance-captivated audience (ignorance in the true sense of the word - not dumba55). If a couple guys with a newly signed hunting lease sitting around talking about all the things that Deer Slayer Monthly says they have to do to have a sucessful deer herd, they're more likely to wander into a Cabela's before they do a bunch of research about tractors or land management tools. And if they only do some minimal reading on land management, they're likely to make the assumption that the "kind" of tractor Cabela's would sell would somehow be better suited for what they want to do - namely manage land for deer hunting.

It's kind of like the camouflage ATV. Why? It makes about as much sense as a camo snare-drum, but look how much money "serious" hunters spend on camo ATVs, flashlights, and hunting knives. By the time my knife is involved, I'm not too worried about the game seeing me.

/ Cabela's selling Compact Tractors #25  
They may expect an ignorance-captivated audience (ignorance in the true sense of the word - not dumba55).
It's kind of like the camouflage ATV. Why? It makes about as much sense as a camo snare-drum, but look how much money "serious" hunters spend on camo ATVs, flashlights, and hunting knives. By the time my knife is involved, I'm not too worried about the game seeing me.

So true. My sons and I always laugh too when we see the a guy walking down the street in the city wearing camo cargo pants. We still see you!!!LMAO!!!

/ Cabela's selling Compact Tractors #26  
And the best part is...they'll probably sell a few. I was curious about servicing, looks like they have even set up a servicing dept. What about parts though.....
most important question.....wonder if the $5 dollar shiping applies to tractors??? :laughing: :laughing:

/ Cabela's selling Compact Tractors #27  
By the time my knife is involved, I'm not too worried about the game seeing me.

Rolling on the floor here:laughing:.. In fact a nice orange handle on the knife is a good idea, when you drop the dang thing in the leaves and cant find it!

/ Cabela's selling Compact Tractors #28  
Rolling on the floor here:laughing:.. In fact a nice orange handle on the knife is a good idea, when you drop the dang thing in the leaves and cant find it!
That's exactly what i was thinking, i have a hard enough time finding my stuff without it being camo.:ashamed:

/ Cabela's selling Compact Tractors #29  
That's exactly what i was thinking, i have a hard enough time finding my stuff without it being camo.:ashamed:

One of the smartest investments I ever made was a roll of fluorescent orange duct tape. I wrapped every flashlight, hammer, pry bar, sheath and knife handle I own with a strip of the stuff. It has saved me countless hours of searching for stuff.

Call me an optimist, but I don't see too many customers buying something as expensive as a tractor without doing just a little bit of comparison shopping first. As others have said, maybe they set the prices artificially high. I would guess they did it so customers can beat their chests about how much they bargained them down. Never underestimate the ego of the average hunter or fisherman.

"He wanted $X but I made him knock it down to $Y", said while puffing out one's chest and strutting around the driveway. Don't we all know that guy? I do--in fact, I'm related to a couple of them.

/ Cabela's selling Compact Tractors #30  
Call me an optimist, but I don't see too many customers buying something as expensive as a tractor without doing just a little bit of comparison shopping first. As others have said, maybe they set the prices artificially high. I would guess they did it so customers can beat their chests about how much they bargained them down. Never underestimate the ego of the average hunter or fisherman.

"He wanted $X but I made him knock it down to $Y", said while puffing out one's chest and strutting around the driveway. Don't we all know that guy? I do--in fact, I'm related to a couple of them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know that guy too... I'd look at their asking price and consider 15-20% off to be a real world selling price. Most normal dealers have a 30% margin, or so...or they had better be throwing in a free FEL or whatever.