Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Many

Any product that Cabelas, Walmart, Home Depot, etc sells has to be a commodity that if it doesn't move will not be continued to be offered. How many times have you gone in and bought something at one of these stores, then a few months later need another one and guess what, they don't offer the product any longer or know anything about it.

Cabelas sells boats, some pretty expensive ones so maybe they can sell tractors and cars too for that matter. I want to be able to go into a boat dealer or a tractor dealer and talk to the old fart behind the counter that completes my sentences for me because he knows what I am talking about. I will pay a premium for this ability and for those buying tractors at Cabelas ...... Good luck when it breaks down in the field under warranty.
    Last edited by TomSeller; 08-20-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5240 HSTC

Default Re: Cabela's selling Compact Tractors

I got an email from them this week with a video about their program:
    Wildlife & Land Management : Cabela's

Personally, I think it's a great concept and from a marketing perspective a good complement to their customer base. Agreed they are at the higher end of the price range but it's working for them. I live 10 min from one and they're always packed.

I appreciate their thought about hiring biologists to help landowners and hope they're committed. Was talking to them about a rotary cutter and the guy told me to go speak to the boat salesmen and suggested to me that they'll come off the list prices. I'm not ready to buy and they dont go up to 84" so I didn't see how much they'll come down.

I like their business model and think they're a great company, I pheasant hunt in the TX panhandle and no other place carries that type of equipment down here. I have a Cabellas credit card and a few weeks ago they called me and gave me free tickets to see Luke Bryan!

Tractor
    Mahindra 3510

I have always considered Cabela's to be a great place to get name brand products. All their product will go "on sale" sometime [usually after the season is over].
    always buy what I need after and not before the season starts.

Wonder when the tractor season ends to catch a "sale"!!
    PROUD AIR FORCE DAD

Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

Well, even in these hard times compact tractors are selling. So, I can't blame them for getting on the band wagon. Bass Pro has their boats. So, Cabelas will have their tractors.

I think if you are not smart enough to research the equipment you want to buy, then you can pay through the nose. Just like anything else. They will make some good sales since that segment of the population shops there and does not know any better. Gunmonkey said it all in his thread, (#24). How many will get on TBN and learn, first? I think most will impulse buy, since they don't know any better.

The question is...will we need another TBN forum for Cabelas tractors? Will the TYM owners get along with the Cabelas owners and their uppety priced camo models? Kinda like Toyota vs Lexus. We will see...tune in...same time..same channel, bat fans...
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Silver Member
    Tractor
    '65 IH Cub Lo-Boy, '13 Kioti DK50SE HST

It's Brand Loyalty folks - how many trucks do you see with a Cabela's sticker on it? Cabela's doesn't give those stickers away or pay people to advertise for them, they sell them. How many guys are loyal to their brand of tractor and won't buy anything else? Same thing, that's why they can ask more - because of their name and brand loyalty. And one thing is for sure Cabela's has great customer service, I don't see them falling down on a capital commitment this big.

Tractor
    Massey 1648 HST Cab

I would suspect they may run into the same problem that NH is finding, regarding selling a rebadged tractor for substantially more than the original. You will only sell to extremely brand loyal folks, or those not savvy enough to research a product before buying.

With that said, being that Cabella's is not actually manufacturing anything, and can just have TYM build each tractor to order, they don't stand to lose any money. I think it's a potential winner for TYM also, because IF the Cabella's tractors do well, and people eventually learn that TYM manufactures them, it may bolster sales and recognition for TYM.

It has worked out for LS, with their build contract for New Holland & Case. But in that incidence, it has hurt NH sales. Many people are now aware that the Boomer line is just rebadged LS clones, so they go down the street to the LS dealer and buy the same tractor for thousands less.

While it hurts NH's market share, that won't hurt Cabella's; they don't have market share yet, so they don't stand to lose anything.
    Massey 1648 HST Cab
    QA 72'' bucket * 60" Custom Grapple Bucket * QA Forks * 8' Rhino HD Back Blade * 84" Rhino Box Blade
    84" LandPride Rake * 78" KK HD Box Discs * WorkSaver SG-26 Stump Grinder * Middle buster plow * Wallenstein BX42s Chipper
    Hustler Z Diesel 66" ZTR mower (25 hp Shibaura diesel)
    20' PJ Equipment Hauler/Trailer
    2008 F250 Crew V10 4x4

233 hrs @ 7/28/14

Tractor
    JD 790

Walmart is next in line for tractors the way the world is going. Maybe on line at Amazon.

Yes, I wish they would. Then cars. Most of us here on this site, I am sure, do a lot of research and know exactly what we want. By the time Im ready to buy the only thing Im looking for is who has the lowest price. I don't need a salesmen wasting my time telling me about the features whether its a tractor or truck.

Tractor
    Cabela's LM35H

I noticed this and similar threads related to Cabela's Tractors and I thought it would be helpful to lay out all of the information about this topic. Full disclosure, I am a 20-year veteran of the Ag Equipment industry and I currently serve as an advisor to Cabela's Wildlife & Land Management business, which includes amongst other products, compact tractors and tractor implements. The Tractorbynet community has always been a great source of information related to tractors, and the users themselves represent the best of the small tractor enthusiasts. In the interest of getting all of the correct information presented, here are the key facts:

1. The tractors are indeed built by Tong Yang Moolsan at their brand-new Iksan South Korea (South Korea is home to LG, Samsung, Hyundai to name a few prominant brands) manufacturing plant, which is ISO 9001 certified. Probably the cleanest, most well-organized tractor plant I've ever seen, and I've been fortunate to see many; from North America, South America, Western Europe, Eastern Europe and Asia. This plant is second to none in terms of a focus on quality. Cabela's tractors are now offered in 35HP ROPS, Gear and Hydro, 43HP ROPS and CAB, Gear or Hydro and 50HP ROPS and Cab, Gear and Hydro. The 35s all come with one set of rear remotes, the 43 and 50 come with two sets. All ROPS models come with a canopy as standard, the Cab models are fully decked out with heat/AC, audio systems, front and rear wipers, front and rear work lights and even a leather seat with backrest extension, something not typically found in compact tractors.

2. All tractor attachments and implements are made by Woods Equipment, and are branded Cabela's by Woods. This includes loaders, backhoes, rotary cutters, totary tillers, finish mowers, grading scrapers, rear blades, box scrapers, post-hole-diggers, stump grinders, landscape rakes, root grapples, snow blowers, pallet forks and bale spears.

3. The tires and wheels are made by Titan, and are offered in R1, R3 and R4.

4. Cabela's services all of the equipment in their state-of-the-art service shops located at every Cabela's Wildlife & Land Management location, either in a facility attached to the main building or within a mile or two of the store. Cabela's has been servicing boats with outboard engines up to 300HP, so they already understand the connection between machinery sales and service. For tractors, they added overhead cranes, high capacity forklifts, new tools, etc., and most important of all, experienced tractor technicians. Cabela's has the capability to perform any repair, including splitting a transmission if needed.

5. Cabela's has done several things to enhance the Tong Yang tractor, including the installation of steel shields mounted in the undercarriage to protect the fuel tank, filters, hoses and other exposed areas of the tractor. Cabela's is known for understanding how their customers use their products, and they believe that taking these extra steps to protect an investment is the right thing to do.

6. As for pricing, we all know that list price and final price are two very different things. When sitting down to get an actual quote, the Cabela's equipment prices are far below those of the top two brands, and are highly competitive with all of the others. Considering the Woods implements, Titan Tires & Wheels, enhanced shielding, five year powertrain and three-year full machine warranty--all parts and labor included with no deductible, canopy standard on all ROPS models, Cabela's believes that they offer a lot of value and they back everything up. Cabela's has trademarked the term "Legendary Customer Service," and it is deeply embedded in their culture. The customer IS always right as far as they are concerned.

7. As far as whether offering compact tractor and implements fits the Cabela's brand; consider this. The Rural Lifestyler that buys and uses compact tractors is the very customer that lives the outfoor lifestyle that Cabela's has served for over 50 years. From selling trout flies through the mail during their humble beginnings in Western Nebraska, to having over 50 locations now open in North America, with another 23 under construction, Dick, Mary and Jim Cabela have always had a sense for finding new ways to serve their customers. Though Dick passed away just last month, Mary and Jim are not only still with us, Jim is the Cabela's Chairman of the Board. He was also amongst the first to buy a Cabela's tractor. Pretty amazing stuff when you think about it.

I hope that readers will find this information useful; at least it is an accurate overview of the key facts. Above everything, tractorbynet members want the straight scoop. Anything other than that doesn't serve anyone very well.

Here is a link to the Cabela's Wildlife & Land Management website if anyone is interested. Again, be careful not to confuse list price with selling price.

Wildlife & Land Management : Cabela's

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota L3430 HSTC

ISO 9001 doesn't mean they build better tractors. I be surprised if any tractor manufacturers are not ISO 9001; perhaps, the Chinese. I, too, have visited factories all over the world that were ISO 9001. You'd be surprised at many who hung that banner.The only company that has really had much success with re-badging tractors is John Deere and Yanmar. Even a reputable company like Bobcat couldn't make a go of it with re-badged tractors. I appreciate everything Cabela's is doing for wildlife & land management, but this may be too big a mountain to climb. The odds are certainly not with them for many of the reasons stated above..

Tractor
    Massey 1648 HST Cab

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeGuy View Post
    ISO 9001 doesn't mean they build better tractors. I be surprised if any tractor manufacturers are not ISO 9001; perhaps, the Chinese. I, too, have visited factories all over the world that were ISO 9001. You'd be surprised at many who hung that banner.The only company that has really had much success with re-badging tractors is John Deere and Yanmar. Even a reputable company like Bobcat couldn't make a go of it with re-badged tractors. I appreciate everything Cabela's is doing for wildlife & land management, but this may be too big a mountain to climb. The odds are certainly not with them for many of the reasons stated above..
    I tend to agree with you on the Cabela's front... but not necessarily on the tractor market as a whole. My Massey is "basically" a rebranded Iseki, and Iseki has made Massey compacts for years. New Holland compacts have largely been outsourced for quite awhile, including the LS contract, which has been extended and included Tier3 and now Tier4 builds, and previously the Shibaura built ones. I don't know how many Case-IH compacts are sold ... but they are the red twins of the NH, so they've been outsourced for quite awhile too.

As saturated as the Compact market has become, it's hard to believe that yet another newcomer can make any headway in the US. I think that the "clout" of the premium lines, like Deere, kubota, New Holland, Massey, etc ... are being overshadowed by the value and apparent quality of the new machines. Using this forum as an indicator, I would say that LS is doing the best out of all the new ones (including LS, TYM, Branson) ... and maybe even as well as Mahindra & Kioti. I agree that TYM looked like they were faltering (my impression anyhow) so this Cabela's contract can only help them.

But, while I see some wealthy yuppie types liking the idea of a "Cabela's" branded tractor ... I'm not sure that, with the amount of access and info available at the click of a button, people will actually choose a Cabela's machine. "The Tractor Guy" mentioned that they were priced beneath the "big 2", however, there are still many other capable tractors already priced far below the big 2. Cabela's is going to have to be close to the bottom of the pricing to steal a sale away from someone that's already established.

My thoughts anyways
    Massey 1648 HST Cab
    QA 72'' bucket * 60" Custom Grapple Bucket * QA Forks * 8' Rhino HD Back Blade * 84" Rhino Box Blade
    84" LandPride Rake * 78" KK HD Box Discs * WorkSaver SG-26 Stump Grinder * Middle buster plow * Wallenstein BX42s Chipper
    Hustler Z Diesel 66" ZTR mower (25 hp Shibaura diesel)
    20' PJ Equipment Hauler/Trailer
    2008 F250 Crew V10 4x4

233 hrs @ 7/28/14

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast