John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #121  
John Deere must be doing something that people like...they have kinda dominated a few markets for quite a few years.
I think what you are saying is...an LS is a good (not great), tractor for the money...for non comercial, non farm use. But if you want the best, and can afford it, then JD or Kubota is what you want. I agree completely with you there, and I would add... I think the LS would be a good choice if it had more hydraulic flow, more loader lift height, a little stronger of a 3 point, and maybe a self leveling loader, and a better transmission, and better fuel economy. That 8gpm hydraulic flow (slow cycle time), and low lift height has got to hurt using the loader.
I would also like to see a better dealer-parts-service network with the LS.

Nope, I'm saying its a great tractor for the money. I can write a check for any compact, or utility tractor, and wouldn't waste the extra money on the two brands in question to get less in so many areas.. It has more power, more PTO power, as much, or a lot more loader lift capacity, similar 3pt capacity to one, and less than the other, but still far more than anybody needs with 30-40 PTO HP. I don't find I'm waiting on cycle time on the loader. The tranny works great, and I can run all day on half a tank of fuel (5gal or a but less). I'd like more loader lift height, but it almost never becomes an issue....certainly not a $10k issue. I have a couple if LS dealers I can go to.....of, and both Case and NH dealers carry all the parts. So, I've got three times the choices for parts-service.

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #122  
You are always promoting LS tractors as most of us who frequent the forum have noticed.

I've said, multiple times in this thread, that I can, and have made the same argument for Kioti, and to a lesser extent Mahindra.

Is there something wrong with sticking with a brand that has worked well over the last 40 plus years?

Nope....if somebody wants to pay more for the same, or less performance, there's nothing wrong with it at all.

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #123  
I think the nail was hit on the head that LS's are good, not great tractors. For the average tractor owner (who truly doesn't have enough need for a tractor) an LS is plenty tractor. However, for people who truly need their tractors day in and out to make money or take care of their ranch, they entrust a larger brand.

IE, local rental company has 2 Kubota's that see constant use. IF LS's were the same quality why wouldn't they buy 3 LS's for the same price? Obviously there's a reason they go with the bigger brands.

If you're comfortable with a lower brand power to you, but there's a reason for the premium

How ridiculous is most of this statement? Good, not great? Have you seen an LS, worked on them, or taken one apart? Oh, I forgot, you're the engineering expert, right? What, exactly, are those qualifications you're relying on to make that assessment? How many tractor brands have you been an engineer for?

Truly doesn't have a need for a tractor? How insulting is that? I can't get by with just one, and I don't have a commercial operation.

A larger brand? LS MTron had the same net revenue as Deere did last year, and multiple times what Kubota did.

Yes, there IS a main reason for the premium....the name. NH charges approximately $8,500 more for a Boomer 50 than LS does for a similar (stronger loader) R4047. What could you possibly be paying extra for there? Yep...the name.

I've never said Deere, or Kubota, don't make a good product, but they aren't 40-50% better....no way.

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #124  
Plus loader specs are wrong half the time also. The marketing departments love their numbers and love making things look better than there are. The pivot pins measurements are the dumbest numbers to go by, but marketing likes that number because it is "bigger." Most people on the forum know that when you are using your loader's bucket, it is 500mm (19.7") out from the pivot pins, just like the 3PH true lift capacity number is 24" out. Going by the pivot pin loader capacity is a mistake many newbies make. If the literature only states loader pivot pin capacity, then take approximately 23% off that number and you should be around the correct loader capacity for your loader when using a bucket. Also this estimate is only for standard loaders and not self-leveling loaders. So the LS can lift ~2600lbs at the pivot pins, that would mean it could potentially lift ~2000lbs at 500mm (19.7") out with the bucket attached. That is still not a bad lift capacity for the LS loader.

As for the warranty, you should have two warranties for the tractor: the general warranty (like a bumper-to-bumper warranty) and the extended power train warranty (engine and transmission warranty). LS, Kubota and John Deere all have the same "2 year general warranty," but the hours are not the same on those warranties. LS's warranty is 2 years or 750 hours, Kubota's is 2 years or 1500 hours and John Deere's is 2 years or 2000 hours. As the for the extended power train warranty, LS's is 5 years or 1500 hours, Kubota's is 3 years or 2000 hours and John Deere's is 3 years or 2000 hours. While LS gives you a nice long 5 year warranty, if you use your tractor a lot, the warranty might only be good for two or three years if you go above the "hours" mark. The devil is always in the details with the warranty stuff.

Lastly, I am impressed with the new LS XR series compact tractors especially with LS now using the Shibuara engines. However, when you pay more for the Kubota and John Deere, you will be paying for name and reputation, but also for the components and engineering they put into the tractors. On the surface, the LS, Kubota and John Deere might look the same and have some similar specs, but it is when you dive deeper into what components are used to make the engine, transmission, hydraulics and etc, that is what makes the difference. I would imagine LS uses some good components in their tractors, but Kubota and John Deere are known to use higher grade components in their L Grand and 4000 Series tractors which does drive costs up, but will also hopefully provide more durability and longevity for the tractors. The key is that you do not pay for something that is over-engineered for your uses. The LS tractor might not use the highest grade components like Kubota and John Deere, but that LS tractor might meet most people's needs at a good solid price point.
I have my popcorn in hand tonight STILL WAITING for the MAGIC ANWSER in the last paragraph.JD & Kubota use a (higher grade components)?Anyone have the REAL ANSWER with FACTS not just BS?coobie

Last edited:
   / John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #125  
I have my popcorn in hand tonight STILL WAITING for the MAGIC ANWSER in the last paragraph.JD & Kubota use a (higher grade components)?Anyone have the REAL ANWSER with FACTS not just BS?coobie

Pass the butter Coobie cause I'm waiting too.

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #126  
   / John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #127  
I have my popcorn in hand tonight STILL WAITING for the MAGIC ANWSER in the last paragraph.JD & Kubota use a (higher grade components)?Anyone have the REAL ANSWER with FACTS not just BS?coobie

The green is actually impregnated into the base materials with a special process, and protects against all forms of evil...Both foreign and domestic. The salesman told me that, AND I read it on the internet, so it must be true.
The orange in the kubotas is a similar process...but of course not as effective.

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #128  
The green is actually impregnated into the base materials with a special process, and protects against all forms of evil...Both foreign and domestic. The salesman told me that, AND I read it on the internet, so it must be true.
The orange in the kubotas is a similar process...but of course not as effective.

:laughing:;) The process for Kioti is so secret they don't even know it.:cool:

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #129  
The Massey dealer by me also carries Mahindra and boy does he have stock. I bet there are over 40 machines ready to go. The Kioti dealer is also a NH dealer and he has 15 or so Kioti's on the front row and maybe 3 NH machines in back with the used stuff.

I wish we had more representation in my area, as mentioned my brother had to go out of state to find the model he wanted and the price difference was significant. With the demographics of this area a stand alone Kubota dealership would probably not fare well, so they re paired with other brands.

Not my intent to validate.Just trying to say not all tractors are perfect with these so called superior components including my Kubota & JD.coobie

I imagine we are saying the same thing or pretty darned close anyway.

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #130  
I wish we had more representation in my area, as mentioned my brother had to go out of state to find the model he wanted and the price difference was significant. With the demographics of this area a stand alone Kubota dealership would probably not fare well, so they re paired with other brands.

I imagine we are saying the same thing or pretty darned close anyway.

Kioti is now where Kubota was 20 or so years ago. Give them time and they will have the dealer network, on the downside the prices will go up.