John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #11  
When I was shopping I was stuck between a JD 4520 and Kubota 5240, what made the final decision for me was that the Kubota was a little more comfortable driving around the lot. The adjustment in the seat and steering wheel just allowed me to be more comfortable. I would spend as much seat time as they will allow you to try and see which one fits you better as both are very good tractors.

As has already been said you cannot get a full appreciation for the hst+ tranny at the dealer. If you buy the Deere you won't know what you are missing and will be happy with it, but the hst+ is awesome once you get the hang of it. When you get good using the features it saves time and makes the tractor more enjoyable to operate.

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #13  
I know nothing about an LS tractor. But are you saying it has all the features of the Deere or Kubota?? Think about that carefully before answering. Not picking on your tractor, just saying I've heard this conversation before. Then when it gets right down to comparisons the difference list seems to grow.

No need to think all that carefully about it...it's not exactly life or death :)

I'm certainly not a tractor information database, but from what I can recall, the Deere and Kubota have less standard features, in general. If you compare a shuttle-shift version of the Deere, Kubota, to an LS or Kioti, the latter two will have more features standard. When you look at the Deere, and Kubota, some of their optional features are more complex than a similar feature on the LS or Kioti, and are often different enough to be considered a separate feature by itself (i.e. HST+ is a more complex HST system). I guess it depends on whether you want to look at standard features, or possibilities.

Still, even if you give the Deere (or Kubota) all of the optional features the math doesn't make much sense to me. Just take the Deere to LS comparison, for example. Both are 4x4 CUTS, that come with 3-range HST transmissions, differential locks, FEL, 540 PTO and 3pt. The Deere 4120 has 43hp, 35hp at the PTO, 3pt lift of 3,130 at the ends, FEL lift of 2,339lbs to max height (111"), and weighs 3,700lbs without the FEL. The LS R4047H has 47hp, 38hp at the PTO, 3pt lift of 2,755lbs at the ends, FEL lift of 2,638lbs (website is wrong) to max height (96"), and weighs 3,813lbs.

Both have tilt steering, two-pedal HST controls, adjustable seats, electronic cruise control, and folding ROPS.

The LS also comes with telescoping link arms standard, dual rear remotes standard, rear work light standard, larger wheels/tires, a 7-pin trailer plug standard, and a 5yr powertrain warranty.

As best I can tell, the Deer only exceeds the LS in FEL lift height, 3pt lift max, a self-leveling loader bucket, and an HST system that offers two modes not found on the LS.

The LS has more power, more PTO power, more FEL lift capacity, bigger wheels/tires, draft control, and 3yrs more warranty coverage.

Seriously, I can see where there is some value/utility in a self-loading bucket, or the eHydro features, but an extra $10K? :eek:

Know what I did with the $10K savings? I bought another tractor (in a new color) to dedicate to mowing! :drink:

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #14  
Your LS lifts 11lbs more to full height on the loader than the Kubota. It weighs about 140lbs more than a L4240.

Actually, that's not correct. The LS website has old data on it for some reason. The current LL4101 loader lifts 2,638lbs to max height at the pins and the breakout force is 4,354lbs.

For so much less money, I can handle only being able to lift 150lbs or so more :D

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices
SSQA is a $600 upgrade with Deere. I don't know if it's available on smaller loaders.

We plan on the tractor wearing many hats around here. We will be farming nursery stock and maintaining our modest 5 acres.

Thanks for the great replies. I still can't decide.

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #16  
SSQA is a $600 upgrade with Deere. I don't know if it's available on smaller loaders.

We plan on the tractor wearing many hats around here. We will be farming nursery stock and maintaining our modest 5 acres.

Thanks for the great replies. I still can't decide.

Understandable, but the good news is that you will be happy with either and have a good tractor. Same goes for several other top brands.

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #17  
ovrszd, you say that you know nothing about LS tractors and yet you say This sounds like you must know something about them? :confused3: ;)

Nope Brian, I stated up front I knew nothing about LS Tractors. I also didn't mention ANY brand names when I made the statement about comparisons. Not picking on anybody. Just stating that when it gets down to picky comparisons the difference list seems to grow.

Some of the differences might not matter to you at all. But they might be huge to me. The smallest differences can be gigantic after a few hundred hours of use. Here's an example, I don't like a 4 speed trans with 3 ranges to get 12 speeds. I prefer a 6 spd tranny and 2 ranges. That might not matter to you at all

That's why I offered the advice of drive what you can as long as they'll let you and you'll have a better chance of figuring out what differences top your personal list.

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #18  
I would make sure you do your own research and have all the fact in hand when making your decision. Both the Deere and Kubota are the top tractors in this class and size tractor at the moment, though the new Massey Ferguson 1700 models are looking good. Just be aware that not everything being stated on this thread is accurate.

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #19  
Just be aware that not everything being stated on this thread is accurate.

What did anyone say that was inaccurate....as in factually wrong?

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #20  
I don't think the LS loader is more powerful than the 400cx....Deere rates the loader 18 in forward of the piviot with a standard bucket. The LS has an indirect injected engine as opposed to direct injected as in the john deere powertech engine. the JD has glow plugs instead of the preheat of the LS. The JD has 12 gpm of implement hydraulic flow opposed to 8 gpm on the LS.
I'm sure the LS is a good tractor for the money...but it's no John Deere 4x20.