Buying Advice Largest tractor with MMM

/ Largest tractor with MMM #1  

avidhuntr1

Tractor
Kubota B2630
Guys,

I currently have a Kubota B2630 with the 6' mid mount mower and it is a great tractor with over 500 hours at this point. I'm considering upgrading because 1) it does not have a loader (I could add one but it's close to $5K), 2) it handles my 5' bush hog ok but I'm very easy and gentle with it and you can tell it's a bit much for it, 3) I have a box blade that also seems a bit much for it, and 4) I'd like a PTO generator with enough size to run my geothermal system in a pinch. Add all those together and a healthy dose of the "tractor bug" and you get an idea of why I want to upgrade.

The PTO generator is the HP driver. The startup current for the geothermal is close to 20kw, so that pushes a 40HP (at the PTO) tractor. I own 12.5 acres with 4 of mowing, 3.5 of cash crop (to a neighbor), and the rest woods that I maintain.

I've decided that I really want to stick with a MMM due to the few trees I mow around and the pond on my property. I've been studying what's out there and was wondering your thoughts. I'm struggling to find a tractor with the PTO HP in this range and a 6' MMM available.

I've found the John Deere 3720 with 35 PTO HP. All in all, looks to be a great tractor and weighs in at 2900 lbs by itself. According to the dealer, the MMM has been discontinued for the 4000 series and, in all honesty, I was worried the 4520 was too big at 3700 lbs but I'd really like to see >40 HP at the PTO. The 4520 would have done that.

According to Massey Ferguson's website, the largest they have is the 1635 which is very light on the PTO HP for what I was looking for.

I checked the Kioti website and ran into the same thing. Mahindra seemed to also be the same.

I'm having trouble figuring out in the Kubota Grand L line just how big you can go and still get a MMM. The new 60 series information did not seem to tell.

What do you guys know as the biggest compact utility tractors available that still have a 6' MMM available?

Thanks in advance,
Todd

/ Largest tractor with MMM #2  
I thought all you had to do was add a remote to get the MMM?

/ Largest tractor with MMM
There's a bit more involved for a mid mount mower. The tractor has to have a mid PTO which is not a problem to find available for most/all CUTs and not a problem for the PTO HP I am looking for. The real issue comes on whether the manufacturer offers a mid mount mower to fit that tractor. It requires a mounting setup that is specific to the tractor (or tractor series). I'm finding most manufacturers don't offer a MMM in the larger frame CUTs. Must not be much of a market for them...or maybe I'm missing something from a particular manufacturer, hence my post.

Most folks would probably just go with a rear finish mower but I was really wanting to stick with the better maneuverability of a MMM.

/ Largest tractor with MMM #4  
One idea would be to keep your Kubota for your mowing machine, and buy a larger tractor with loader for everything else. It is nice to mow with the loader off anyway. Best of both worlds...

/ Largest tractor with MMM #5  
According to the spec sheets, a mid-pto is an option on the entire Grand L 60 series, up to 62 hp, but I didn't see any specific mid-mower model identified for the L60 series. Maybe that means the mid-pto is just for something like a front snowblower or rotary brush, etc., but I'd kind of doubt it. In the L40 series, a 72" mid deck was offered up to the L3940. The L3940 and L4060 have the same wheelbase, overall length and many other dimensions... probably the same basic chassis, so maybe the mmm deck would be the same also. A call to any good dealer should get you an answer.

Thanks for the posts. I spent some time scouring the Kubota website and could find no info on the MMM for the 60 series. Like you said, you can option it when building a 3940 (max size in the 40 series for the MMM) but no matter which 60 series I try to build it doesn't show up as a build option. I wondering if the series is too new as of yet for some of these details to come out.

I did stop by my closest Kubota dealer a week or two ago. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for me), I knew more than they did. I'm going to have to branch out to some further dealers to find a more knowledgeable one. It's a pet peeve of mine on tractor (and car) salesmen that they should know their product in and out. I generally just move on when they cannot answer basic questions accurately.

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate your input.

/ Largest tractor with MMM #7  
I heard the new Tier 3/4 emissions stuff is causing the manu.'s to hang more stuff off the engine making MMM a tight fit. I went to a Kubota dealer asking for a 40-50 hp machine with MMM and cab and that's what I was told. H said the next tier will add $3-4000 to the cost of a CUT. Just like OTR big truck diesels , it's going to take some time for manu.'s to work around these new powerplants. Mowing 10 ac with the loader on will age the loader, increase the ground pressure, burn more fuel. I used to do it and stopped- plus my machine was more powerful without the excess weight.

/ Largest tractor with MMM #8  
Thanks, I'll give Messicks a call. I've seen pics of the new L60's with the fuel tank on the bottom (none at my dealer just yet to see in person). My first thought was it would be a lot easier to fill up but I think you guys are right...that and probably other emission stuff is right where a MMM would normally attach.

It all makes good sense, which usually means you're on the right track. Sure hope they can get it worked out. I'm still going to give Messicks a call to see if they know more. It doesn't seem quite correct that the Kubota website doesn't have a MMM option on any of the L60's.