Tractor Sizing L4600 in wooded acreage

/ L4600 in wooded acreage #1  

jgoehri1

Tractor
none
I've got about 40 acres of wooded acreage that is loaded with bush honeysuckle. I mean thick. I want to get in there and take the woods back so my young kids can enjoy it. I'm trying to decide between the L3800 and L4600. I can get the 4600 for about 4000 more. The larger loader capacity would be helpful for cleaning up downed trees for stove burning. I also have 10 acres of abandoned reed canary grass that grows to about 6 feet that I want to mow/burn/treat out.

My biggest question is whether the smaller size of the 3800 makes it a better fit than the 4600. Obviously the larger size of the 4600 makes clearing honeysuckle and trails easier, but am I going to into a problem with too large a tractor in the woods? Food plots are also in my plans, but maintaining the woods and the abandoned pasture is the biggest need.

/ L4600 in wooded acreage #2  
I have a L4400 which was replaced by the L4600. IMHO, the L4600 would prove to be the better model, due to your present and future needs. Best wishes.

/ L4600 in wooded acreage #3  
I have an L4640, which I think is about the same size tractor as yours. I use it almost exclusively in the woods. I find it a bit large for maneuverability when I have the FEL on it and a carrier or other implement on the back. A smaller tractor would be far better scooting about in thick forests. I have Rim Guard in my tires, and the tractor is heavy. I have had to discipline myself to use well-defined trails to keep from damaging the soil. (Here in the west, soil is easily compacted and compaction can cause problems for vegetation.)

All that said I知 delighted with the tractor. I can do many things that I could never have tackled with a smaller tractor. I値l happily put up with the increased penalty in maneuverability for the increased capability for logging, rock digging, landscaping, snow plowing, etc. I also really appreciate the power of a big tractor. (All is relative; my last tractor was a Ford 8N.) However, note that there are always tradeoffs, and these are just mine.
PMH

/ L4600 in wooded acreage #4  
+1 what creekbend and pmhowe say. The tradeoff is size vs. power. There is a big jump in available grunt when you get to the over 40 hp class, for a relatively small increase in physical size. When you're clearing brush, logs, rocks, etc., that extra grunt counts for a lot. It depends on what your place is like, of course, but at my place, equipment of this size and power is just about perfect. There is no place I can't reach and nothing I can't move on my property.

/ L4600 in wooded acreage #5  
I'd have to say go with the bigger one (L4600), you're still in an L frame so it turns awesome. I was originally shopping the 2 models L4600 vs MX5100 and the larger loader and HP won me over. I don't have the shrubbery you do, but I'm buying my MX with the intent of using it in my 54 wooded acres. Worst case you fit 4x4 trucks on your freshly cleared ATV trails. LOL

/ L4600 in wooded acreage #6  
The only advantage the L4600 will have over the L3800 in your situation is more loader capacity. I'm using a L3800DT in the woods on 400 acres almost daily logging and road maintenance and mowing. I use the 3 pt hitch to skid logs, and rarely need the FEL. Sometimes I think I might 'like' a larger rig, but never 'really' need it and the smaller size of the 3800 is a blessing in the woods! Ag tires and gear trans work best for me!

/ L4600 in wooded acreage #7  
Oh and by the way, the L4600 is a very fine tractor!

/ L4600 in wooded acreage #8  
The first mow and clear can really ding up your gear and will place the greatest demand on power and equipment. I contracted to have my 25 acres mulched with a heavy duty,hydralic driven, brush cutter on the front of a bobcat. I expect to manage the property with my standard duty brush hog behind a smaller tractor,TC 35. " No need to buy a sledge to drive a finishing nail."

/ L4600 in wooded acreage #9  
I'd go with the bigger tractor and have even used bigger, for years our woods tractor was a MF375 72 HP, ovreszd even uses an M9540 with grapple. He use to own an L4400, but wanted something bigger.

/ L4600 in wooded acreage #10  
I've used our old L3750DT for over 10 years here, but not since I got the L3800DT. And the 3750 is 1300 lbs heavier and 45hp. Larger isn't always better. ;)