Buying Advice Looking for New JD or Kubota 40-45 HP, Model suggestions?

/ Looking for New JD or Kubota 40-45 HP, Model suggestions? #1  

Briarwood

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I currently have a 2002 Kubota B2710 with front loader and less than 900 hours. I want to replace it with a JD or another Kubota. I need something with a little more power. What models will give me 40-45 HP in JD and Kubota? What model would you recommend? I will need a front end loader. The other implements that I will be using include a bush hog, box blade, tiller, and a planter that requires at least a 35 HP tractor (I borrow my neighbor's tractor to pull the no-till planter). What kind of value can I expect to get for my B2710?

/ Looking for New JD or Kubota 40-45 HP, Model suggestions? #2  
There are lots of models by both manufacturers to choose from. Look over the websites to get a rough idea or atleast decide which particular implements you will want and then we can help you pick a tractor that will work.

My preference for most uses would be a hydrostatic drive with 3 ranges something like a Deere 4120 with 400CX fel a Kubota 4240 would be another good choice.

/ Looking for New JD or Kubota 40-45 HP, Model suggestions? #3  
They 4240 has been replace by the 60 series. You may be able to find a 40, buy there isn't one within 500 miles of me and the factory doesn't have any more.

I've been looking and researching for the last couple of months and the JD 4120 is the best tractor available. Deere knows what they have and they charge a premium.

That being said I'm getting an LS R4740H as Its $10,000 less expensive.

/ Looking for New JD or Kubota 40-45 HP, Model suggestions? #4  
Pretty much what jenkinsph said and include the L60, there are still some L40's in my area but not many. I really like the HST+, but don't want to get into the whole "yeah but what's it worth", you can buy cheaper tractors, I just don't choose to.

/ Looking for New JD or Kubota 40-45 HP, Model suggestions? #5  
You can surf Used Tractors For Sale at TractorHouse.com: John Deere Tractors, used farm tractors and farm equipment, tractors for sale, Case IH, New Holland, Agco, Kubota to get an idea of what your tractor is worth if buying one. You aren't going to get that on trade though. If you can, you'll do best to sell yours outright. I saw a B2910, brand new FEL, 60"mmm, 1000 hrs, on a dealer's lot for $10500 last Winter.

Get all the seat time you can on whatever model you consider before buying. Takes more than a quick trip around the dealer building. Find a dealer that will let you dig with the FEL and spend an hour or so doing similar work to what you will do at home. That'll tell you more about what "fits" you than anything else you can do.

Do not let price drive your decision. Purchase price differences quickly disappear in the real World. When was the last time you heard an owner with several hundred hours of use talk about what he paid for his machine before talking about what he likes or dislikes about it?? The only time I mention what I paid for my tractor is when directly asked by a potential buyer. But I can give you a lengthy, detailed paragraph about the things I like or dislike.

Tractors have a personality. I tend to prefer Kubota. But when shopping I looked at several brands. Made my decision based on tractor functions.

/ Looking for New JD or Kubota 40-45 HP, Model suggestions? #6  
Pretty much what jenkinsph said and include the L60, there are still some L40's in my area but not many. I really like the HST+, but don't want to get into the whole "yeah but what's it worth", you can buy cheaper tractors, I just don't choose to.

I am trying to be more diplomatic and recommend other tractors such as the 4240 (old model I see now) or if he inquired about a 60 hp I would have said 5740. The OP did specify the brands he was interested in and I respect that. As for Deere the 4105 is in that hp range and smaller cheaper just need to know what he needs to do with the tractor to make good recommendations. I am tired of the cheap tractor arguement too.

/ Looking for New JD or Kubota 40-45 HP, Model suggestions? #7  
You can also look at the JD 5xxx series.

/ Looking for New JD or Kubota 40-45 HP, Model suggestions? #8  
I agree with what Jenkins said. You may also want to check out the Kubota L4600 too. I am not sure what the comparable JD model would be. The current Grand L is the L4060.

/ Looking for New JD or Kubota 40-45 HP, Model suggestions? #9  
Are you looking for 40-45 engine or pto horsepower? Both the Kubota grand l and Deere 4x20 series are very nice, after lots of looking the Kubota fit me better but it would be hard to go wrong with either. Kubota has the mx4700/5100 if you want the grand l size and power without the bells and whistles and Deere has a similar model but I can't remember the number.

/ Looking for New JD or Kubota 40-45 HP, Model suggestions? #10  
I was looking for the same thing. I choose a JD4105 HST with 300CX Loader. I didn't need mid-mount PTO and it was considerably less expensive than the other 4000 Series. Just over 40HP. I looked at them all and this was the best value for me. My prior tractor was a Massey Furguson and I really appreciate 4WD ant the HST on my deere.