Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    3930 Ford B1750 & B7500 Kubota

Default Re: New to Sub Compact Tractors Seeking Sizing Guidance

I have a B7500, and it is a fine tractor. But for me, it would be too small to farm 4 acres. A larger used tractor is the way I would go. The L3200 would be just right for you. But even something the size of my 3930 wouldn't be too big. We used it for heavier farming and gardening for the past twenty years. And the Good Lord willing, it is good for another twenty.

Edit: Forgot to say welcome from NW Florida. Glad to have you aboard.
    Last edited by Larro Darro; 08-17-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: CRS

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 & BX2230, Farmall Super M, Super A

Hi Craig, welcome to TBN. The other folks have provided sound advice to consider, but I want to clarify something that may make a difference to you. The kubota and Deere models you're looking at are indeed "subcompact" tractors, which means they're built with a shorter wheelbase and less ground clearance so they can work more effectively for mowing lawns. They can do other work of course, but they've been adapted for lawn mowing, taking up less space in a garage, etc. The Boomer is a "compact"... a slightly larger size machine that may be a bit longer and heavier and also has more ground clearance. The work you've described is better suited to a compact instead of a subcompact because you're doing gardening and chore work, but didn't mention mowing. There's a fuzzy distinction between these two categories, but I think you want to be looking at a "compact", not a "subcompact". Nearly all manufacturers, and particularly Kubota and Deere, have such models, but they're not the ones you mentioned.

Tractor
    240 kabota

Look forward to some advice on a suitable tractor suitable for some steep slopes

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by BGDowns View Post
    Look forward to some advice on a suitable tractor suitable for some steep slopes
    Try Ventrac Ventrac Compact Tractors & Attachments
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 241, Massey Ferguson 2244 crawler

Forgot to ask...do you have a ballpark budget in mind?

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

Are you currently tilling all 4 acres with a 1650?

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by Grandad4 View Post
    Hi Craig, welcome to TBN. The other folks have provided sound advice to consider, but I want to clarify something that may make a difference to you. The kubota and Deere models you're looking at are indeed "subcompact" tractors, which means they're built with a shorter wheelbase and less ground clearance so they can work more effectively for mowing lawns. They can do other work of course, but they've been adapted for lawn mowing, taking up less space in a garage, etc. The Boomer is a "compact"... a slightly larger size machine that may be a bit longer and heavier and also has more ground clearance. The work you've described is better suited to a compact instead of a subcompact because you're doing gardening and chore work, but didn't mention mowing. There's a fuzzy distinction between these two categories, but I think you want to be looking at a "compact", not a "subcompact". Nearly all manufacturers, and particularly Kubota and Deere, have such models, but they're not the ones you mentioned.
    I was initially impressed with the physical size of the Boomer when I saw it at the fair a week ago. But then I looked up the specifications. I was disappointed at what I saw. 16HP PTO was the biggest disappointment..........that's extremely low for a 'COMPACT UTILITY' tractor, and actually goes to the lower end of the 'SUBCOMPACT' range. My Massey dyno'ed at 18.5 with a bad fuel filter.

A person could effectively use the Boomer, or Mahindra MAX series, but to stay within specs you need to use a tiller that is compatible with lower HP ratings, like the Bushog RTC48.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Yanmar LX4900//Cub 7532//Cub Yanmar SC2400//CAT 312B//Komatsu D38

Quote Originally Posted by cleon01 View Post
    New to sub compact tractors. We have a small vegetable farm in Illinois where we farm about 4 acres. We currently have 3 cub cadet 1650 garden tractors (16HP Hydrostatic) that we use to till, move amendment with a Johnny bucket, and snow blow the driveway in the winter. While the Cub Cadets have been good to us, they are old 1978 -82 and we are spending more time in repairs than in the fields. Thus we are seriously looking to move up to a sub compact tractor. We would like to get a sub compact that can till the 4 acres, be able to use 3 point attachments like a hiller and middle buster plow, and move compost / amendment to the field and use to clear the drive of snow in winter.

I want to make sure I buy correctly and do not undersize the tractor. This is a big investment for us and can't afford to make a mistake and whatever we get it has to be dependable. I am not biased to any Manufacturer. The ones I have been researching are the kubota BX 2660, John Deere 1026R but open to others such as New Holland Boomer. We would like to have a reverse till tiller and front loader on it. I do not see a need for us to be taking the front end loader on an off so that is not a big issue for us. I think the 23 -26 HP range would be enough but not sure as I have never had a tractor like this. Any advice and guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

Craig
    to TBN, Craig!
    Given your situation and needs, I would say a sub-compact would work for you. Definitely would be a step up from the garden tractors!
    Not sure if I would recommend a compact tractor - not for 4 acres. And, more $$$ and costlier implements. Are you intersted in new or used? Limited budget?
    For snow removal, all the sub's have nice snow removal packages. 4X4 is a definite +++. I have a power angle hitch/plow for my SC2400, and it works great. I personally prefer it over a blower. I have the rear tires loaded with Rimguard, and have changed the R4's for R1's, which gives a huge difference in traction. But, doesn't tear up the lawn, as the Sub is a light machine. I have a mmm for mine, but have never used it...
    The Yanmar has shift on the fly, which is awesome for shuttle work. And dual hydraulic pumps plus a 5 year warranty....a great sized machine and great value for me. I've used it in the woods with 3 point attachments, it will surprise you with it's abilites for the size.
    What I would recommend is visiting nearby dealers, try out the sub's....see if the size works for you. Then check out the compacts....see if you need the extra size. Figure out what you want/need/can afford...then determine if you want new or used....both have their advantages.
    And, have fun shopping!

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Deere, several

Keep us posted. We would like to know your progress on the tractor. You seem like the type we don't see often enough and would like to see you succeed.
    Something with a three point hitch mounted pallet fork lift and a loader with pallet forks on the front would probably be handy.
    Come to think of it, that 3032E/3038E would be worth pricing as well. iirc around here tractors above 25HP are "farm" tractors and can have the sales tax refunded vs the consumer tractors under 25HP.
    Once you have a tractor with a pto. Keep an eye open for a pto powered standby generator. Every now and again a little old 7-1/2KW, 10KW, 12-1/2KW or 15KW generator goes ridiculous cheap because they are so small. Sure beats frozen pipes or a melting freezer/fridge.
    I was looking in the classified ads around here. Lots of compact tractors 5-15yrs old at 2/3 the price of new. Somebody purchases these tractors when they retire to a rural estate. A couple of hundred hours later of moving snow and cutting grass. The tractor is for sale due to failing health, estate sale or moving back into town.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Deere, several

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast