Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    Kubota BX-25D, JD circa 1990 Lawn Tractor

Default Re: New to Sub Compact Tractors Seeking Sizing Guidance

Welcome Craig, I don't have alot of experience with my new tractor but one very nice thing about my BX is that it IS small so I can get into tight spaces, tight turns and low profile. I think it would have plenty of power especially if you opted for the higher hp engine available. I have yet to run into power issue over traction. Maybe a little bigger would be good for you and wouldn't hurt unless working in tight spaces like I am... but increased size means increased $$$ both purchase wise and maintenance. The B series kubota would be worth a look too. Not selling Orange over Green just know them better now.

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Here's a couple of threads you should read. I'm not pushing the Kubotas over other makes, just that your post reminded me of another member who was into organic gardening and ended up moving up from a BX to a B series mostly due to the need for increased clearance when gardening. For that reason alone, I would recommend a compact over a subcompact for the work you outlined. Also, 4 acres seems a bit much for a BX size machine. I think it could work, but you'd be working that machine near it's max most of the time. Anyway, I think these threads might have some useful info for you before making your decision.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...t-compare.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...ars-b2320.html
    Chris

2 acres and a mule, er, Kubota BX25, and too many other toys,er, tools to list.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Quote Originally Posted by CHDinCT View Post
    Here's a couple of threads you should read. I'm not pushing the Kubotas over other makes, just that your post reminded me of another member who was into organic gardening and ended up moving up from a BX to a B series mostly due to the need for increased clearance when gardening. For that reason alone, I would recommend a compact over a subcompact for the work you outlined. Also, 4 acres seems a bit much for a BX size machine. I think it could work, but you'd be working that machine near it's max most of the time. Anyway, I think these threads might have some useful info for you before making your decision.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...t-compare.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...ars-b2320.html
    Excellent resource links, I have been trying to remember them for this thread.

Like others, I don't promote one brand over another, so look at all with good dealer support.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1742

Quote Originally Posted by scoutcub View Post
    to TBN, Craig!
    Given your situation and needs, I would say a sub-compact would work for you. Definitely would be a step up from the garden tractors!
    Not sure if I would recommend a compact tractor - not for 4 acres. And, more $$$ and costlier implements. Are you intersted in new or used? Limited budget?
    For snow removal, all the sub's have nice snow removal packages. 4X4 is a definite +++. I have a power angle hitch/plow for my SC2400, and it works great. I personally prefer it over a blower. I have the rear tires loaded with Rimguard, and have changed the R4's for R1's, which gives a huge difference in traction. But, doesn't tear up the lawn, as the Sub is a light machine. I have a mmm for mine, but have never used it...
    The Yanmar has shift on the fly, which is awesome for shuttle work. And dual hydraulic pumps plus a 5 year warranty....a great sized machine and great value for me. I've used it in the woods with 3 point attachments, it will surprise you with it's abilites for the size.
    What I would recommend is visiting nearby dealers, try out the sub's....see if the size works for you. Then check out the compacts....see if you need the extra size. Figure out what you want/need/can afford...then determine if you want new or used....both have their advantages.
    And, have fun shopping!
    I'm new here but not new to agriculture and I agree with the sentiment of this post. For gardening tasks, even something as large as four acres, a smaller tractor means less ground compaction and more maneuverability between rows and at the ends. Vegetable farms aren't usually set up the same way as a traditional "row crop" type farm running corn, soybeans and wheat. Four acres isn't really a very large area and I think a compact might be overkill here-especially given what the OP has been using in the past. My guess is his operation (row spacing and the like) is set up with those smaller machines in mind. A larger tractor would require a new set up. Finally, the horsepower needs for this kind of work are not high. It's not like he's going to be pulling the large ag implements. The OP should easily get by on a 25 horsepower machine. Just my two cents.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2520

I love my John deere 2520. I chose that model because it had Hargrove rear tires than the 1 series, which gives me more traction In the dirt. I use a jD 655 tiller which is 55" and I regularly till about 1 acre of shelterbelt trees. I can easily till an acre in an hour, probably way less but I am going around trees.

The loader has really good capacity for around the yard. I always take the loader off when not in use because I can turn way sharper with it off.

The one series JD are plenty capable and the two series even more so. Don't let people tell you that you need a huge tractor, you don't.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet
    2007 F150 SCab 4X4
    2011 JD 2520
    Box blade, MMM, FEL, Landscape rake, PHD, Rear Snow blower, Rototiller, 50 year old 8 foot disc
    Sylvan 2520 Pontoon Boat
    Honda 919

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123