Tractor Sizing New to Sub Compact Tractors Seeking Sizing Guidance

/ New to Sub Compact Tractors Seeking Sizing Guidance #1  

cleon01

Tractor
cub cadet 1650
New to sub compact tractors. We have a small vegetable farm in Illinois where we farm about 4 acres. We currently have 3 cub cadet 1650 garden tractors (16HP Hydrostatic) that we use to till, move amendment with a Johnny bucket, and snow blow the driveway in the winter. While the Cub Cadets have been good to us, they are old 1978 -82 and we are spending more time in repairs than in the fields. Thus we are seriously looking to move up to a sub compact tractor. We would like to get a sub compact that can till the 4 acres, be able to use 3 point attachments like a hiller and middle buster plow, and move compost / amendment to the field and use to clear the drive of snow in winter.

I want to make sure I buy correctly and do not undersize the tractor. This is a big investment for us and can't afford to make a mistake and whatever we get it has to be dependable. I am not biased to any Manufacturer. The ones I have been researching are the Kubota BX 2660, John Deere 1026R but open to others such as New Holland Boomer. We would like to have a reverse till tiller and front loader on it. I do not see a need for us to be taking the front end loader on an off so that is not a big issue for us. I think the 23 -26 HP range would be enough but not sure as I have never had a tractor like this. Any advice and guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

/ New to Sub Compact Tractors Seeking Sizing Guidance #2  
Good thinking. You never notice a 2-3-4 horsepower increase. It takes a 50% increase to make a difference. So going from 16-hp to 23hp to 26hp is good thinking, especially if you are going from gas engine to diesel engine.

Kubota is famous for quality in general, their HST transmissions, which are The Best, and for parts availability for earlier machines.

Many people feel in the sub-compact category (i.e: BX) Kubota reigns.

I have a little larger/heavier Kubota B3300SU tractor/loader PACKAGE. The package includes everything Kubota thinks you need: FEL, 4-WD, HST etc. If you price the package versus features as individual options you will realize it is a Good Package. About all you need to decide on is tires; R1/Ags, or R4/Industrial Tires.

With B3300SU 33-hp + 4-WD power you can pull five foot wide implements, which speeds up the work.

Mid-PTO is optional but most people operating tractors commercially prefer not to have a mid-PTO collecting junk underneath.

Nothing wrong with a PTO tiller. However, consider a Disc Harrow and a Cultipacker together, perhaps in place of a PTO tiller. Probably will do your seed prep faster and give you improved seed germination and less erosion. The pair probably cost less than a PTO tiller alone.
Just my kink.

In closing: There is nothing wrong with a used tractor. Just take time to find one appropriate to your tasks.

Kubota Tractor Corporation - Tractors | B Series | B3300SU

Attachments

• DSC00048.jpg
    DSC00048.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,199
  • DSC00052.jpg
    DSC00052.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 359
  • DSC00047.jpg
    DSC00047.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 486
  • DSC00043.jpg
    DSC00043.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 250
  • DSC00020.jpg
    DSC00020.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 676
  • IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_0630.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 679
  • IMG_0606.JPG
    IMG_0606.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0583.JPG
    IMG_0583.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_0496.jpg
    IMG_0496.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
   / New to Sub Compact Tractors Seeking Sizing Guidance #4  
If I were gardening four acres or thereabouts I would look for a larger used tractor similar to the Deere 820 I recently sold. More ground clearance, adjustable wheel spacing, capable of handling a 5' tiller and various other implements and bedders. I sold this tractor for $5900 a month or so ago so the investment would be very low and would allow you to buy other equipment you might need. I would not buy a subcompact tractor if tilling and gardening four acres.

Attachments

• 820 new pics 001.jpg
    820 new pics 001.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 276
  • 820 new pics 003.jpg
    820 new pics 003.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 820 new pics 002.jpg
    820 new pics 002.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 542
   / New to Sub Compact Tractors Seeking Sizing Guidance #5  
The ones I have been researching are the Kubota BX 2660, John Deere 1026R but open to others such as New Holland Boomer.

If you're looking at a NH Boomer, the significantly less expensive option is to buy from the original manufacturer, which is LS. The only significant difference is that NH uses a less powerful loader sourced from another company. Other than that, it's just decals, grille, and headlight shape differences.

To give you a comparison price, this is an add for a 38hp G3038 shuttle shift that my dealer has listed (LS allows actual pricing to be advertised).

LS G3038 tractor loader, 38hp

Better to have something a little bigger than you need vice wanting just a little more. You'll get more done, in less time, and the machine should last longer since you're not stressing it as much for common tasks.

/ New to Sub Compact Tractors Seeking Sizing Guidance #6  
The Deere tractors with the E on the end of the model number are lower priced no frills economy units. Maybe worth a look. http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/006/7/8/6788-john-deere-1023e.html1023E at $11,578 and weighs 1345lbs is about twice the mass of a 1650.
TractorData.com Cub Cadet 1650 tractor information
As previously stated. Nobody minds having a little more tractor than what is required for the job instead of not enough tractor for the job. In particular when lifting loader or three point hitch loads. Having a real pto, real drawbar, SCV connections, 4WD and real three point hitch will be a huge plus. Able to run a three point hitch snowblower and have hydraulics for a loader or log splitter.
Maybe able to do a little custom snow removal in the winter?
Some brands hold higher re-sell or trade in value in the future too.

/ New to Sub Compact Tractors Seeking Sizing Guidance #7  
If I were gardening four acres or thereabouts I would look for a larger used tractor similar to the Deere 820 I recently sold. More ground clearance, adjustable wheel spacing, capable of handling a 5' tiller and various other implements and bedders. I sold this tractor for $5900 a month or so ago so the investment would be very low and would allow you to buy other equipment you might need. I would not buy a subcompact tractor if tilling and gardening four acres.

5900.00 was a great buy on that tractor.

/ New to Sub Compact Tractors Seeking Sizing Guidance #8  
You can use a 'subcompact' for your needs. I have a Massey Ferguson GC2400, it is comparable to the Kubota BX series, JD 1 series, and has more PTO HP than the Boomer or the Mahindra.

But for 4 acres, I suggest a 'B' or 'L' series Kubota, a 1500 or 1600 series Massey, or the JD 3038E or similar.

I think you need something in the 30 HP PTO category, although I wouldn't be afraid to tackle 4 acres with my Massey and my Bushog tiller. And, I've used both forward and reverse tine tillers.........unless you can get either for the same price(I've heard of some selling reverse rotation tillers for twice the money), go with the forward rotation.

/ New to Sub Compact Tractors Seeking Sizing Guidance #9  
Or a Kioti DK-35 or 40. Do some research and tell us what you think.

/ New to Sub Compact Tractors Seeking Sizing Guidance #10  
Or a Kioti DK-35 or 40. Do some research and tell us what you think.
Yes, or Kioti's............I apologize for not listing them.