Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 & BX2230, Farmall Super M, Super A

Default Re: Smallest compact tractor for lifting full size round bales with FEL

The loader on the Kioti DK series (KL401) lifts about 300 hundred more pounds than the kubota LA8xx series loaders, but the Kubota loaders have about 500 lbs more curl/breakout strength (measurements at the pins) ... overall their designs are very similar (cylinder size, hyd. pressure, hyd flow, basic geometry, etc.), so it's not rocket science to figure their capabilities are generally comparable.

I have lifted and carried a big round bale with my Kubota loader, but it wasn't fun and I wouldn't recommend either of these tractors (or similar models of other makes) for such chores on any kind of regular basis. The issue is not loader strength, it's tractor stability. We had a 2,000+ lb backhoe on the tractor, so the back end was firmly planted, but there were plenty of warnings that sideways stability was not something to be taken for granted. The "compact" footprint of these tractors leaves no margin for safety, so any uneven terrain, potholes, slightly low tire pressure, soft ground, unbalanced loading of a bale, careless operation, or whatever, can put the situation out of control. For routine, safe large bale handling, you want a bigger tractor.

Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

Quote Originally Posted by Grandad4 View Post
    The loader on the Kioti DK series (KL401) lifts about 300 hundred more pounds than the kubota LA8xx series loaders, but the Kubota loaders have about 500 lbs more curl/breakout strength (measurements at the pins) ... overall their designs are very similar (cylinder size, hyd. pressure, hyd flow, basic geometry, etc.), so it's not rocket science to figure their capabilities are generally comparable.

I have lifted and carried a big round bale with my Kubota loader, but it wasn't fun and I wouldn't recommend either of these tractors (or similar models of other makes) for such chores on any kind of regular basis. The issue is not loader strength, it's tractor stability. We had a 2,000+ lb backhoe on the tractor, so the back end was firmly planted, but there were plenty of warnings that sideways stability was not something to be taken for granted. The "compact" footprint of these tractors leaves no margin for safety, so any uneven terrain, potholes, slightly low tire pressure, soft ground, unbalanced loading of a bale, careless operation, or whatever, can put the situation out of control. For routine, safe large bale handling, you want a bigger tractor.

Very...VERY well stated
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Grandad4 View Post

You need weight which the Kioti has that also. I have Loaded tires and either my Land Plane on back or my chipper shredder and I will lift over 2400 easily.
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 241

Quote Originally Posted by bigbull338 View Post
    a mx5100 HST 4x4 with LA844 loader is what you need..
    The LA844 can't lift 2k at 24" to full height regardless of counterweight.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M6040HD

I looked at Kioti DK 40's but ended up with a kubota M6040, for the reason of stability with big round bales. I can move them with no ballast on the back, just loaded R4's. I like the hydraulic shuttle shift. Yes, a HST would be more efficient for loader work, but the bigger tractors normally have bigger buckets, so you can move more with each scoop compared to a CUT.

With telescoping draft link ends I can hook up the rotary cutter in literally two minutes. I don't see how it would even be possible to hook up without them!

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 4720, JD X748SE, JD 997, Farmall "B"

Quote Originally Posted by B Hoofed View Post
    I looked at Kioti DK 40's but ended up with a kubota M6040, for the reason of stability with big round bales. I can move them with no ballast on the back, just loaded R4's. I like the hydraulic shuttle shift. Yes, a HST would be more efficient for loader work, but the bigger tractors normally have bigger buckets, so you can move more with each scoop compared to a CUT.

With telescoping draft link ends I can hook up the rotary cutter in literally two minutes. I don't see how it would even be possible to hook up without them!
    Sounds like you can actually HANDLE round bales as opposed to just LIFT them. my jd4720 does a good job of lifting them, and carrying them around...a little. I handle maybe 100 bales a year with it is all, but I like something a little bigger for safely carrying them around on uneven ground and winter conditions. How bout a picture of your Kubota?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -jd1-jpg  

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

Mahindra 5035HST or Mahindra 5010HST or 6010HST. The 5035 weighs a bit more than the 5010 or 6010. The 10 series lifts more weight though. The 5035 weighs about 1000lbs more than anything else in that class size. Sounds like you should have some stability and the tractor will lift over a ton at full height. Ballasted correctly and you will have a machine that weighs about 8000lbs.

Good luck in your search.
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Veteran Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244 View Post
    You need weight which the Kioti has that also. I have Loaded tires and either my Land Plane on back or my chipper shredder and I will lift over 2400 easily.
    Lifting ability is important, but so is stability... after you lift it, ya gotta drive around with it. Don't know how much your rig weighs; I was somewhere close to 8,000 lbs., not counting the bale itself. But if there is 2,000 on the FEL, plus 1,400 for the FEL itself - 3,400 lbs - bouncing around somewhere out ahead of the front axle, which is on a pivot, it doesn't take much to throw things off balance in a bad way. Full size ute with wider and longer footprint seems way more secure platform for big bales.

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

I weigh in at 6500 and my FEL is connected to the middle of my tractor and I move with the bail as close to the ground as possible. He asked about a Compact not a Utility. I move 2000 lb skids all the time I have no problem what so ever with them.
    Murph ------------

Veteran Member
    Tractor

Actually, the following question was asked: "Is it possible to do this without moving up to the larger M-series kubota or the equivalent from the other makers?" He got a variety of opinions including yours and mine. Peace.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast