Please help--Kubota L3300, John Deere 790, Kubota L5030, or Massey? detail inside

/ Please help--Kubota L3300, John Deere 790, Kubota L5030, or Massey? detail inside #1  

JGPierce

Tractor
n/a
First off, let me introduce myself here.
I'm getting ready to purchase a tractor for my new property and I have been looking quite heavily.
I have 15 acres with some wet areas so 4wd is a must. I REALLY want a loader, bush hog is a must, and a box blade. That should be enough to get me started.

Here are some options I'm looking at

2007 John Deere 790 4wd with 63 hrs, 300 loader, LX5 cutter, SBX60 box blade, post hole digger, pallet jack attachment, canopy
$14,000

1997 Kubota L3300 4wd shuttle shift, LA480 loader, 465 hrs, kept inside and excl cond, 6' mower, 6' box blade, and 6' rake
$12,500

2010 Massey Fergusun 1529 4wd, loader, 230 hrs, bush hog , box blade
$12,000

2009 Kubota L5030 HST, 83 hrs, (its claimed this year, however I dont think they were made this year) Tractor has no loader (dont know how much I could get one for this for, and it comes with a large bush hog. This seems to be the value deal, I just wish it had a loader.
$14,500

What do you guys think?

General purpose would be for maintaining brush, mowing, and box blade work with filling, flattening, and leveling which shouldnt take long.
I am in the process of having a house put on this property

/ Please help--Kubota L3300, John Deere 790, Kubota L5030, or Massey? detail inside #2  
I can't offer any advice on the tractors mentioned from first hand experience. I can tell you that after having tractors without loaders for the first 12 years since we built - and the last 11 years owning tractors with loaders that I wouldn't have a tractor without one.

/ Please help--Kubota L3300, John Deere 790, Kubota L5030, or Massey? detail inside #3  
I can't offer any advice on the tractors mentioned from first hand experience. I can tell you that after having tractors without loaders for the first 12 years since we built - and the last 11 years owning tractors with loaders that I wouldn't have a tractor without one.

I second chim.

My "learning" tractor was a used John Deere/Yanmar 750. For your size property, 15 acres, John Deere 790 is not enough tractor.

Kubota dealer should be able to add a Kubota FEL to the L5030, easily, but possibly costly addition.
You could call a Kubota dealer and get a recommendation/price. Should not requiire a visit to the dealer for the information, just a call for the dealer to look in his Kubota catalog.

L3300: 465 hours, on a well maintained, garaged, diesel tractor, means it is just broken in.

Inside storage is valuable. Darned rodents too frequently chew on the wiring, outside, plus weather/moisture general deterioration to rubber, plastic, hydraulic lines and paint.

In Orlando area, maybe even alligator in there.

Latter three tractors, with implements, seem good values to me.

I store my Kubota tractor and RTV500 and some implements on dollies, in the garage. The Subaru resides in the driveway. I wish I had one very tall garage door, so I could drive the tractor in/out WITH THE ROPS UP, rather than folded.

Consider an oil analysis and hydraulic fluid analysis.

Blackstone Labs

Last edited:
   / Please help--Kubota L3300, John Deere 790, Kubota L5030, or Massey? detail inside #4  
As much as I love Deere tractors...and I owned a 790 for several years...the 790 is probably too small for your needs.

/ Please help--Kubota L3300, John Deere 790, Kubota L5030, or Massey? detail inside #5  
The L5030 is a considerably larger, more capable tractor. If it's truly 83 hours, it's not even broken in yet... condition should reflect that. If you can get the serial number of the tractor, any dealer should be able to tell you when it was sold to a customer. The factory loader was an LA853. Don't know if there's any chance some dealer might still be able to find a new loader, but you could definitely get a good aftermarket one... Woods, Bush Hog, Rhino, Wallenstein, for example.

/ Please help--Kubota L3300, John Deere 790, Kubota L5030, or Massey? detail inside #6  
I have to be honest, I would keep looking.

/ Please help--Kubota L3300, John Deere 790, Kubota L5030, or Massey? detail inside #7  
Last edited:
   / Please help--Kubota L3300, John Deere 790, Kubota L5030, or Massey? detail inside #8  
I'm getting ready to purchase a tractor for my new property.

I have 15 acres with some wet areas so 4wd is a must.

I REALLY want a loader, bush hog is a must, and a box blade. That should be enough to get me started.

General purpose would be for maintaining brush, mowing, and box blade work with filling, flattening, and leveling.
I am in the process of having a house put on this property

Before too long you will want/need a Ratchet Rake $300, Disc Harrow $1000 and a Landscape Rake $1300.

/ Please help--Kubota L3300, John Deere 790, Kubota L5030, or Massey? detail inside
I want to thank you all for all of the feedback.
I will elaborate some more on my property.
I own a 5 acre log with about 4 of the 5 acres cleared, the lot next to us is a lot that my father and I both went in on with plans to divide it into 2 5 acre parcels. Well, the county shot that down saying it needs to be kept at 10 not allowing 2 residences on one property.
Only about 5 of the 10 acres are cleared, and thats really all thats allowed to be since the area is in a known protected wetland (even though the property is high and dry).
So realisitcly im looking at under 10 acres.
Does that bring the JD 790 back into the picture? :).. The Kubota L5030 would obviously be a no brainer if it had a loader, but I cant justify spending another $5k for a loader that size.

/ Please help--Kubota L3300, John Deere 790, Kubota L5030, or Massey? detail inside #10  
I still think the Deere 790 is considerably underpowered and a little too light for the tasks you have outlined. If it has been kept outside, it has been 5-6 years in the elements.

It is YOUR MONEY, however.