Price Check Opinions requested on price and performance

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #21  
hipilot:

<font color="blue">Here is the offer: A Kubota L2900 - 4 wheel drive with a FEL, a finish mower and Deere brush hog, vintage 1995 with 323 hours on the meter. AG tires. The condition appears cherry. The price is $11,500. </font>

The Intertec used tractor price guide does not show a 1995 L2900 4wd (or at least my copy does not). There is a 4wd L2900 listed for 1997 & 98. If that is the year(s), pricing shows in the $11,500 - $12,500 range for "premium" condition. If you add in the value of the FEL & the two mowers your $11,500 price is a real bargain.

Re: the many suggestions of HST vs geared. As others have suggested, spend a couple hours on BOTH types. If you like to control the machinery you run you'll probably like the geared, especially if it has a shuttle shift. If not, you'll probably like the HST. Please note that if you are looking at the GST transmission, you are looking at a hybrid offering the worst of both worlds (or the best, depending on how you look at it). But spend a couple hours on both types before you decide. Remember, there are some safety issues with an HST despite what HST fans may believe. Also, you have the issue of future repair costs. It really boils down to what you enjoy using. And that's something you won't know without spending a few hours on each.

For myself, if the price of geared and HST had been identical and the tractor had been the same, I would have bought the geared (and I did spend some time on an HST of the same make/model I ended up buying in the gear version). In fact, I probably would have paid $500-$1000 more to get a geared tractor. But that's just me. Since you say this is your first tractor, just remember one thing: geared or HST, a CUT IS THE ULTIMATE POWER TOOL! If you've never owned a tractor you're going to find many, many useful things you can do with it that you aren't even thinking about right now. Good luck to you.

JEH

PS Don't know your time frame on this, but what I did was to buy a 50 year old Farmall (a Super C - about 3000 lbs and 2 liter engine size) for a "practice" tractor to do stuff with and find out what I really wanted (and didn't want) in a more modern (and much more expensive) tractor. Because the cost was so little it was like buying a practical education on tractors - and it still did useful work while I was learning. Just a thought.

/ Opinions requested on price and performance
Grim.
This is a weird, once in a lifetime, up-one-day and down-the- next situation. I'm dealing with a wife, who is seeking authority from a Judge to take control of assets from a husband who is mentally incompetant. He has been institutionalized for much of the last several years.
The poor lady is trying to sort out a huge mess and recover some of their joint investment.
Originally, we were prospects for purchasing real estate from them. It just so happened that the tractor with front end loader was stored on the real estate and she said that she wanted to sell it. We didn't buy the real estate, but agreed on a purchase price for the tractor that seems to be a good deal for me and the solution to one of her headaches. In this area, cash buyers for used tractors are rare. Big talk and little action.

The year of manufacture of the tractor was her best estimate. It was purchased new by them from the local Kubota dealer. She could be wrong on the year. The tractor was under a tarp when we inspected it.
Is there some way to tell from the serial number the actual date of manufacture? It does look brand new, except for some sun damage to the rear tire sidewalls. The FEL has only a few scratches in the scoop paintwork, barely used. The finish mower and brush hog were throw-ins on the deal. She said that she has all the original ducuments and manuals.

The Judge should rule on Tuesday and if I want the tractor, I must move immediately to get possession. My Uncle and I have 2 trucks and 2 trailers ready to go. He is an experienced tractor owner, and a skilled machinist. If, when we uncover the tractor, and start it, we find problems, we can always leave without the tractor.

A new New Holland, TC30, with HST and front loader for $14,900 plus shipping is offered on eBay right now with full warranty.

Thanks for your advice.

Fred

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( there are some safety issues with an HST despite what HST fans may believe )</font>

There's certainly nothing wrong with geared tractors; I've used them a lot more than I have HST tractors, but can you tell me what those safety issues are with HST over the geared models?

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #24  
Don't be afraid of a geared tractor at all. It will do everything an hst will do and in alot of cases better. For a newbie yes an hst would be easier to operate but after some hours on the gear tractor you will be fine. I personally think it's easier to operate a gear tractor. If you are bush hogging or something just put your tractor in a gear and go. You don't have to worry about the speed on tractor just keep it steady. Doing alot of loader work for a newbie sure an hst would be better. But how many hours does anybody spend doing constant loader work? Heck how many hours do most guys put on the tractor doing loader work constantly for hours and hours every single day? Sure you may use a few different times to do work but over the long haul I don't think it's the time saver most people say it is if you consider how little you actually do constant loader work. Most guys on here are lucky to put 100 hours on their tractor a year. Not saying more don't but if your average is 100 or even 200 hours, what hst may save you 10 hours or so? And of that how much is constant loader work?

Anyway don't be afraid of a geared tractor. At that price and being an older tractor if you don't like it you will be able to get your money back easily and probably even more.

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #25  
If the price is right the geared is ok,but if you want the ultimate,get the hydro.It don't get any better than this.

The John Deere 4000 ten series.

This sophisticated operating system matches the tractor's performance to the task. It's the world's first available in a tractor this size. And it puts at your control a host of almost undreamed of capabilities.

LoadMatch™
Fill a bucket, every time. This sophisticated power management system (similar to those offered on construction equipment) automatically adjusts hydro transmission to maintain power to wheels. This increases torque, and reduces the possibility of stalls almost to zero. (eHydro™ only)

SpeedMatch™
Unlike cruise control, this feature allows you to preset a maximum speed when the pedal is fully depressed. Perfect for rough ground, confined areas (like inside a stable) or anytime a limited speed-even creeper- range is needed. (eHydro™ only)

MotionMatch™
With the flip of a switch select how quickly you want the tractor to slow down. Two settings are available, a "fast," ideal for quick cycle times, and a "slow," for when smoother operation is desired.

Cruise Control
This unique speed-sensing system is capable of holding the tractor to a constant speed - not only on flat ground, but on hills and uneven terrain too. An available, affordable, automotive-style upgrade adds accelerate, decelerate and resume functions just like those found on a car. (eHydro™ only)

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #26  
Just like a sales brocure /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #27  
<font color="blue"> Is there some way to tell from the serial number the actual date of manufacture? It does look brand new, except for some sun damage to the rear tire sidewalls. The FEL has only a few scratches in the scoop paintwork, barely used. The finish mower and brush hog were throw-ins on the deal. She said that she has all the original ducuments and manuals.
</font>

Yes, you can find out all about the tractor either from the dealer or from Kubota. The serial number will allow them to tell you all the details. I'd start with the dealer since they'd be able to also supply you with information about the attachments (loader, etc.), but Kubota can tell you about the tractor itself.

Sounds like you've found a sweet deal - jump on it and good luck!

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #29  
No problem here, just spelling difficulties on my part.

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #30  
No worries about spelling. I got halfway through the excerpt below before I figured out what was wrong.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid
deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh