Price Check Opinions requested on price and performance

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #31  
W/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifW!!

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #32  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid
deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh
)</font>

I love that one.. worst thing is, is I was a few words into it before I noticed the 'intended' errors! scarry stuff... ( the way our brain works..)

Soundguy

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #33  
hipilot:

<font color="blue">The Judge should rule on Tuesday and if I want the tractor, I must move immediately to get possession. </font>

Well, didja get it? I'd change the oil & lube it up if its been sitting for awhile. Let us know.

<font color="blue">A new New Holland, TC30, with HST and front loader for $14,900 plus shipping is offered on eBay right now with full warranty. </font>

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything certainly like this on eBay. But that just me.

JEH

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #34  
bird:

<font color="blue">but can you tell me what those safety issues are with HST over the geared models? </font>

Seems like there's been lots of discussion on this - even the short time I've been here. The only reason I mentioned it was several posts earlier in the thread were pushing the HST. Hipilot said he was a "novice" so I figured he ought to realize it's not so clear-cut as some may think.

As I suspect you are aware, those issues range from having only one way to hold an HST on a hill with the engine stopped (two with geared) through the issue of instinctive reaction in emergency situations. As cowboydoc mentioned, the main advantage of HST is a slight improvement in time for loader work. And that is mainly when moving stuff short distances. I've used both, and for a "tractor" used in a wide variety of tasks, I think the geared is a bit safer - though admittedly safety is in the operator far more than the equipment. As I said above, I would have paid more (if I had to) to get a geared tractor. But that's just me.

JEH

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #35  
It is quite hard to imagine that a tool that requires two limbs to operate is safer than one that requires only one.

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #36  
<font color="blue"> As I suspect you are aware, those issues range from having only one way to hold an HST on a hill with the engine stopped (two with geared) through the issue of instinctive reaction in emergency situations. </font>

JEH,

Interesting point! I wonder if it is true?

I honestly don't know but must admit I have assumed that a HST would not hold on a hill like a gear tractor would, when turned off and left in gear.

But MAYBE it will hold position on a hill. Like a hydraulic cylinder will hold its position. I am going to have to try it when I get outside...I have aboue a 20 degree slope I can try it on and I will report back...

Gee...another reason to do something other than work today!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #37  
I don't know just how well the HST would hold on a hill if shut down and left in gear; however, my tractors were kept inside on a pretty smooth concrete floor, so when hooking up implments, I frequently just grabbed the tread on those R1s and rolled the tractor forward or backward a little bit by hand if it was in neutral. I couldn't do that if it were in gear; I know, I tried a few times. So when I trailered the tractor, I not only lowered the implements to the floor of the trailer, set the park brake, and applied my chains, but I also left it in low range.

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #38  
No it won't hold on a hill as I found out to my chagrin soon after I bought my tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif However, I often have three things holding my hydro tractor in place when stopped. I have the emergency brake on, the box blade lowered, and the FEL lowered as well. If it's on a really steep slope, I place the bucket with the sharp edge digging in as well. My tractor's going nowhere if I have anything to say about it. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Also, I sure wouldn't want to have to clutch, shift, operate the throttle, and operate the loader joystick all at the same time when doing loader work. It's really nice to operate just a foot pedal and the joystick. Gear tractors do a lot of things well, but I can't see them equalling a hydro for FEL work.

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #39  
I took the B2910 out back and tried it on a slope I measured last year at about 20 degrees. I think it was slightly more.

Turned off the tractor and let off the brake and it made a clicking sound and moved slowly for a foot or two, then went to a creeping forward movement, Very slow. I tried low range and it was about the same. High range and it moved pretty quick, like a standard shift car would on a hill if you had the engine off and left it in the highest gear.

I think the gear tractor in its lowest gear would probably keep the wheels locked up and not move at all. My HST did offer more resistance to movement than I expected, but I am certain not nearly as much as a gear tractor would.

Still, I am certain it is worth keeping in gear when parked on a slope with the engine off and the parking brake on. I was surprised that low ranged did not seem to offer any more holdback than mid range though. Maybe it did and I just could not sense it.

/ Opinions requested on price and performance
We picked up my Kubota L2900 DGST this afternoon. It had not been started in more than a year. WE jump started the tractor and used the FEL to load the Deere grooming mower into a second trailer, then loaded up a flatbed with the Kubota and the Deere Bush hog and were home an hour later. A new battery is now installed and I will spend the evening reading the operators manual. Everything is tight and operates perfectly. It has a years worth of dirt and old grass, but otherwise is in almost showroom appearance and condition /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Tomorrow, the tractor will get a cleanup, oil/filter change, air filter cleaned, and the hydraulic oil checked. When I started to check the tire pressures, I found that the rear tires were waterfilled and with anti freeze. I'm stoked! Thanks for all the words of advice.