Price Check Opinions requested on price and performance

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #1  

hipilot

I am a complete newbe who needs a tractor, but has never sat on a tractor.

We recently purchased a home and 10 acres in the Arkansas Ozarks (read rocks) and will be buying more acreage soon. Presently, we have about 5 acres to mow and 5 acres to bush hog all sloping. In addition, we have post holes to dig, a gravel road surface to level, and in the near future will have dense cedar groves to clear and lots of trash to haul around.

I think that my tractor needs are defined by:
1 simple to operate and maintain
2 four wheel drive
3 Thirty or more HP
4 FEL, bush hog, some kind of blade and finish mower
5 an absolute height limit of 83.5 inches to avoid having to rebuild my garages.

Now, before I can do any real comparison shopping, while looking at other prospective real estate purchases, I have been offered a deal that appears attractive. I must have a reply by Friday to an offered tractor.

Here is the offer: A Kubota L2900 - 4 wheel drive with a FEL, a finish mower and Deere brush hog, vintage 1995 with 323 hours on the meter. AG tires. The condition appears cherry. The price is $11,500.

Should I rush over with my checkbook, my pickup and trailer and grab it before somebody else finds it or should I continue my tractor education until I am better able to make a rational decision?

Help!

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #2  
Well, you said "simple to operate" and whether a manual transmission tractor qualifies depends on the operator, I suppose. I prefer hydrostatic transmissions myself, but if a manual transmission suits you, I'd said you ought to buy that one. Assuming your description is right and the hour meter is right, sounds like a good deal to me.

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #3  
I agree with Bird, I like a manual trans myself, but its all in what you want. But that sure sounds good, price, condition and all. Like he said if the hour meter is right, and you can kind of tell by what the tractor looks like, its not even broke in good yet. Good for many many more years.

/ Opinions requested on price and performance
Thanks guys,
I am a little nervous about putting out that sum of money without knowing more about tractors. But the owner of this tractor has been hospitalized much of the time since he bought it new. So I believe the engine hours are accurate.

But I still welcome more advice about the suitability of this machine for the work that I need to do.

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #5  
Welcome to TBN, from over the border. Sure is pretty over there in those razorback hills!

I can't imagine that rig would depreciate significantly after you bought it. You could certainly get a lot of use from it and then still sell or trade it.

But, I really am glad that I have a hydrostatic, for our patch of the Ozarks.

iT IS UNBELIEVABLE HOW QUICKLY I CAN FIND MYSELF IN A PRECARIOUS SITUATION, AND THE HYDRO SAVES MY NECK! You can't put a price on safety; and what is safe for a seasoned operator who uses the equipment full time, might not be for someone who is learning, and part time. (me...)

No matter which way you go, be sure that you take the time to fully familiarize yourself with it before you get in sticky spots...

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #6  
Ok im gonna have to agree with rockyridge on this one. I have experience with both hydro and manual trans. The hydro is the best thing I have ever done (well, second best.. loader purchase would be #1). Just having the hydro has saved me a ton of time, and has actually saved my butt a few times as well. And if you ever get in some soupy mud and start to get stuck, the hydro really shines. As well as doing loader work. It is awesome.
This is just my opinion. Good luck!!
-Brad

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #7  
Sounds like a pretty good price. Not many hours and there's alot of stuff with it.

Steve

/ Opinions requested on price and performance
Hydrostatic
Shows how much I know about tractors. I have hydrostatic on my Cub Cadet 1525, but didn't real tractors had a similar device. I don't know if the L2900 has it or can be retrofitted.

Fred

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #9  
You can't retrofit it.... Please try one out before settling on a gear unit. In your hills, it really would be handy. It might be a life saver!

/ Opinions requested on price and performance #10  
I grew up somewhat around tractors. My preference is Hydro and I really think you, not ever sitting on a tractor should seriously look at and test drive one with Hydro. Just my opinion. Especially with hills.

murph