Tractor Sizing Kubota L3800 -vs- L4600 For Stumping Etc.

/ Kubota L3800 -vs- L4600 For Stumping Etc. #31  
sunflowers 2013 003.jpg

This tractor has a loader and the last thing I would want to do was push trees...This tractor weighs 20k lbs., yet it was not designed for it
Break anything, and the rental cost on a track machine will be pocket change

/ Kubota L3800 -vs- L4600 For Stumping Etc. #32  
I'd push trees over all day long with that. It could handle far bigger trees than my kubota. Probably not as big as the BH, but likely lots more maneuverable in the woods without a 13-1/2' high BH boom hanging off the back.

Loaders WERE designed to push. And not everyone can afford a single purpose track machine that makes a mess out of the yard if you have to drive across, and God forbid have to turn.

Dont get me wrong, I would love a tracked machine. But cannot afford one. So I make do with what I have.

/ Kubota L3800 -vs- L4600 For Stumping Etc. #33  
The L4600 does not have hst+.. it is a "standard" tractor like the L3800.. These are base models not Deluxe models.. They do not have as many features as the Kioti DK lineup.

You're absolutely right....for some reason, I always forget that about the 4600, but remember it about the 3200 and 3800. :confused3:

/ Kubota L3800 -vs- L4600 For Stumping Etc. #35  
I would sell the the big tress off as verneer hire a logger for that and they will pay you for the good wood I would not want anything less then an mx5100 I had an L3800 I traded it in after 2 months fel wasn't strong enough and its was alittle light when I find a used 8540 or a 9540 the 7040 is gone just my 2 cents

/ Kubota L3800 -vs- L4600 For Stumping Etc. #36  
I'd push trees over all day long with that. It could handle far bigger trees than my kubota. Probably not as big as the BH, but likely lots more maneuverable in the woods without a 13-1/2' high BH boom hanging off the back.

Loaders WERE designed to push. And not everyone can afford a single purpose track machine that makes a mess out of the yard if you have to drive across, and God forbid have to turn.

Dont get me wrong, I would love a tracked machine. But cannot afford one. So I make do with what I have.

You are 100 percent right about tearing things up...I try not to turn it on anything of any value....I took it across the corner of my barn apron and it cracked it up the middle...I only use it for special projects, and I'm looking to sell it in the future.

/ Kubota L3800 -vs- L4600 For Stumping Etc. #37  
View attachment 333711

This tractor has a loader and the last thing I would want to do was push trees...This tractor weighs 20k lbs., yet it was not designed for it
Break anything, and the rental cost on a track machine will be pocket change

Dave, Check out the links I posted for some pics. You don't need a dozer for land clearing, I do it all the time with my little "tonka toy" In fact, it's the primary purpose I have. Keep in mind I also have a full sized industrial backhoe as well, and I still use the Tonka toy over the backhoe. Unless your clear cutting (which it doesn't sound like the op is) then a compact tractor can often do just as good of a job, if not better (albeit slower) without making nearly the mess of an industrial machine, and not damaging much of the stand in the process. In fact, some forestry stewardship and management plans actually specify that heavy equipment NOT be used in selective harvesting.

Now, if he was clear cutting, that's a different story. But it doesn't sound like he wants to level the place and put a development in.

/ Kubota L3800 -vs- L4600 For Stumping Etc. #38  
ruts.jpg

I used the loader on the side of a hill pushing stumps and large rocks...The CG on a tractor is to high for my liking when it come to clearing anything on rough terrain. I like equipment to go in the direction I point it.. The tractor will not steer well pushing and tapping a brake to keep it where it belongs...I like to get er done and move to the next project....There's a lot of cheap horsepower out there, so why buy new...Don't laugh, but pretty near every piece of equipment I own come off Craigslist or a distressed owner

/ Kubota L3800 -vs- L4600 For Stumping Etc. #39  
Very large trees. the majority of them are even a challenge for my Husqvarna saw and when blocked up to 18", I can barely lift them onto the splitter until they've dried out a bit.

If your trees are that big it's a waste to burn them. My most expensive "attachment" is my LT10.

8x6SAM_0365.jpg

The base cost new was about $3,000 before extra blades etc. After I load a tree on the mill it takes about 8 months and 1 hour to turn a 10' log into 150 board feet of lumber air dried. That's 1 hour for the sawing and 8 months for the drying. So far I've only produced about 500 board feet and have used most of it for shelving. But I had to clear those 3 trees anyways.

And when you mill trees you get the outside cant or flitch which is very suitable for firewood.

/ Kubota L3800 -vs- L4600 For Stumping Etc.
How's this to throw a monkey wrench in the works. My wife took me to a Massey Ferguson dealer and we both were very impressed with the 1635 with the FEL. Looks like the package that would come closest to the L3800 will be a couple grand more but it seems like a lot more tractor in many ways.
Stay tuned for the saga!!
Brian