Tractor models for small-scale rocky diggign?

/ Tractor models for small-scale rocky diggign? #1  

ps118

Tractor
None
Hello all,

I'm a long-time lurker around here but now I signed up because I've got a question. I'm pretty much a noob to the country and now looking for my first tractor.

Anyway, being in the Rocky Mountains, what I've got is rocks and slopes. Stands to reason. What I want to do is terrace it out and make it into grow beds. I don't want anything too huge, but at the same time I'd need something that could still handle the job, both in terms of being able to dig rocky ground, and being able to traverse slopes as safely as possible.

Beyond that, I don't know what I'd need in terms of hp or anything else. I thought I'd open that up for opinions... what I should be looking for/avoiding... models... etc...

Thoughts?

/ Tractor models for small-scale rocky diggign? #2  
As a fellow mountain man, I'd say your first and primary thing to look at is weight. Weight equals traction. Weight down low equals stability. Horsepower is what does the tasks you need to do, but weight is what lets you plant the power efficiently. I'd say you'll want the heaviest tractor in whatever class of tractors you are looking at, and will want added weight such as liquid filled rear tires, weights, etc., widen the stance as much as your rims allow. Perhaps if your hills and slopes are very steep you'll want dual tires on it, but that is only an option on big tractors.

How much land are you on and what would you call your "most feared" slope? Pics may help.

/ Tractor models for small-scale rocky diggign? #3  
The tasks listed sounds like you need a compact track loader.

/ Tractor models for small-scale rocky diggign? #4  
Sound more like you need a track excavator with a rock drill on it and a few tons of AMFO to blast out your rocks then remove them with another excavator. Small CUT Tractors don't work rocks very well and neither to large Utility tractors.

/ Tractor models for small-scale rocky diggign? #5  
What else are you going to use the machine for? Wide and low is good but having the right attachment on the loader can make all the difference in the world. Any chance you could post some pics so the TBN community can offer some real insight? Thank you.

/ Tractor models for small-scale rocky diggign? #6  
I own both small (KubotaB26 TLB ) and large (LS P7010) and I can tell you that no tractor with a FEL will like to dig in rocks or rocky soil. I have tons of rocks in my land and the larger ones are haphazardly scattered. Hitting a small rock (basketball sized and even soccer ball sized) when digging with the FEL in soft dirt will stop my 70HP tractor dead in its tracks. Rocks are really hard to dig out with an FEL which is why I have my B26 back hoe and even with the hoe and rock teeth on it, it is sometimes hard to dig in rocks. I have shale all over my place at varying depths from almost surface to 4 feet or more below and when I hit that, I have to stop digging as it is too hard on the equipment to dig thru even though I can shatter it with effort to remove some of the shale for road beds, the deeper I dig the harder it gets.
That is why I said get an excavator and /or rock drill and blast it out if it is rock, not even 100 ton excavator can dig in solid rock.

/ Tractor models for small-scale rocky diggign? #7  
Backing up Gary Fowler:

I have a Kubota B3300SU tractor/loader package: 33-hp/1,900 pounds/4-WD. This weight/power is TOO SMALL for your needs.

If you decide on tractor route you probably want to look at TLB (Tractor/Loader/Backhoe) with 50 horsepower or more, Construction Grade.

Construction Grade backhoes are much more robust and have higher capacities than compact tractor backhoes......unfortunately more money too.

/ Tractor models for small-scale rocky diggign?
What else are you going to use the machine for? Wide and low is good but having the right attachment on the loader can make all the difference in the world. Any chance you could post some pics so the TBN community can offer some real insight? Thank you.

Sure. Here's a representative pic of the hills I'm trying to fix up.
100_0893.jpg

(Turkeys decided to pose for me at the top. Ok fine, I'll take your picture, you vain birds you! :) )

/ Tractor models for small-scale rocky diggign? #9  
Is this mostly the 3-6" rocks typical of the Utah foothills? An FEL "could" be used to do this, but a backhoe or mini excavator would be the better tool.

Maybe renting something would be the better option? Even renting for a month or two would be be a less expensive way to get a good sized machine to really do what you're trying to do.

/ Tractor models for small-scale rocky diggign? #10  
I've never used a rock bucket, but it may be something you want to look into as an option? Although I imagine it's still not good for digging, rather, picking up loose rocks and leaving soil behind. A tractor really isn't the right tool for hard rock digging.