Comparison Opinions needed!!

/ Opinions needed!! #1  

Erickson5006

Tractor
looking to buy
My wife and i will soon purchase our first tractor. It will be used mainly as a loader tractor, feeding round bales for 35 head.

The tractors that we are trying to decide between are:

A; 1989 Massey 399 fwa $18,000
Has recent engine work, front end work, and clutch from dealer.
B; 197l JICase 1270. $10,000
C;1968 Cockshutt 1850fwa $5500
D; 1991 CaseIH 7110fwa $26,000 Has been abused...but cheap...
All opinions are welcome, facts are appreciated.

/ Opinions needed!!
The hour meters on these tractors either don't work, or have been wrapped around.

/ Opinions needed!! #3  
I don't know the prices of used tractors in your part of Canada, but those prices seem quite High to me. If it were me, I would continue to search. This is just my opinion. Best wishes.

/ Opinions needed!! #4  
Can't you find anything newer?

/ Opinions needed!!
Hard to find newer tractors above 80hp for under 25,000. We also looked at a 1996 John Deere 7800fwa, but he was insulted that we only offered him $40,000. :p

Keep in mind that every one of these has a front end loader. The 7110 also has grapples.

An old front end loader sells for around 3000 and good tires are around 750/rear, 400/fwa, and 250/front non drive tire.

Last edited:
   / Opinions needed!! #6  
Why you need 80HP?

/ Opinions needed!! #7  
If you own one tractor and feed cattle, you want reliability.
My first choice is the CaseIH 7110 if it is in serviceable condition.
Second, the Massey. Dependent on the condition of the CaseIH, maybe first on the list.
Distant third, the Cockshutt, older, more parts availability problems, front axle not maneuverable (turning radius).
Case 1270 too big, nobody understands how to fix Case Powershift transmissions, 2WD. I'd not consider it at all.

Carefully consider who in your area will supply parts & service for anything you buy.
Don't let anyone convince you to buy anything much smaller than the Massey.

/ Opinions needed!!
I'm not planning on working the land with anything bigger than a 12' cultivator...but i don't really want the tractor screaming all day long to do it. I could get away with probably...60 draw bar hp, (75 engine) but i want a capable tractor.

I'm leaning towards the Massey actually...97hp pto would be enough, and i cant find any bad reviews on it.

/ Opinions needed!! #9  
Are there any JD 4020's up there? Good ones can usually be had for under 20K in my area. That is good money considering they were less than that new.

/ Opinions needed!! #10  
We feed round bales all the time with a 45HP 2WD in dry weather and an 85HP 4WD in wet weather and snow. Sometimes with the 60HP 4WD. I don't think a couple of 1000 to 1500lb bales take that much tractor.