Want to buy tractor with backhoe for use on hills

/ Want to buy tractor with backhoe for use on hills #1  

HillBilly77

Tractor
JD4510, Ford 9N
I want to get a tractor/backhoe/front loader that I can safely use on 80 acres or hilly, mostly wooded land in eastern Indiana. I need to re-dig some wildlife ponds, make creek crossings and road culverts, rework some drainages and make new tractor routes for hauling out firewood.

What kind of equipment should I look for to give me the most stability on steep hills? Should I get 4WD? Hydrostatic transmission? Dual rear wheels? Are there any models that are more stable than others?

I have been using an old Ford 9N for bush hogging and hauling wood, going straight up/down 15 degree slopes, and will keep it for these chores. I need to take the backhoe on steeper terrain.

Any advice will be appreciated
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Want to buy tractor with backhoe for use on hills #2  
Ron, you will probably get a whole range of answers to your question and many will ask for additional information like how much you intend to spend. If you plan on buying a tractor in the $35,000 plus range, there are many choices in the 50 to 75 horsepower range, but they are really above the compact utility tractor range. I don't know of any of these tractors that have a hydrostatic transmission, but they all can be 4WD and can be fitted with very nice backhoes. Below 50 horsepower in the $35,000 and below range, you can find tractors with hydrostatic transmissions, 4WD, FELs, and the choices are unlimited for accessories. With 80 acres and your experience with the 9N, I'm guessing you would not be satisfied with anything below 35 horsepower. The base 35 hp tractor will be $16,000 to $19,000 and then you can start adding attachments to easily reach the $35,000 region. I wouldn't want anything less for the work you describe. I'm not sure any of these tractors are suitable for cleaning out stock ponds. I consider that dozer or excavator work. You can do it with a tractor, but you will use a lot of time doing it. All the other clearing jobs, laying culverts, and creek crossings will be handled well with a utility or farm tractor. All the major brands will have a full line of tractors and implements. Many will have attractive financing plans too. Good luck in your search. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Want to buy tractor with backhoe for use on hills #3  
You may want to look at a small excavator or dozer with a backhoe, too.

/ Want to buy tractor with backhoe for use on hills #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What kind of equipment should I look for to give me the most stability on steep hills? Should I get 4WD? Hydrostatic transmission? Dual rear wheels? Are there any models that are more stable than others? )</font>

To give you an idea of what you can do with 4WD and a compact tractor with hydro tranny, I've attached a photo of a path/trail I built with my tractor. The small hills you see on the right side of the photo are no problem for my 45 hp tractor. I'm sure John Deeres, Kubotas, Massey Fergusons, and all the other tractors in that hp range would perform similarly. I don't think you need rear duals for the jobs you described.

Attachments

• 316681-PondPath3.JPG
    316681-PondPath3.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 437
   / Want to buy tractor with backhoe for use on hills #5  
In my case, Deee requires the wheels set out to their widest position when used with a backhoe. So my little 4310 is VERY stable in the hills. I am sure that a larger fram would be the same.

You lose thet adjustment with the industrial tires (although they are wider)

I'd rather have the ag's in the hills; not that there aren't others who'd swear by the industrials.

/ Want to buy tractor with backhoe for use on hills
Re: Want to buy tractor with backhoe for use on hi

UPDATE--- Just got “back home again in Indiana”. Thanks to all who replied for their good advice. “jinman” that photo was worth a thousand words! I measured that slope you were on at 22 degrees, by the way. That’s about what I want to do.

My current feeling is to go with a tractor rather than a dozer or Bobcat-type, just because I am comfortable with tractors, and may need the tractors versatility and three-point hitch later on for bush-hogging, etc. The 35 HP range sounds about right for me. The
Bobcat is so narrow I cant believe it could travel across much of a hill carrying a hoe.

Would a hydrostatic transmission give better control on hills?

Thanks again to all. Ron
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Want to buy tractor with backhoe for use on hills #7  
Since you already have the 9N to handle your normal tractoring chores, I would look at a dozer/excavator for the heavy digging. I have seen nice used ones for $15-20K, about the same as a used tractor big enough for the job and you would be a lot happier with the results.

/ Want to buy tractor with backhoe for use on hills #8  
I agree with the miniexcavtor suggestion.

I have a fairly big tractor but did not buy a backhoe attachment. The reason is I have rented tractor backhoes and miniexcavators and the difference is night and day.
Partciluarly on steep slopes. Do your self a favour and rent a mini-excavtor and try it out.
The back fill blade can be used as a light dozer if you do not have a lot of material to move.

Phred

/ Want to buy tractor with backhoe for use on hills #9  
Only problem w/ excavators on hills is depending on the job u may have to dig it in to level the machine.
U also run into trouble w/ the swing power if it is on a steep angle, if u dig on the low side it may not have enough swing power to turn up hill.
Some of the mid size excavators have turn table leveling but I don't know about the smaller ones.
Look down in the hills in KY and u will see Deere 350 dozers w/ pto and a hoe attachment so u can use it like a tractor.
I've worked dozers on really severe angles that I don't think rubber tire machine would even go up.