Comparison Dollar for Dollar,HP for HP Massey versus JD

/ Dollar for Dollar,HP for HP Massey versus JD #1  

Old_Hickory

Platinum Member
Side buy side on the Massey Ferguson compacts and the John Deere compacts,what is the difference Dollar wise ? Is there any difference? Is the quality the same on the tractors ?Does the John Deere have more "bells and whistles" ?
Can you excpect to do more or less with one tractor of the same size compared to the other?
How about warranties? Part availability?

/ Dollar for Dollar,HP for HP Massey versus JD #2  
Hmmmm another tractor shopper...

I have been doing the same type of research. So far have not stood the Massey next to a JD, but did stand it up next to a NH.
Cost wise will depend on your dealer. Treading these boards you will find most buyers, if they have many dealers to choose from, will get a varied set of prices for all tractor brands.
The Massey factory warentee is 2 years...forgot to ask the NH guy. Parts depend once again on the dealer, and his local network. Here in Central Oregon, there are not alot of dealers, but they seem well stocked with parts.

Hope this helps

er...still shopping

/ Dollar for Dollar,HP for HP Massey versus JD #3  
Hi and welcome!
I have just been through an exhaustive search for my latest tractor, comparing all the big brands, including JD & Massey. I did most of my research here - if you are willing to put in some time just about everything you need to know is on this site. Go to the Massey & JD sites for specs.

Having said that, my decision ended up being made on the most important factor: I found a dealer that was respected, honest and fair. That would stand behind the product, service it, pick up and deliver it (for free!). Real people that know about farming, etc. not just salespeople. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.

Most of the new tractors out there are very nice, they will ALL do a great job for you. Please take the time to fill out your profile so we can see the area you are from, because pricing and dealers are different around the country. Maybe someone out there can steer you to a good dealer and the product you like!

Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Dollar for Dollar,HP for HP Massey versus JD #4  
Old_Hickery:

As you said dollar for dollar...

Deponding how big of tractors your looking at booth dealers I'll take a bet and guess you looking at compact tractors meaning your looking at Yanmar's (John Deere) or Iseki's (Massy) both compacts are made over seas and both manf's. have been making tractors sinse you've been a kid (guess here)

<font color="blue">bells and whistles" </font>
I would have to say John Deere does come with more, but for me I'm not into a lot of electric switches on my tractor, seems to me just more things to go wrong (some where under my hair on my head is a tatoo saying "just keep it simple stupid" and I live by that.

<font color="blue"> Can you excpect to do more or less with one tractor of the same size compared to the other </font>
Here I'm going to have to say "NO" if you are comparing the same size of tractor.

<font color="blue"> How about warranties? Part availability? </font>
Again here I have to say the same booth will be good...this deponds upon your dealer.

In my area the Massy's (1433v) are a little pricey and I ended up with a very basic John Deere (790). what can I say...I really liked both tractors.

Whiskey

/ Dollar for Dollar,HP for HP Massey versus JD #5  
Around here at least MF is not all that popular. Something to consider for resale is what is popular in your area. If that doesn't matter, you might want to check out Century/Branson. I don't know a lot about them but I saw them at the fair and they look like they might be worth checking out.

/ Dollar for Dollar,HP for HP Massey versus JD #6  
When I went to buy my tractor a fewyears ago.. I did a bunch of comparisons... between the orange, green red and blue dealers. ( Keep in mind, prices are regional, and dealers have leeway.. etc )

I found orange and green to be the highest , green being higher. Blue and red were close, red being cheapest, and also having less 'features'.

I ended up going blue, based on price and a great deal on a machine on their lot a couple years old.. but would have gone red otherwise.

MF's are pretty good proven technology.. like some others have said.. not quite as many bells and whistles.. but then.. I like a sparse operators platform, and 'economy' tractors don't scare me in the least.

One thing though... the MF sub-compacts are a bit light for their HP class.. for instance, they have a 24 hp model that is about the size of a blue TC-18... I think some of that hp may be a waste if the tires just spin cause' the tractor isn't heavy enough... then again, for say.. mowing... it might be a good use pulling a rotary cutter.. etc... Just depends on your uses.

Orange sub-compacts looked a bit small/light too.

Here, doller/hp winner was red.. followed closely by blue.

As for domestic / import.. I think just about all colors are built overseas and shipped in.. so technology is roughly equivalent..

Soundguy