Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3800DT, L3750DT Shuttle

Default Re: Help me decide from your experience (Hydrostatic or Shuttle Shift)

If you have to ask this question, then HST is what you need to get.

I much prefer gear, or shuttle, but I do little loader work.
    Don
    Kubota L3750 Hydro Shuttle, 4wd, FEL; L3800 Gear drive, 4wd, FEL
    Husqvarna XP chainsaws 346xp X3, 357xp, 562xp, 359

Tractor
    NH Boomer 8N, NH TC40DA

If you are limited to one tractor go for the HST. My wife's TC40DA HST has the loader and it works great for loader work. Before I got my Boomer 8N I used it for mowing and it was really nice to have HST for backing around trees. You can turn in the seat to look backwards and not have to let go of the wheel to shift directions.

My Boomer 8N has the CVT which is basically a cross between the shuttle and HST. I use the lever for forward and reverse and the pedal for speed, no gears to select. It has the cutter on it. The nice thing about CVT is there is no HST whine which is nice for long hours mowing.
    Randy

NH Boomer 8N, 6' Squealer Rotary Cutter
    NH TC40DA, 16LA FEL, Red Master II Harrow
    Land Pride 6' Tiller, 7' Landscape Rake
    2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 6.6 Duramax, Allison
    2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 6.6 Duramax, Allison
    Big Tex 12GP 20' GN trailer
    Cub Cadet RZT 50"

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

If it is mostly loader work, HST is the way to go. It is also safer on hills and easy for others unfamiliar with the tractor to jump on and need a minimum of instruction or practice to operate safely and easily.
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3800DT, L3750DT Shuttle

Quote Originally Posted by repowell View Post
    If you are limited to one tractor go for the HST. My wife's TC40DA HST has the loader and it works great for loader work. Before I got my Boomer 8N I used it for mowing and it was really nice to have HST for backing around trees. You can turn in the seat to look backwards and not have to let go of the wheel to shift directions.

My Boomer 8N has the CVT which is basically a cross between the shuttle and HST. I use the lever for forward and reverse and the pedal for speed, no gears to select. It has the cutter on it. The nice thing about CVT is there is no HST whine which is nice for long hours mowing.
    I've never heard of, or seen a Boomer!

Dang, that's a great looking tractor!!!
    Last edited by Bluegill2; 08-29-2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: typo
    Don
    Kubota L3750 Hydro Shuttle, 4wd, FEL; L3800 Gear drive, 4wd, FEL
    Husqvarna XP chainsaws 346xp X3, 357xp, 562xp, 359

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

I prefer a hydro for mixed jobs, just easier to use imo. Gears are more efficient for large field work though.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3032E

If I were to be looking for a tractor to do what you mentioned it would be hydro for sure
    I love mine and it wasn't 2 days after I had it my wife and then 13 year old daughter were using it
    very easy to use with loader work and when slashing the fields you don't need to drop RPM's around bushes and trees or on the ends
    just ease up on the peddle and move a little slower

Elite Member
    Tractor
    7040 HDC 1153 fel

i stepped up from an HST to a hydro shuttle tractor because i needed more hp an loader lift cap.but for you id say get the HST.

Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

Quote Originally Posted by bigbull338 View Post
    i stepped up from an HST to a hydro shuttle tractor because i needed more hp an loader lift cap.but for you id say get the HST.
    Any regrets?
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

Elite Member
    Tractor
    7040 HDC 1153 fel

Quote Originally Posted by Piston View Post
    Any regrets?
    no it was the best thing id ever done.back in 2010 i had thought about the hydro shuttles because i was wanting either the 7040 or 8540.but because not knowing how my leg would hold up to clutching when needed an money i with with the HST.now 2013 mx5100 hst was doing what i asked of it but straining.so enter the 7040 wich i found out that i dont have to clutch at all doing what i do with it.now if you was plowing or discing you would need to clutch to shift from farward to nutrel because of the rpms you be running at.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12