Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Searching

Default Help me decide from your experience (Hydrostatic or Shuttle Shift)

I am on the fence on choosing a Hydrostatic transmission or going with the Shuttle. I have demoed both and really like the Kioti tractor the best but they do not currently offer the "power" Shuttle like MF does on the 1600 series. The Kioti HST is really smooth and I like it very much. I will mainly be pulling a finishing mower and doing light loader work. My yard has some hills. Will the Hydro fall short for me? Thanks!

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    kubota 7040sud

Default Re: Help me decide from your experience (Hydrostatic or Shuttle Shift)

I would get the hst tranny I have a shuddle im tired of it doing loader work shuddle gets old really fast on the leg I would get one size larger tractor if I were you been there done that

Tractor
    Searching

Thanks for the input. I found a few good deals around. I really like the ease of use for the HST.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    kubota 7040sud

you welcome I had a 38hp tractor traded up to a 70hp

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 & BX2230, Farmall Super M, Super A

For the kind of work you mentioned, the HST is great. Don't know what model HST Kioti you're looking at, but suggest you find one with 3 speed ranges instead of 2. With the 2 ranges, you're always shifting between Hi and Lo because one is geared for pulling power and the other for high travel speed. The 3 range setup has that Mid range that's a good all-around balance of reasonable speed and OK pulling power, so you don't have to be shifting ranges for most work. Not the biggest problem in the world, but it improves your productivity a little.

Platinum Member DutchHenryBrown's Avatar
    Tractor
    Mahindra 5010

My first two tractors were shuttle units the one I have now is HST and for me no going back!

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 241, Massey Ferguson 2244 crawler

If you're not doing something where every PTO horsepower counts, HST is pretty hard to beat. For loader work there's no comparison, and even using a finish mower, or brush cutter, they're really handy. One of the regular posters here just traded in a nearly new LS R4041 Shuttle to get an R4047 Hydro almost entirely because he started to really hate the shuttle. You know that had to cost him a few bucks, and he still did it.

Tractor
    Yanmar LX4900//Cub 7532//Cub Yanmar SC2400//CAT 312B//Komatsu D38

With your applications, I would also opt for the hydro. I tried a shuttle shift last year, but really didn't like it in the woods, and doing loader work.
    I also traded it back in for the same tractor with hydro.
    Mine also has cruise control, a very nice feature for a hydro...

Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

In my opinion, having operated both types like many others, an HST wins hands down. It is very hard to beat a hydrostatic transmission.
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

I run both, go with the HST.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast