Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

Default Re: Old Ford or fresh and new.

Hmm-a 40-year old 47 hp (engine) diesel tractor without FEL for $2500. If I were you, I'd grab it if it checks out OK. That's real cheap horsepower. Then get yourself a new/newer 30-35 hp (engine) tractor with FEL. Problem solved.

Good luck.

LD1
    Tractor
    Kubota l3400

None of the tasks you describe require a loader. And the stumping, if they are larger, or many of them, you'd be best served renting a mini-ex for a day or a stump grinder. Like soundguy said, stumping is hard on improper equipment.

I'm all for a FEL too. THey are indeed handy. But mine never gets used of mowing or driveway grading. Now if you have alot of dirt to move, or other jobs that you need a FEL fo, by all means get one. But that old iron for 2500 is a good deal if it checks out.

I dont like the package deals. You end up with a lot of new implements. And I dont like new implements. Far too many good used ones out there for me to want to spend the $$$
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    none right now

So LD1 if u order a load of gravel for ur driveway you don't use ur fel to spread it?

Tractor
    Kubota B2620, Ford 2N

What would it cost to add a loader to the Ford?

Tractor
    Many

Quote Originally Posted by flusher View Post
    Hmm-a 40-year old 47 hp (engine) diesel tractor without FEL for $2500. If I were you, I'd grab it if it checks out OK. That's real cheap horsepower. Then get yourself a new/newer 30-35 hp (engine) tractor with FEL. Problem solved.

Good luck.
    I agree,$2500 is cheap if it is in good condition. I never want a loader on when grading driveways, brush hogging, pulling a trailer, etc. It really restricts the maneuverability. I'd get the Ford and figure out and take time to get a good buy on an FEL machine if in fact you need it. They make 3 pt booms if you just need to lift an occasional heavy load.

The older tractor keeps your hours down and the paint in better condition on your newer tractor too. If ever selling, two main items that help sell are low hours and good paint.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

wow! that's a cheap ford. a 3000 is usually 4500$ here!
    souNdguy

sent from my NOKIA LUMIA

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

For 2500 and in decent condition I would buy it at least to use for awhile.

Tractor
    Ford 800 powermaster

I have a 58 ford 800 Power Master I got with my property and 8 acre field. It looks like petty coat junction but parts are available and cheap.

I have used my grader blade - 100 dollars, pond scoop 100 dollars, hawse 5 ft bush hog - 650 dollars, ABO-22 8ft adjustable disc 400 has round and chopper discs, post hole digger 250 with 12" auger and ford 3 row plow 250 to do everything I could do with a loader/4x4 and minus a payment of 3 or 400 dollars.

If you can pay cash or handle payment easy - the new is great, just minus ac/heat/cab?

If no payment, working with what you got and knowing your capabilities of tractor and equipment works for you and you are reasonable - the ford is fine. You may have to do more steps or more trips, wait for it to dry up so you don't get stuck?

If you're a high roller and impatient and do not have the time to wait - I highly recommend the newer

It took a couple of years watching, listening, estate sales and yard sales to find everything for decent price and all good equipment minus a few pins and parts.

Tractor
    3930 Ford B1750 & B7500 Kubota

All it takes is lots of time, hard work and luck to get good deals on older equipment. They are out there, you just have to find them. I would go ahead and buy the Ford. You can be using it while looking for a newer used tractor. My 39 HP is the biggest tractor I have ever owned, so a 47 HP would be a dream tractor for me. At that price, anyway.

Tractor
    Many

Quote Originally Posted by RBORGES66 View Post
    I have a 58 ford 800 Power Master I got with my property and 8 acre field. It looks like petty coat junction but parts are available and cheap. I have used my grader blade - 100 dollars, pond scoop 100 dollars, hawse 5 ft bush hog - 650 dollars, ABO-22 8ft adjustable disc 400 has round and chopper discs, post hole digger 250 with 12" auger and ford 3 row plow 250 to do everything I could do with a loader/4x4 and minus a payment of 3 or 400 dollars.
    If you can pay cash or handle payment easy - the new is great, just minus ac/heat/cab?
    If no payment, working with what you got and knowing your capabilities of tractor and equipment works for you and you are reasonable - the ford is fine. You may have to do more steps or more trips, wait for it to dry up so you don't get stuck?
    If you're a high roller and impatient and do not have the time to wait - I highly recommend the newer
    It took a couple of years watching, listening, estate sales and yard sales to find everything for decent price and all good equipment minus a few pins and parts.
    Bravo, keep the old iron in use and save a ton. I have a mix of old and new, but would never be without the deals I could not pass up.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast