Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47
  1. #21
    Old Timer Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    51,823
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: Old Ford or fresh and new.

    Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    For 2500 and in decent condition I would buy it at least to use for awhile.
    could flip it and make $$
    souNdguy

    sent from my NOKIA LUMIA

  2. #22
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,143
    Location
    Fairmont, WV
    Tractor
    Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - John Deere 42" Geardrive w/bagger purchased 2012 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2006

    Default Re: Old Ford or fresh and new.

    Quote Originally Posted by tractorman38 View Post
    What are yall's opinion on mahindra . I prefer American made buy, but nothing is these days anymore. Deere is nice but green paint is not worth the price diff.for me.
    I love my Mahindra. As far as American made, they are as much as anything else. The loaders and backhoes they use on most of their lineup is USA made as far as I know. The tractors are sourced from a number of places, and they have assembly plants in the US. India has always been a fine ally to the USA, so I have no problems doing business with them.

    As for the OP question of new or old, no matter the brand you look at they're all providing free or cheap money to make the purchase. Between the low and no interest deals all over and the warranty negating any major repair costs, I cannot see any reason to purchase used except in exceptional circumstances (great deal, perfect machine for the job, etc.).

  3. #23
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    15
    Location
    meansville ga
    Tractor
    none right now

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sysop View Post

    I love my Mahindra. As far as American made, they are as much as anything else. The loaders and backhoes they use on most of their lineup is USA made as far as I know. The tractors are sourced from a number of places, and they have assembly plants in the US. India has always been a fine ally to the USA, so I have no problems doing business with them.

    As for the OP question of new or old, no matter the brand you look at they're all providing free or cheap money to make the purchase. Between the low and no interest deals all over and the warranty negating any major repair costs, I cannot see any reason to purchase used except in exceptional circumstances (great deal, perfect machine for the job, etc.).
    What mahindra do you have?how long ? What attachments.

  4. #24
    Platinum Member Loadstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    744
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Tractor
    Ford 640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tractorman38
    Ford is around 2500 and mahindra is 17000.
    That is a $14,500 difference. You are going to use the tractor for tasks that are not for a living. Somehow I have survived without a FEL since I began using my tractor as a kid. Very similar tasks. Buy the ford. Care for the ford. Make it look great. Take 14,500 dollars cash out and roll in it laughing. Then do what you can't do with newer machines pass it down a couple generations

  5. #25
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,143
    Location
    Fairmont, WV
    Tractor
    Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - John Deere 42" Geardrive w/bagger purchased 2012 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2006

    Default Re: Old Ford or fresh and new.

    Quote Originally Posted by tractorman38 View Post
    What mahindra do you have?how long ? What attachments.
    4035HST, just purchased this summer, got the FEL and backhoe, couple mowers, post hole digger, box blade. Purchases on the near horizon include hydraulic links on the three point and a boom mower. Considering dual rear tires versus widening the stance more also.

  6. #26
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,143
    Location
    Fairmont, WV
    Tractor
    Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - John Deere 42" Geardrive w/bagger purchased 2012 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2006

    Default Re: Old Ford or fresh and new.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loadstar View Post
    That is a $14,500 difference. You are going to use the tractor for tasks that are not for a living. Somehow I have survived without a FEL since I began using my tractor as a kid. Very similar tasks. Buy the ford. Care for the ford. Make it look great. Take 14,500 dollars cash out and roll in it laughing. Then do what you can't do with newer machines pass it down a couple generations
    I realize it's a big difference in price, owning one and having done a good bit of research on them, I just happened to be in a position to give a reply to the request for opinions about Mahindra.

    I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to hand down a newer tractor down given proper maintenance and future part availability. Old tractors break down too, it's just good part availability that keeps em goin.

  7. #27
    Platinum Member Loadstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    744
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Tractor
    Ford 640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sysop

    I realize it's a big difference in price, owning one and having done a good bit of research on them, I just happened to be in a position to give a reply to the request for opinions about Mahindra.

    I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to hand down a newer tractor down given proper maintenance and future part availability. Old tractors break down too, it's just good part availability that keeps em goin.
    They wont make it. Im sorry but I dont see newer stuff standing the test of time. I have been at dealers where a twenty year old tractor's asking price is similar to much newer tractor. They say "well these are great tractors" My neighbor has a brand new new holland of similar hp to mine and I use my 57 year old tractor twice as much for similar task. It was handed down to me and he makes payments on shiny paint. If I had to buy my tractor outright it would be a $2500 tractor locally. I just don't get the driveway grading small field mowing shiny paint crowd. I did add a 655a to the family but it was still cheaper than shiny paint and is an outstanding machine. I don't know why people are timid of faded paint.

  8. #28
    Super Member TomSeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    7,472
    Location
    .
    Tractor
    JD, Massey, Kubota, Case

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loadstar View Post

    They wont make it. Im sorry but I dont see newer stuff standing the test of time. I have been at dealers where a twenty year old tractor's asking price is similar to much newer tractor. They say "well these are great tractors" My neighbor has a brand new new holland of similar hp to mine and I use my 57 year old tractor twice as much for similar task. It was handed down to me and he makes payments on shiny paint. If I had to buy my tractor outright it would be a $2500 tractor locally. I just don't get the driveway grading small field mowing shiny paint crowd. I did add a 655a to the family but it was still cheaper than shiny paint and is an outstanding machine. I don't know why people are timid of faded paint.
    Right. The newer tractors may be of decent quality but the current race by manufacturers to upstage one another ends up with excessive model replacement. Add that to the number of manufacturers out there today, the various countries they come from and no way will parts be available on these newer tractors 57 years from now as well as the parts for most of the 57 year old Fords, Masseys, Cases, Deeres, etc are available today. You can readily get parts for that old Ford the OP is looking at. Does anyone believe 57 years from now you can get any part you need for this year's model of today's brand X tractor from Country Z? I don't. Old iron rules.

  9. #29
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,143
    Location
    Fairmont, WV
    Tractor
    Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - John Deere 42" Geardrive w/bagger purchased 2012 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2006

    Default Re: Old Ford or fresh and new.

    Considering building and selling spare parts is higher profit than assembling new tractors, not keeping up on part availability over time would be a very bad business practice (unless it is some low volume model with many unique parts). If you priced the parts to build your own I think you'd find buying the parts alone would pretty much equal or exceed the cost of buying one assembled and you don't have the costs of factory assembly and testing associated. Selling parts is where most of the money is to be made for manufacturers.

    I exist at the butt-end of a manufacturing line, and am associated with several others of several various other industries, and I can say without a doubt most manufacturers make the majority of their money on their product after the sale. The manufacturing divisions make the most money on spare parts and in the product services end of things is repairs. Many assembly lines bleed money which is why companies are always looking for automation and cheap labor, without parts and repairs, manufacturers and the dealer networks would disappear quicker than they could be setup... Those same companies seeking automation and cheap labor also dole out millions on figuring a way to provide more services and improve their parts networks. The focus of where manufacturers are putting their money versus where they try to save their money is a pretty good indicator of where their money is made...

    As for how long parts will be available? Who knows... Joe Farmer back in 1945 I'm sure wasn't thinking "will parts be available for my grandkids to do a full ground up resto on this Massey in 2013?"... What I do know is that the more of a product they can sell, the longer they can sell parts and services for it. The more of something they can sell and the longer they can sell parts and services for it, the higher the profit margin is on that particular product. I don't see goals of shorter lifespans on the "new iron" being beneficial to anyone, especially manufacturers. I think as long as the manufacturer is around, there will (at a minimum) be parts available for their most popular models. If only 1000 of (name of most popular old iron ever built goes here) had ever been built, parts wouldn't be available today.

    I'm not saying this holds true for all the tractors produced either. The world is producing more and more "disposable products" all the time, and I'm sure there are more than one "disposable" tractors being sold that the manufacturer's have no intentions of supporting past the warranties. But that doesn't mean all new machines will suffer that same fate, it just doesn't make good business sense...

    I think the primary reason to go new over old or vice-versa, would be how well you know and can service a given tractor. An old tractor is great as long as you can work on it. If you need to buy a tool to work with, and you don't know how to fix what may break; you are likely best off with a new machine that you can learn about over time doing routine maintenance. Someone who knows that old Ford and can look at it and see what is out of place, it's likely a great $2500 investment. Someone who's never spent any time with one and has no clue what would be out of place or not could likely find themselves paying triple that $2500 investment in parts and labor bills because they weren't familiar enough with the machine. In my case, I personally don't want major repairs at this point in my life. I've got hundreds of hours of seat time on other people's machines and never saw under the hoods of any of them. I picked something I thought would last for my uses for what time I have left on this side of the pasture. If something happens to it, hopefully it will either be under warranty, or I'll have learned enough about it through general maintenance and reading in my spare time that I can handle whatever it is. I have work to do and don't want to be learning how to fix something on my tractor to get the work done I need done if it can be avoided in any way... What happens to it once I'm pushing up daisies in the pasture is up to my boys and part availability...
    Last edited by Sysop; 09-01-2013 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Fixin' my hillbilly grammar...

  10. #30
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,451
    Location
    Murray, KY
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

    Default Re: Old Ford or fresh and new.

    Cash is king they say. The older I get the more I wished that I had listened. A good diesel or even gas 3000 even at $4500 long term is a good value. There are nice old tractors out there even with a FEL. Some lines sold today will have staying power but many will be scrapped when they start breaking due to lack of parts and service. There are after market parts for much of the old iron because the volume of them makes aftermarket parts a worth while business.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How "fresh" is a new tractor?
    By topshop in forum Kubota Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 11-13-2013, 01:11 PM
  2. Fresh meat
    By Cotjockey in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2013, 04:06 PM
  3. Barn Fresh from NC
    By waoracing in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-24-2011, 10:02 PM
  4. Fresh Paint
    By JMA375HH in forum New Holland Owning/Operating
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 11:42 AM
  5. Hi, I am the new guy with a fresh 2210!
    By dieselsmith in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 08:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2016 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.