Buying Advice Old Ford or fresh and new.

/ Old Ford or fresh and new. #31  
Sysop said:
Considering building and selling spare parts is higher profit than assembling new tractors, not keeping up on part availability over time would be a very bad business practice (unless it is some low volume model with many unique parts). If you priced the parts to build your own I think you'd find buying the parts alone would pretty much equal or exceed the cost of buying one assembled and you don't have the costs of factory assembly and testing associated. Selling parts is where most of the money is to be made for manufacturers.

"Considering building and selling spare parts is higher profit than assembling new tractors"- So the purpose of building a new machine is simply to support their parts network?... Oook

"not keeping up on part availability over time would be a very bad business practice" -then why do modern manufacturers have no problem doing it? So you buy a new machine! They don't like screwing around with parts.

"If you priced the parts to build your own I think you'd find buying the parts alone would pretty much equal or exceed the cost of buying one assembled "- there is also a cost of packaging, inventorying, shipping and handling parts. Then screwing around with a network dedicated to parts, it's a whole different side of it.

"Selling parts is where most of the money is to be made for manufacturers."- I don't hear on the news about part sales were up or down for manufacturers. Why aren't there Factory parts sales facilities on every corner? Because parts are a necessary evil for manufacturers.

It is much better for manufacturers if you buy new. They do not want you messing around with 50 year old machines.

/ Old Ford or fresh and new. #32  
Buy the used Ford. Use it to learn tractor maintenance, and get more familiar with your "must-do" and "nice-to-do" tasks. Above all make your mistakes on the old tractor. Once you know what you really need you will make the best decision on what to buy. You can keep your old one as a backup or probably trade or sell it for exactly what you paid.

If you buy the wrong new tractor you will loose money when you have to replace it.

/ Old Ford or fresh and new.
Last straw and everyone else thanks for the input, I have noticed on this site there is a lot of "KNOWLEDGE" . I didn't ask for a lesson on manufacturing parts supply and demand **** just wanted an opinion from a group of tractor owners if they were in my shoes what would they do. I'm not farming by no means and am not tractor illiterate I just bought some property and am able to justify owning a tractor and have always wanted one so I asked. Don't need a ******* lesson on parts manufacture. I went to the welding blog on here and noticed some other guys doing the same thing to a guy who asked where to get an inexpensive tig machine, I simply answered his question. Thanks to those of you with helpful input.

/ Old Ford or fresh and new. #34  
Sorry, I apologize for side chatter in your thread tractorman.

/ Old Ford or fresh and new. #35  
Last straw and everyone else thanks for the input, I have noticed on this site there is a lot of "KNOWLEDGE" . I didn't ask for a lesson on manufacturing parts supply and demand **** just wanted an opinion from a group of tractor owners if they were in my shoes what would they do. I'm not farming by no means and am not tractor illiterate I just bought some property and am able to justify owning a tractor and have always wanted one so I asked. Don't need a ******* lesson on parts manufacture. I went to the welding blog on here and noticed some other guys doing the same thing to a guy who asked where to get an inexpensive tig machine, I simply answered his question. Thanks to those of you with helpful input.

That is the way most threads go. Some people who asked your question might want to know those answers.

/ Old Ford or fresh and new. #36  
tractorman38, morning..... I bought a 53 Ford 9 years ago.... rebuilt the engine, new radiator, water pump, starter, clutch, pressure plate etc and had the hydraulics completely gone through.... Total invested including the purchase price... $7000...... Now I have over 1000 hours on it.... runs every day... brush hogging, sub soiling, tilling, plowing snow, post hole auger, manure spreader, 3 point bucket, rear blade, drum mower to cut hay, 14T baler, 7' disc etc... no front bucket just 3 point attachments.... Now there's stuff it won't do, but all considered my fixed costs are around $7 an hour.... that's pretty good, all considered.... The tractor has more that paid for itself and owes me nothing dollar wise....

Dave

/ Old Ford or fresh and new. #37  
DaveOmak brings up a good point that applies to many of the older tractors. Most of them that are reasonably cared for will do today what they could do when new. That being the case if these tractors will do what you need then they are a good low cost solution for you. I definatly prefer having at least one tractor without a fel and ballast box on the rear. You can get lots of work done without a fel and some of these older tractors can really help out with the chores on your place.

/ Old Ford or fresh and new. #38  
I read this thread and I do not recall anyone mentioning that weight does work. A high horsepower tractor that does not weigh much may require 4wd to do the same work that a lower horsepower but higher weight (and traction) 2wd drive tractor. My grandpa and uncles farmed with 2wd tractors. I have no idea what my cousin is using as I have not been out to the farm in 30 years.

I bought my tractor new and was looking at used. I bought the tractor because I "needed" and I did not have cash to buy used. I financed it. Now I have the same tractor which is now a 16 year old used tractor that works fine for me, just like it did when it was new.

By the way the loader is used to move the manure pile. I have moved some dirt but for the most part I use my tractor to mow, spray, dress the dirt/gravel road and sometimes grub roots. Loader is often in the way and not used that much. Probably a lot less than 10% of my hours.

TractorData.com Ford 3000 tractor information

/ Old Ford or fresh and new. #39  
When it comes to a 2wd tractor, the bad combination is 2wd with a loader. Without a loader your rear wheels have a lot more traction, particularly with a brush hog or most any 3pt attachment. Once those are on (and raised), it shifts the weight backwards towards the rear wheels. If the rears are loaded, it is even better.

/ Old Ford or fresh and new. #40  
Your not going to lose a dime on the 3000 model Ford. If you do not like it for any reason sell it Warning you may like it.