Buying Advice Old Ford or fresh and new.

/ Old Ford or fresh and new. #1  

tractorman38

Tractor
none right now
Real new to the site, but I wanted to pick everyone's brain and get some advice. I own 6 acres and will be increasing to 13 total in the future I am in the market for a tractor. I have an oppurtunity to buy a 74,75 ford 3000 diesel very resonnably and in great shape. My concerns are this will I regret no bucket and 4x4. I will be maintaining driveway , mowing , and your usual stump removal and all around tractor duties. I have been quoted a really good package deal on a 28 up mahindra with trailer, bushhog, disc hare and scrap blade. I want to make sure I'm an educated consumer. I really like a Massey 2615 or Kubota mx5100 but these could be to much tractor.

/ Old Ford or fresh and new. #2  
I think you would be better off with a tractor that has a removable loader (fel) and 30 to 40 hp as a minimum. Just about every manufacturer makes has a couple of models in this range. Some are more feature laden than others. Nothing wrong with either the Massey or Kubota models either and I don't think they are too much tractor. All tractors seem to shrink when you get them home. I use and like the Deere 4520 60 hp tractor with ehydro and don't think that would be too large, just depends on what projects you have to do now and in the future.

/ Old Ford or fresh and new. #3  
Welcome from NW Florida. Look at these prices, http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.aspx?manu=FORD&mdltxt=3000, and see how the deal you have stacks up. I have a 3930 and have got by without 4WD or a bucket. You just have to know what you can and can't do with it. New is always good, but you are paying a high price for the pleasure. For me, it is never worth the extra $$. There are too many slightly used tractors on the market.

/ Old Ford or fresh and new. #4  
how much diff in the mahindra package to the ford?

do you need the trailer ?

if yes tot he trailer.. and the mahindra pack has allt he stuff you need. it may simply be the logical choice.

word of caution.

'stumping' is a hard , and potentially dangerous game.

real way to remove a stump is either to dig beside it and then knock it out, or grind it. tipping out with a loader has lead to many bent booms, rams and bowed cutting edges that look mor elike soup spoons.. especially on small equipment.

stump pulling with a chain from the rear has led to many flat people for 2 reasons... 1, many people pull from an incorrect location and flip the machine, 2, pulling a fixed object like a stump is a hard task and abuses the machine. easy way to break things.

i'm all for old fords.. but if you can get all you need as a package, new, warranty, and it is an attractive price... that may be something to look at.

/ Old Ford or fresh and new. #5  
I don't think you should get anything without a FEL.

/ Old Ford or fresh and new.
Ford is around 2500 and mahindra is 17000.

/ Old Ford or fresh and new. #7  
Real new to the site, but I wanted to pick everyone's brain and get some advice. I own 6 acres and will be increasing to 13 total in the future I am in the market for a tractor. I have an oppurtunity to buy a 74,75 ford 3000 diesel very resonnably and in great shape. My concerns are this will I regret no bucket and 4x4. I will be maintaining driveway , mowing , and your usual stump removal and all around tractor duties. I have been quoted a really good package deal on a 28 up mahindra with trailer, bushhog, disc hare and scrap blade. I want to make sure I'm an educated consumer. I really like a Massey 2615 or Kubota mx5100 but these could be to much tractor.

Yes I believe you will regret buying a tractor without a FEL no matter what you pay for it.

What are yall's opinion on mahindra . I prefer American made buy, but nothing is these days anymore. Deere is nice but green paint is not worth the price diff.for me.

/ Old Ford or fresh and new. #9  
None of the compact tractors are made in the USA, John Deere included, my Dads 97 970 is a Yanmar with green paint.

That's exactly what I'm referring to so it shouldn't matter.