Ideas for Heavy Duty Lawn Mower, SC Tractor to accompany Kubtoa L3800 Compatc Tractor

/ Ideas for Heavy Duty Lawn Mower, SC Tractor to accompany Kubtoa L3800 Compatc Tractor #1  

kg7il

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
BackGround:

Our little John Deere D120 riding lawnmower isn't cutting the mustard, or should I say "It isn't cutting the fescue and ryegrass."
The tranny sucks (known problem) and the deck quality equally creates such an oral vacuum. I am on my second deck.

I am quite happy with my Compact Tractor, a Kubota L3800 with the 60" rotary cutter (lawnmower, brush cutter), but my lawn isn't quite so happy.
Having a Kubota, I naturally looked at their offerings while picking up some filters and oil for the big guy.

I think that the BX1870 with a Standard Cut Deck, or the GR2120 might fit my need. Diesel, 4WD, Sturdy with PowerSteering​

Question:

What other LM or SC should I look at to mow, maintain 5-8 acres of rolling hills, valleys where much of it is rough.
The ability to haul a small utility trailer is a must.
Additional attachments can be handled by my L3800,

I'm thinking of 'around $10k' GR2120 is approx. 9K and the BX1870 is approx. $11K​

/ Ideas for Heavy Duty Lawn Mower, SC Tractor to accompany Kubtoa L3800 Compatc Tractor #2  
Depends on what you call rough. Most finish mowers aren't going to live a long life in fields. My tractor is only 200# lighter than yours and the tractor, driver and yard are all happy as can be with the 6 foot Landpride RFM.

Note that with this tractor and the previous (B7500HST) I never mowed with the FEL on. It's too easy to drop it in the shed to put up with the extra weight and length when mowing.

/ Ideas for Heavy Duty Lawn Mower, SC Tractor to accompany Kubtoa L3800 Compatc Tractor #3  
Cutting fescue takes sharp blades. Are you trying to cut it with a bush hog or finish mower? A good finish mower with sharp blades should do you fine and a heck of a lot less than a dedicated mowing machine.
As for dedicated mowers, I just bought a Ferris IS 700 and love it. It will cut my dallis and Fescue mixed grass at 7-8 MPH and never leave a stem showing. The spring over shock suspension system make for a smooth ride on all but the roughest ground. It has a very heavy duty fabricated deck (not pressed steel like the JD you have) so it should last many years. It is flat on top so accumulated clipping blow off easily. I think it is classified as a heavy duty residential mower or light duty commercial. The engine is classed as commercial duty. They are available with both Briggs and Kawasaki (I have the FS691V Kawasaki)

/ Ideas for Heavy Duty Lawn Mower, SC Tractor to accompany Kubtoa L3800 Compatc Tractor
Depends on what you call rough. Most finish mowers aren't going to live a long life in fields. .
Don't need a finish quality cut. The rough terrain beats up the cheap little John Deere D120 and deck.

I do use my Land Pride RC 60" on the big 'lawns' of mostly weeds and volunteer pasture grasses.
I do not use the L3800 over the septic systems however.

I would like a tough machine that my wife can run.

/ Ideas for Heavy Duty Lawn Mower, SC Tractor to accompany Kubtoa L3800 Compatc Tractor
Are you trying to cut it with a bush hog or finish mower? A good finish mower with sharp blades should do you fine and a heck of a lot less than a dedicated mowing machine.

I am trying to find a machine that will fill my requirement. MMM if tough should server well.
I have the L3800, but won't run it over the two lawns with the septic systems.

How does the Ferris IS 700 do with the Utility Trailer attached and loaded while going up hils?

Last edited:
   / Ideas for Heavy Duty Lawn Mower, SC Tractor to accompany Kubtoa L3800 Compatc Tractor #6  
Best all around mowing tractor on the market: John Deere X700 series.

Really have to have a SC, I'd probably go Kubota BX. But, I would give the Mahindra Max and the smallest Kiotis a look first. The Kioti SC2410 looks to be pretty beefy for a SC. Truth is that probably any of them would serve you well.

But, for just plain mowing, towing a lawn cart, and close-quarters snow blowing the X700 series is in a class of its own.

/ Ideas for Heavy Duty Lawn Mower, SC Tractor to accompany Kubtoa L3800 Compatc Tractor #7  
BackGround:

Our little John Deere D120 riding lawnmower isn't cutting the mustard, or should I say "It isn't cutting the fescue and ryegrass."
The tranny sucks (known problem) and the deck quality equally creates such an oral vacuum. I am on my second deck.

I am quite happy with my Compact Tractor, a Kubota L3800 with the 60" rotary cutter (lawnmower, brush cutter), but my lawn isn't quite so happy.
Having a Kubota, I naturally looked at their offerings while picking up some filters and oil for the big guy.

I think that the BX1870 with a Standard Cut Deck, or the GR2120 might fit my need. Diesel, 4WD, Sturdy with PowerSteering​

Question:

What other LM or SC should I look at to mow, maintain 5-8 acres of rolling hills, valleys where much of it is rough.
The ability to haul a small utility trailer is a must.
Additional attachments can be handled by my L3800,

I'm thinking of 'around $10k' GR2120 is approx. 9K and the BX1870 is approx. $11K​
John deere X740 series would be my choice.coobie

/ Ideas for Heavy Duty Lawn Mower, SC Tractor to accompany Kubtoa L3800 Compatc Tractor #8  
I use a Deere x749 with good success so far but I would recommend you smooth up the areas that are rough asap. Running a landplane over the areas will help cut off the high spots without harming all the grass. I have my landplane blades set flush with the skids so on smooth ground it slides over the grass without damage.

/ Ideas for Heavy Duty Lawn Mower, SC Tractor to accompany Kubtoa L3800 Compatc Tractor #9  
IMG_1555.jpgIMG_1556.jpg
Are you trying to cut it with a bush hog or finish mower? A good finish mower with sharp blades should do you fine and a heck of a lot less than a dedicated mowing machine.QUOTE]

I am trying to find a machine that will fill my requirement. MMM if tough should server well.
I have the L3800, but won't run it over the two lawns with the septic systems.

How does the Ferris IS 700 do with the Utility Trailer attached and loaded while going up hils?
I really cant say as I have no need to hook a trailer to my mower. I have a RTV 900 to haul stuff with, but it has plenty of power and traction to climb my hills without slowing down. The hill in the photos has a 5 foot or more rise in 12 feet and the Ferris climbs it without effort. It is so drastic a drop in 2 directions that it is impossible to mow it without scalping at least one side and sometimes the middle, but no problem with climbing up or slowly decending. MY Craftsman wont hold on descent and just takes off but with the bar lug tires on it, it will climb it without fail. (it wouldn't climb it with turf tires and neither would my JD 332.

/ Ideas for Heavy Duty Lawn Mower, SC Tractor to accompany Kubtoa L3800 Compatc Tractor #10  
I do not use the L3800 over the septic systems however. .
Why are you afraid to run a CUT over a septic system. I wouldn't run it over my septic tank lid, but I routinely run any of my tractors over the field lines without worry. If properly installed (over 2 feet deep) you wont have any problem crossing them. Bearing pressure on the ground at that depth wont hurt it. I put in a cheap 3" flex pipe drain to drain a low spot in my yard and it is barely under the soil and I can run it over with my 4000 # B26 without hurting it. I don't know where folks get the idea that travelling over a field line with a small tractor will collapse the drain pipe. You scientific calculation guys can figure the exact ground pressure exerted on an item buried in compacted soil if you want and see what the PSI would be, but I can tell you it wont be enough to damage even a thin wall plastic pipe.