Comparison Best Garden tractor

/ Best Garden tractor #1  

outdoorrn

Tractor
craftsman ltx1000
Looking to buy a new Garden Tractor. Have a 13year old craftsman ltx1000 18hp with Kohler Command Pro engine and is starting to die. But has been a workhorse as a yard tractor. Looking AT Craftsman
GT6000 which has a26 hp Kohler Courage engine and a premimum Hydrostatic ?? which is made by Husqvarna > The Other tractor is a GTH24K54 which is made by Husky also and has a strong 24hp Kawaski engine and a G730 hydro gear tranny . Which is a better buy Sears us a little more money but Im concerned about the Courage engine, have read a lot of bad blogs about it. Need any advice if someone knows the courage engine:confused: will used the tractor for hauling firewood, mowing, snow removal(up North) and hopefully garden tilling etc

Last edited:
   / Best Garden tractor #2  
Welcome to TBN outdoorrn,

I recommend you look at other offerings before limiting yourself to these two models. Maybe a Kubota BX, Deere 700 and 1000 series, Massey Ferguson 2400 series (unsure of these model numbers) and lots of other offerings. Lots of people seem to be interested in the small scut tractors in the last few years, Kioti and Mahindra are finding happy customers too. I like the Deere x749 I have with 4x4ws, 3ph and rear pto mighty well and think the 700 series would work for your listed uses.

/ Best Garden tractor #3  
There was someone here a couple weeks ago with a similar question. Look under owning/operating at a thread titled "Looking to purchase first ever riding mower/tractor." A lot of good information there. I would post a link but am on my phone.

Are the mowers you mentioned at the top of your budget? How big is your yard? I personally will be looking at the jd x540 and simplicity in few years hopefully. No, it's certainly not because I have a lot of money... I just like to buy the best I can, even if it means buying used. The x700 series mentioned is even more money.

/ Best Garden tractor #4  
Cub cadet 2165 I have had since 1996 still going strong 48" deck

/ Best Garden tractor #5  
I have the Husky LGT2654 and I would not buy it again. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton and leaks oil like crazy. It gets serviced every spring with good quality oil and all the bolts are tight. Yet it still leaks. And no the crank case vent is not plugged. Plus, that 54" three blade deck bogs the engine down in the heavy stuff. I have had to replace three of the blade trunnions already due to a blade smacking a rock and breaking the trunnion. Cheap cast aluminum. And the blades don't mow in the same plane either. One blade mows at an angle leaving a narrow line of grass sticking up which you have to go back over to top off otherwise you end up with little mohawks all around your yard. And it's not a bent blade because even new blades do it. Plus, last year the rear axle snapped off. I tore the hydrostatic transmission apart to fix it and half the gears inside had large pits in their teeth and most needed to be replaced. And this is on a mower that was 7 years old. Our previous Monkey Wards mower went 25 years with no problems before we replaced it with this Husky. Big mistake. I would not buy another of these supposedly "Garden Tractors" you find at the big box stores. If I remember correctly the vast majority of these machines are made by the same company just rebranded with color changes for each brand. If you want a small tractor then buy one of the SCUT's. That's what I would have done if I could do it all over again. B.

/ Best Garden tractor
Thanks for all the Replys!!! Trying to stay around the $3K price range Anyone know about the Kohler courage engine GOOD BAD???? Sears has the GT6000 on sale this weekend

/ Best Garden tractor #7  
If I were trying to stay around $3K a good used garden tractor is what I would look for. $3K will buy a lawn tractor but not "Best Garden tractor" as the thread is titled. Really if you can find a good used machine it will outlast a new cheap one in this price range. Heck they are all used once you get them home.

/ Best Garden tractor #8  
For $threeK the best garden tractor would be a 15 year old Deere 425 or 445. HOWEVER, you'd need patience and maintenance ability to enjoy one of those tractors. If you have to have a new tractor I'll bet the sears 6K would likely be the best new tractor at your budget level. The new Deere X758 would come in about $300% more than your budget, but it's also four times the machine.

I wouldn't sweat the courage motor too much. If it does puke 3-5 years from now just replace or upgrade the engine. Those vertical v-twin gassers are really cheap to buy and install.

/ Best Garden tractor #9  
You could get a decent kubota b7100 hst, 4x4 for around $2000. I know because that what I sold mine for. It will out work any garden tractor plus it's got limited slip. 3pt hitch, diesel that sips fuel, ground clearance. Mine was the newer, post 1996 version.
I know the deere 318 and the 400 series are considered the best garden tractors ever made, but a b7100 is at least 5 times the tractor they are, cheaper too!

/ Best Garden tractor #10  
I agree with Illini22. A used diesel Kubota will outwork any garden tractor by far.

I've got a 2001 John Deere GT235E, which was made back before JD sold out to the big box stores and started producing junk to sell at low prices to compete with MTD and other junk. Mine has the Briggs Vanguard engine (which is their commercial engine and is MUCH better than the typical Briggs), and has the very beefy Tuff Torq K71 tranny. A lot of the box store riding mowers use the Tuff Torq K46 tranny, which is junk.

I like my GT235E, but nobody had better offer to trade me their Kubota B7100 unless they are serious.