New L5740/4720 enough tractor for stacking square bales?

/ New L5740/4720 enough tractor for stacking square bales? #1  

TruckinFool

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 860, M7040
Making the switch to large square bales. Bales are 3x3 (800lbs) ideal but could be 3x4(1200lbs?)

Was looking at skid steers but the Deere/kubota 60month zero interest financing going on right now got me looking at tractors again. Budget is around $600month

I need to be able to unload and stack a semi load per month. Can these machines handle it? Due to height restrictions I'll need to be able to pick up two bales at a time to get the top bales off the truck. We're talking 1600lb load at full reach. Loading area is flat. Anyone doing this?

I know I can get more tractor by going up a series but HST/Hydro trans sure seems nice for the wife and cleaning out tight paddocks etc.

Also, hows the engine going to handle short run times? 5-10 minutes a day to grab a bale and load it onto a feed trailer.

Thanks in advance. Going to visit some dealers tomorrow!

/ New L5740/4720 enough tractor for stacking square bales? #2  
I have the 854 loader that is used on the L5740,ain't going to happen with 1600lbs at full lift.HST is great but if you need to lift 1600lbs regular you are going to have to step up in tractor size.I wouldn't worry about short engine runs.

/ New L5740/4720 enough tractor for stacking square bales?
Thank you, Do you think the LA1153/M5140 or 553/5065e will do the job? If I need anything more than that I dont think I can justify the tractor over skidsteer.

/ New L5740/4720 enough tractor for stacking square bales? #4  
your going to have to step up in tractor an loader.i had the mx5100 hst 4x4 with la844 loader.an yes it would lift the 5 by 6 round bales.but the bales was pushing 1800lbs ea or more.an that was pushing the tractor.so i traded for the 7040 SU 4x4 with 1153 fel.an it lifts an moves those bales with ease.so thats the size tractor id say you need to unload a semi rigg.but the best thing todo is have the dealer bring out the 5740 an 7060 or 7040 if you can find 1.an see wich 1 can best unload the semi rigg of hay.

/ New L5740/4720 enough tractor for stacking square bales? #5  
Besides lift capacity to readily load/unload an 18 wheeler you'll need HEIGHT/reach. My M7040/LA1353 is touch & go unloading the top row of hay from the part of the drop deck that sits over the 5th wheel. I have the loader pins in the most height not the most weight holes. If trailer wasn't a drop deck but an actual float then the whole top row would be touch & go(difficult) to unload.

/ New L5740/4720 enough tractor for stacking square bales? #6  
I recommend you get a loader tall enough to grab the top row. I would not try to use a smaller tractor and pick up these bales two high. If you drop a bale you can break it open or worse damage the truck. I have done that, live and learn.

Thanks for the advice everyone. If what I'm reading about 15% off list holds water, looks like I can step up and keep the cab while sticking close to my ideal budget of $40k or $600 month. I dont mind loosing hydro/hst as long as I have shuttle shift but I am concerned with the size of the tractor. Hows the turning radius on these size machines? The property is only 10acres and our smallest paddocks are about 75x75 which I'll need to get in and scrape manure. Also snow removal could get tight around the barns etc. $30k puts me into a used cab skid steer with no warranty... decisions.

Loading area is about 300x90 but also keep dirt/manure piles, implements, hay stack etc etc just worried things might get too tight... was going to dealer today but forgot it was labor day... tomorrow I'll see if anyone has a machine in stock.

/ New L5740/4720 enough tractor for stacking square bales? #8  
Go check one out at the dealer, you will be surprised by the maneuverability of the bigger tractors. My primary tractors are a L5740HSTC and M8540HDC, yes the L5740 is more maneuverable, but not by a whole lot and yu won't be getting one that big anyway. I have mowed my son's yard with our M8540 pulling a 10' rotary cutter, certainly not ideal, but much better than you would think. I obviously had to do a bit of trimming, but less than I would have thought.

/ New L5740/4720 enough tractor for stacking square bales? #9  
These 3x3 bales--how high are they stacked on the flatbed?

My Mahindra 5525 has the ML250 FEL that's rated at 2950 lb load and 10.5 ft lift height at the pins. Tractor with FEL cost about $17K new in 2008. With the FEL and loaded rear tires, the 5525 weighs nearly 7000 lb.

If your budget limits you to a smaller tractor in the 40-50 hp (engine) range, maybe you could build a ramp so you can reach the top layer of the bale stack and only have to handle a single 800 lb bale at a time.

Good luck and, when using the FEL at or near its height limits, be careful out there.

Any thoughts on the wider flotation front tires and tight heavy loader work? Is the steering pump built to handle those tires when your near max lift capacity/close quarters? Was thinking the wider tires might help keep the rutting to a minimum when its get wet around here.

Flusher, thats a very good idea.. I'll have to give that some thought. Might be a good compromise cash wise.