Looking at JD 4020 Need help please!

/ Looking at JD 4020 Need help please! #1  

davezerg

Tractor
None
Hey guys Im new to the tractor game and I came upon a John Deere 4020 with a front end loader. The problem is the PTO is not working. They want 6000 for it. How expensive or hard is it to repair a PTO on this kind of tractor. I'm really interested but I NEED the PTO. Please help.

/ Looking at JD 4020 Need help please! #2  
Depends on what is wrong with it, may need to split the tractor to fix.

Did you look at the 4020 at the Waco dealer for 6k?

/ Looking at JD 4020 Need help please!
Not really, Waco is around 8 hours from my place.. But how expensive is it to split a tractor? Or let's say its a worst case scenario PTO repair, what would that cost? I don't know but the idea of a 90 HP tractor with FEL really seems intriguing.

/ Looking at JD 4020 Need help please! #4  
A better way might be to get an estimate from your dealer. I haven't paid anyone to split a tractor in 30 years.

/ Looking at JD 4020 Need help please! #5  
A little more info is needed. Will pto shaft turn by hand?? Look up under clutch housing. There's an inspection cover that can be removed. Possibly thrust brg wore the ends off pressure plate fingers. I'd guess $2000-$3000 if tractor required a split. I sold a '69 4020 with loader about a month ago for $12K

/ Looking at JD 4020 Need help please! #6  
I'm old enough to remember when the JD 4020 was a brand new model, and it seemed like a Cadillac compared to the old Minneapolis Moline and IH tractors I was driving. Those old JD 4020's were built to last.

Are parts still available from John Deere? There are many, many old 4020's (and 3020's) still around, so used parts should be available but pricing and finding them might be sketchy.

/ Looking at JD 4020 Need help please! #7  
Poopdeck Pappy
I'm old enough to remember selling brand new 3020/4020's:dance1: Most parts are still available but some tranny parts a getting scarce especially Powershift parts

/ Looking at JD 4020 Need help please! #8  
There will be enough expensive repairs that will pop up on a 40-50yr old tractor even if everything "works" when purchased.
Splitting a tractor and parts can use up $6000+ in a hurry depending on what is found.
What is the intended use of the tractor? Primary power unit for heavy tillage, moving construction materials and running a forage harvester to make your living?
Odd jobs and busy season spare tractor for an active farm?
Hobby tractor for a rural estate or horse farm?
$6000 and low interest payments can purchase a decent 40HP CUT tractor and loader new with warranty and no history of abuse. It will park in a standard auto garage too.

/ Looking at JD 4020 Need help please! #9  
There will be enough expensive repairs that will pop up on a 40-50yr old tractor even if everything "works" when purchased.
Splitting a tractor and parts can use up $6000+ in a hurry depending on what is found.
What is the intended use of the tractor? Primary power unit for heavy tillage, moving construction materials and running a forage harvester to make your living?
Odd jobs and busy season spare tractor for an active farm?
Hobby tractor for a rural estate or horse farm?
$6000 and low interest payments can purchase a decent 40HP CUT tractor and loader new with warranty and no history of abuse. It will park in a standard auto garage too.

That's good advice that makes a LOT of sense. As good as those old 4020's were, they are still 40-50 years old and many of them probably have 10,000 or more hours on them. Things eventually break or wear out.

/ Looking at JD 4020 Need help please! #10  

b&d
I guess your """wife""" hasn't allowed you purchase the new tractor that you keep trying to talk other people into buying has she??? Read the forum topics "nearly new" tractors break also. Wouldn't that be fun:making nearly new tractor payments and repair bill payments at the same time.