Buying Advice Looking to buy my first tractor, need advice on what to look for

/ Looking to buy my first tractor, need advice on what to look for #11  
   / Looking to buy my first tractor, need advice on what to look for
The WD is a nice antique, but it's not likely to be a reliable partner for your routine work... you'll spend more time keeping it running than using it. As others say, a number series Ford, or maybe a Massey Ferguson 35 or 50, or something else with a good 3 point setup and live pto would be a better choice. Finding one in good condition is more important than what make it is.

Nice property, by the way.

Thanks!! Someone above mentioned an Oliver 550, and there is one on craigslist that seems pretty nice. 1964 Oliver 550 tractor I actually like the idea of having a front loader just incase i need to haul landscaping around or move snow that the rear blade can't move. Thanks again for the input, this is all very helpful.

Overall, I don't think you can beat an old Ford like the 861 or even early model 2000 or 3000 might be had within your budget

If you had to pick one of the Fords listed (641, 861, 2000, 3000) what would you choose? It seems all of them are readily available in my area and are very close to my budget.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor, need advice on what to look for #14  
Thanks!! Someone above mentioned an Oliver 550, and there is one on craigslist that seems pretty nice. 1964 Oliver 550 tractor I actually like the idea of having a front loader just incase i need to haul landscaping around or move snow that the rear blade can't move. Thanks again for the input, this is all very helpful.

The bucket on the Oliver 550 looks like someone built a snow pusher which could be handy for your drive. I'm not sure the bucket dumps from the pic ?

There is a lot of info out there if you do a Google search on Oliver 550.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor, need advice on what to look for #15  

The loader looks like a home-brew... maybe some kind of trip bucket. It may be OK for light use. The factory loaders of that era tended to be very heavy for the tractors they went on and often overloaded the front axles of what they were mounted on. Often gave your arms a workout too since not all of those tractors had power steering! The Oliver might be a good choice... be sure to check the front end for excess wear due to loader.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor, need advice on what to look for #16  
Byron Center is located in west Michigan. The Allis Chalmers is a 1947, and I know they have 3 point hitch conversions available. Attached is an image of the back end, can you tell if it has the conversion?View attachment 335379

To give more detail on the Allis Chalmers, the oil leaked out of the engine over the last two years while it hasn't been ran. Prior to that, it worked great. So it will take some work to get it going again, I am just trying to figure out if its worth my time. Am I better off just spending $3500 on a tractor that has a wide front, 3 point hitch, and live PTO? Or getting this free tractor and putting $1000 into it to get it running and converted to use 3 point hitch attachments?
That tractor doesn't even have the AC linkage attached. SO the answer is not it is not 3 PH ready. It may be hard to find all the parts necessary to put a 3 PH on it also.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor, need advice on what to look for #17  
When I was a kid, the farm where we lived (NH) had an AC WD and a CA. Both were fitted out with snow plows and did a good job all winter. I think a rear blade would not be good for a 500 ft drive through the season. You'll spend much more time in the cold and dark pushing backwards with your neck twisted around. If you add decent lights, you'll need an alternator to keep from draining your battery using the original generator. The ACs had undersized axle drum brakes that would wear brake bands out quickly. You would soon wear your leg out trying to keep the tractor straight when pushing. A failed seal at the transmission leaks oil over the brake bands and makes the brakes useless. You'll strain your lift arms pushing piles back late in the season. The Ford 3000 or equivalent would be much better. If it came with a loader, you could adapt a used snow plow to it that would be good enough for 500 ft and get you back in the warm much sooner. With only a 1/4 acre garden, you might be better off with a 3PH tiller than getting plows, harrows, cultivators, etc. You might find a good medium duty bush hog used, and come in pretty close to your budget.

That tractor doesn't even have the AC linkage attached. SO the answer is not it is not 3 PH ready. It may be hard to find all the parts necessary to put a 3 PH on it also.

Thanks for the feedback. I am starting to lean away from taking that tractor as I feel it will just cause problems and I am probably better off spending a few thousand and get something I can use for many years. I am really leaning towards the Ford 2000. Seems to have good power, power steering, can handle a loader and its within my budget. My question now is, what version of the Ford 2000? There is the '62-'65 4 cyl, or the '65-'75 3 cyl. Both have almost the same HP, live PTO, etc. Is the 3 cyl better that the 4 cyl?

/ Looking to buy my first tractor, need advice on what to look for #19  
Thanks for the feedback. I am starting to lean away from taking that tractor as I feel it will just cause problems and I am probably better off spending a few thousand and get something I can use for many years. I am really leaning towards the Ford 2000. Seems to have good power, power steering, can handle a loader and its within my budget. My question now is, what version of the Ford 2000? There is the '62-'65 4 cyl, or the '65-'75 3 cyl. Both have almost the same HP, live PTO, etc. Is the 3 cyl better that the 4 cyl?

There is a member here, SoundGuy, he can tell you the pluses and minuses of those Ford questions. I suggest you send him an email (private message) from your TBN home screen. He has run down the differences several times on various threads, but that is hard to find.

There is a member here, SoundGuy, he can tell you the pluses and minuses of those Ford questions. I suggest you send him an email (private message) from your TBN home screen. He has run down the differences several times on various threads, but that is hard to find.

Thanks, I'll get in touch with him.