Buying Advice Looking to buy my first tractor, need advice on what to look for

/ Looking to buy my first tractor, need advice on what to look for #21  
Nfernandez, we were in the same spot 17 yrs ago, on an identical size property. Took us three tries to end up with what we needed, but the BEST decision made was adding the front end loader. Over the years it saved us roughly $20,000 that would have gone to landscapers for various property improvements. The bucket MUST have both up and down pressure, btw.

A very, very big bonus was the years of enjoyment doing the work that bucket made possible.

Regards, Woordpecker

/ Looking to buy my first tractor, need advice on what to look for
Nfernandez, we were in the same spot 17 yrs ago, on an identical size property. Took us three tries to end up with what we needed, but the BEST decision made was adding the front end loader. Over the years it saved us roughly $20,000 that would have gone to landscapers for various property improvements. The bucket MUST have both up and down pressure, btw.

A very, very big bonus was the years of enjoyment doing the work that bucket made possible.

Regards, Woordpecker

What ones did you try? I am scared to pull the trigger because i don't want to be stuck with one that doesn't fit my needs. At the moment the best option for my budget seems to be the Ford 2000/3000. I am curious what you tried and found didn't work well so I am stay away from those. I keep learning things like having both up and down pressure and I am afraid something else will pop up once i get one.

Thanks,

nick

/ Looking to buy my first tractor, need advice on what to look for #23  
What ones did you try? I am scared to pull the trigger because i don't want to be stuck with one that doesn't fit my needs. At the moment the best option for my budget seems to be the Ford 2000/3000. I am curious what you tried and found didn't work well so I am stay away from those. I keep learning things like having both up and down pressure and I am afraid something else will pop up once i get one.

Thanks,

nick

Hi back, Nfernandez:

We intentionaly left that out, becuz our financial situ then was pretty good. We'd sold our previous home for much more than we paid for the 2.5 acre 'final destination', and thankfully had a decent bag of money to work with.

We arrived in the Boonies with a ridiculous 'burbs-perfect' J-D 170, plus a tiny front blade, and puny mid-mount mower. Obviously that needed upgrading FAST, so we moved to a J-D 275 with front blade. Then (via an unexpected estate inheritance) we bumped to a gas J-D 445 with a bucket. All this occurred over a three year 'learning curve'.

THAT'S when the light came on. That bucket moved - literally - TONS of stuff far too heavy for us; patched the gravel driveway, repaired a retaining wall's limestone, dug up unwanted brush, etc., but was still significantly under-powered, AND lacked 4wd. (Something else you really NEED.) We tried to avoid going diesel (so the tractor could be parked inside), but finally had to bite the bullet. Our final upgrade (J-D 4100, dual range, 4wd compact diesel) sits in a drive shed, with block heater attached for Winter months.

So we can't offer you any further comparative advice, BUT the key to all our country living adventures remains that front end loader. It has been priceless (and a lot of FUN). For what it's worth: NONE of our J-D equipment ever had anything in the way of repair costs, AND retained excellent trade-in value. You get what you pay for, and avoid disastrous down time waiting for repairs. If you ever find a used 4100 for sale, don't let the guy out of your sight! The only drawback to our now 14 yr old machine with 1400 hours on it, is constantly having to stop what we're doing to tell landscapers driving by that we DON'T want to sell it.~

Sorry we can't offer more advice on your specific situation. But please, regardless of what you end up with, get a loader.

Regards, Woordpecker

/ Looking to buy my first tractor, need advice on what to look for #24  
I have never known of a FEL that did not incorporate lift and down pressure. This is standard FEL design, at least in the last 10-15 years.

( Maybe, though, that Oliver 550 is an exception??)

In contrast, the rear Three Point Hitch lifts hydraulically but drops only by gravity, which is why it is important to have heavy implements mounted on the hitch to accomplish work.

Last edited:
I have never known of a FEL that did not incorporate lift and down pressure. This is a standard part of FEL design, at least in the last 10-15 years.

( Maybe, though, that Oliver 550 is an exception??)

In contrast, the rear Three Point Hitch lifts hydraulically but drops only by gravity, which is why it is important to have heavy implements mounted on the hitch to accomplish work.

Thanks for the info. I am now leaning towards a Ford 2000. I have read a lot and talked to a few places and that seems to be the most bang for my buck. I found one on craigslist 1972 Ford 2000 Tractor , the only thing I would need to get is a FEL. Before I jump on it, I am going to figure out what one may cost. I would love to buy one with the FEL if possible, but that may not be an option unless I wait a long time. I am far too excited to wait another 6 months.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor, need advice on what to look for #26  
At a glance, that Craig's List Ford looks well maintained and not too many hours. Excellent price.

Disclaimer: I have NO experience with Ford tractors.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor, need advice on what to look for #27  
Thanks for the info. I am now leaning towards a Ford 2000. I have read a lot and talked to a few places and that seems to be the most bang for my buck. I found one on craigslist 1972 Ford 2000 Tractor , the only thing I would need to get is a FEL. Before I jump on it, I am going to figure out what one may cost. I would love to buy one with the FEL if possible, but that may not be an option unless I wait a long time. I am far too excited to wait another 6 months.

Something to nail down: the ad says "2000" the decal on the hood says "3000" ???

/ Looking to buy my first tractor, need advice on what to look for #28  
Looks pretty, but fresh paint on a 40 year old tractor can sometimes mean completely different things: a) it has been carefully restored and in as-new condition or b) it's old and tired, but the seller hopes the new paint will dazzle a buyer so they don't notice.

Something to nail down: the ad says "2000" the decal on the hood says "3000" ???

Just talked to the guy and got the story. He said he restored the tractor, which is why it has new paint, and he couldn't find "Ford 2000" decals so he used "Ford 3000". I also asked about the hours, and he said the hour meter stopped working and actually has around 1500 hours. I am now feeling skeptical because he never mentioned the meter not working, or the new paint job in the ad.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor, need advice on what to look for #30  
Any other 'Olde Fellers' want to handle this one?

Thanks btw Jeff9366, for burying us under the Sands of Time.~

Can't say for sure when buckets first began employing two-way pressure, but that's how things were in OUR early days.

Also - this thread is about Nfernandez's search for a limited budget 'OLDTIMER' - THAT'S why we advised checking for it.

Cheers, Woordpecker