Tractor
    none

Default Advice needed on buying a skid steer at auction

Does anyone have any advice on buying a 2 year old skid steer at an auction house? I have been looking at a few machines that have between 3 and 4 hundred hours on them. Is that a low enough hours on them to not have any problems? Does anyone have any experience with purchasing from Mcgrew equipment auction in PA? Thanks

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

Any machine, even brand new is a gamble. At least with new you have comfort from a warranty. Even only a couple years old with only 3 or 400 hundred hours, without knowing the history or even a good way to guess at the history I would only buy if less than about 60 or 70 percent of the price of new.

I haven't dealt with their auction company but bought my loader used from their boneyard in IN. They seemed like good people and gave me good price, I even bought a set of wheels/tires once I got there.

Tractor
    none

Default Re: Advice needed on buying a skid steer at auction

Thanks for the advice, the machine I am considering is a cat 246c with 368 hours. New prices on that machine are around 50 grand. Their price is 30 grand. Its so much money take a gamble on, I guess I am just hoping with that few hours on it that I wont end up putting a high dollar repair in it.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

Well that puts you right at 60 percent. If it looks and feels good i'd say go for it. Can't be 20 grand bad (at least I would hope not). I don't have much experience but I hear good things about the CATs.

Tractor
    2005 Bobcat B300 T.L.B./1991 Ford 2120

Default Re: Advice needed on buying a skid steer at auction

I have never heard anything bad about CAT. They are built for what they are meant for. I have operated CAT dozers, but never a CAT skid steer. But would not hesitate to buy one with that many hours on it. I had considered a skid steer but my requirements for a backhoe led me to a T.L.B. Does the machine have a bucket and forks? Does it have a quick attach bucket so you can exchange implements? You will find in the future that forks a very, very, handy to have. Good luck.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L285

Quote Originally Posted by mikehaugen
    Well that puts you right at 60 percent. If it looks and feels good i'd say go for it. Can't be 20 grand bad (at least I would hope not). I don't have much experience but I hear good things about the CATs.
    Well, I'm personally not a huge fan of Cat, but they have the Best parts availablity of any manufacter. Parts are spendy (more than Komatsu, Deere, but less than Volvo). When I say I'm not a fan, I simply mean that I don't feel the machine itself is any better than deere, ect, but the advantage is that if you have the money they can get you basically any imaginable part within 36 hours.

Edit. I quotes the wrong guy, I ment to quote the one saying "I've never heard any complaints about Cat"

Its like green tractors, you pay more, but when your broken down on the job, facing liquidated damages, I would put my faith in Cats parts, rather than say Mustang, getting a final drive motor over nighted.