Buying Advice Total newbie looking for tractor help please.

/ Total newbie looking for tractor help please. #11  
Consider the subcuts JD 1026r, mahindras max series, and kioti cs2410. All are nice. JD has the nicest attachments that are easy on/off. Mahindras can get you the most power. I know some argue whether the mahindras are subcuts. doesnt really matter what you cal it. And the kioti is probably best value.

Larger sizes JD and bota are the better mowers. The Deere quick connect mm mower might have a lot of appeal to you. On the ultra nimble side, consider the JD x700 series if a loader is not needed.

/ Total newbie looking for tractor help please. #12  
I would also shop your dealers within your driving range. If you can find one that really wants to help you out, that trumps the difference in brands by far. Also don't discount a smaller dealer, dealing directly with a good dealership owner is much better in my experience, than a sales person at a large dealership.
Good luck and take your time.

/ Total newbie looking for tractor help please. #13  
I'd look for a 30hp (pto) 4WD SCUT with hydrostatic tranny, power steering, FEL with 5-ft wide skid steer quick attach bucket. Your most expensive attachment will be the snow blower. Rear mounted 5-ft wide blower that runs off the rear pto will run $2-3K. Front mounted 5-ft wide blower attached to the FEL arms and run hydraulically will cost twice as much. If you go this route be sure the tractor hydraulic flow (gallons/minute) is sufficient to run the front mounted blower.

All the major tractor manufacturers have competitive tractor models and attachments.

For all new equipment, I'd budget $20-25K to satisfy your needs.

Good luck.

/ Total newbie looking for tractor help please.
Thank you all for the Great advice. :)
I have started a note book listing the advice here and plan on stopping at my nearest dealer first. I’m sure I’ll be back with questions as I work through my local dealers. Thanks again for all your help.

/ Total newbie looking for tractor help please. #15  
Hello, and welcome to TBN.
At your level of inexperience the dealer backup and training is vital . This and dealer proximity count most. Are you comfortable with the dealer? If yes ,short list. The actual brand of tractor is of secondary importance.
Write a list of all the tasks you will use it for ,THEN go to your friends and ask what they do and , what extra tasks do they do that were not thought of when they bought their tractors. You always get "mission creep" as your experience grows.
What hydraulic powered machines will you use? Their requirements will dictate the size of hydraulic pump, which will dictate the model of tractor.
If the tractor is not 4x4 walk away. 2 wheel drive won't work in snow.
cat 1 pins are recommended, widest attatchment choice.
Next, a good habit to develop. EYEBALL the engine and trans' oil dipsticks and radiator and fuel levels before you start the tractor at the beginning of the days work. When someone else drives insist they do the same. This is prevents running out of oil from neglect, it is surprisingly common.
Lastly get a grease gun and go over the grease chart and with YOUR gun make sure you can reach ALL the grease nipples with all the attatchments on. If you can't then have the dealer remote mount the grease nipple so it is easy to reach. I have seen plenty of destroyed equipment from grease starvation, but I have never seen or heard of any dieing of grease poisoning.
Good luck and happy tractor shopping.

/ Total newbie looking for tractor help please.
Hi all,

I have been to a few dealers, not as many as I would have liked to have seen by now. Seems most dealers have limited weekend hours making it impossible to see more than one a weekend. Went to the Yanmar Dealer first as they are the closest. Nice people, got some seat time. Fun little tractors, drove around a sx3100. 1st price quote. $30,000. Includes FEL, MMM, 52”front snow blower, loaded tires. YIKES!

Next stop Kubota, looked at B2620/B2920 Not a bad little tractor, 1st price quote, B2620, $21,974 includes FEL, MMM, 50” front snow blower, loaded tires. The B2920 was only $809 more. No seat time got there a ½hr before closing, sales person was very nice and stayed to talk to me way past closing time. (pushed back his leaving time for his weekend trip) I noticed these did not have telescoping 3 point hitches.

Next stop Kioti, Closed by the time I got there… : ( but had fun climbing over and looking at inventory. Thinking a CK27 might be a good size. I did get to chat with a Kioti dealer at the fair for a bit and got a verbal quote of $25,000. And if I remember right you can’t put a MMM on a CK27. I did Like how sturdy and solid the bucket looked over the others I looked at.

Stopped and looked at the Bobcat they had at the fair. Very nice people, the most pleasant I have talked to so far. They had a
CT225 with turf tires, said they could get me a really good deal but I have to take it with the turf tires. It was a nice looking unit
But I’m worried where that will leave me in 10 years when they no longer carry replacement parts. I haven’t gotten back to them yet. I’m also not sure about turf tires, I hear they are good in the snow and great on lawns but not so good in the woods.
Someone told me you can put foam in the tires and you will never have to worry about a flat. Can anyone tell me more about this? Should I even be looking at Bobcats?

Next stop another Kubota dealer, I looked at and drove a B3200, Nice unit, bigger than the B2920, still no telescoping 3 point hitch. Snow blower for this unit really starts putting the hurt on the price tag. $24,000 FEL, and front mount snow blower, and that is without a mower. Another $250 to have the quick coupler installed on the FEL. If I remember right the Yanmar, Kioti and Bobcat already had them. Oh and the B2620 at the other dealer had them too.

I welcome all the input I can get. All these prices are just the 1st round of quotes I have not haggled with anyone yet.

nnelg

/ Total newbie looking for tractor help please. #17  
Be clear in your mind that there are two kinds of Quick Attach FEL's.

One is known as SSQA, which is Skid Steer Quick Attach. SSQA is the versatile option.

T' Other is for attaching and detaching just the bucket from the FEL arms quickly, via Lynch Pins rather than nuts and bolts. Some operators like to drop the (heavy) bucket when running a rotary cutter on the three point hitch.

For working in the woods a 9" ground clearance will NOT cut it. You need 13" -14" ground clearance to move over rough terrain. Generally speaking, this is one divide between "sub-compact" tractors and "compact" tractors.

How tall is the crown in your driveway at the highest point? More than 8"?

In terms of buying/pricing: We are in a strange period as all tractors now coming off assembly lines for sale in USA must be compliant with EPA Tier IV emissions strictures. There are a few Tier III compliant tractors in inventory, not many. The Tier iV tractors are generally 20% higher in price. So if you see a Tier III compliant tractor you want, buy now.

/ Total newbie looking for tractor help please. #18  
nnelg,

As for tires, I feel that you would need tire chains for winter use, no matter your tire choice, but especially turf tires. Tire chains are cheap insurance, around $200-$250. I run chains and weights on my garden tractor year around. I could not go half of the places I take it without them. With your long lane, I feel you will need them at least on the rear tires.

Foaming tires is pretty expensive and when the tire wears out, you have to buy new rims as well. Most tractor tires that you are looking at are tubeless and are plugged to repair them. A tire plug kit is cheap, $25. You just need compressed air to reinflate them. You can purchase a portable airtank for $50 or a small air compressor for not much more.

My personal opinion, I would bypass the Bobcat for the very reasons you stated. It is probably a good tractor, but a broke down tractor that you cannot get parts for in ten years is a lawn ornament.

As both brand dealers treated you respectfully, try narrowing down your choice in Kubotas so you are comparing only one model against the Kioti model and pitting the two Kubota dealers against each other for price and what they will throw into the deal: tire chains, quick hitch.

/ Total newbie looking for tractor help please. #19  
Bobcat and Kioti are made by Daedong so your fine for parts.

/ Total newbie looking for tractor help please. #20  
Yeah BC parts will not be a problem. The kioti is the same tractor. You might rethink a mid mount mower. A pita to take on and off. Definitely load the tires. Much safer for loader work. I wouldn't be without. Rim guard or beet juice would be cheaper than foam. Turfs are said to be quite good in the snow. Unless working in sticks or a lot or muddy conditions turfs are fine. The BC will be your best deal with their incentives to move them. Bit do look at the kiotis. I suggest mahindras too.