Hydrostatic vs Non

/ Hydrostatic vs Non
On today's new tractors wheel RPM is independent of PTO RPM.

Therefore you can drive slow or fast while PTO continues to revolve at 530 RPM.

That's great to know. I'm at the point where I just need to get out and drive some I guess.

/ Hydrostatic vs Non #12  
HST gives you infinate control of your groundspeed, but you loose a little power getting this option. HST shines mainly in operations that make use of this ability to change speeds/direction often. HST can usually be an easier transmission for a part time operator to use without burning out a clutch/etc. Gear transmission usually are the most efficient at getting the HP to the ground and PTO. They shine in operations that require constant speeds for long distances.. like plowing/disking/etc. A power reverser gear trans [ sometimes called PST/etc. ] allows you to have the gear efficency with the ability to easilly change direction. But mainly, a lot of the answers you will get on this forum are biased on what transmission the poster has. Just like which color tractor has the sweetest smelling exhaust... and all the other colors stink to high heaven.... :)

/ Hydrostatic vs Non #13  
I understand completely. I farmed with my daddy all my life until he died eleven years ago. We would both do things to aggravate the the other one. He may be so hard against them simply because you want one. The hst will do fine for what you need. Unless you are going to be working on steep hills. Then you should get a shuttle shift. But some seat time will let you know if you like the shuttle or the hst better.

/ Hydrostatic vs Non #14  
I guess I was just spoiled by the ease of use with HST on my lawn mower, so I opted for it on my new Kioti. Yes, I'm sure there is a degree of power loss with HST but, for me, it's not a critical issue. As for straight-line work in the fields, I just set the cruise control.

/ Hydrostatic vs Non #15  
I'm at the point where I just need to get out and drive some I guess.

Have you decided on how much tractor horsepower and tractor weight you need for your tractor tasks?

Better to test drive to determine: 1) How large a tractor you feel comfortable operating 2) How comfortable the operating station is for you, considering the number of hours you will be sitting in the tractor seat. #2 varies a great deal.

/ Hydrostatic vs Non
Have you decided on how much tractor horsepower and tractor weight you need for your tractor tasks?

Better to test drive to determine: 1) How large a tractor you feel comfortable operating 2) How comfortable the operating station is for you, considering the number of hours you will be sitting in the tractor seat. #2 varies a great deal.

Well, I'm kind of approaching this from the perspective of the most tractor I can get for my budget. I'm looking at used tractors (approximately 5 years old) in my budget approximately 15k. I think (and I am not set on a brand - but I see a lot of Kubotas in my area) that this could get me into some kind of L model sized tractor in the 1900 to 2400 lb range... I'm interested in anything comparable.

/ Hydrostatic vs Non #17  
Ample budget for a good used tractor. I have had excellent service from my Kubota but I am not Kubota-centric.

Personally, I have found the operating station on the "regular" L series a little confining. I do not like the lump under my feet.

My B3300SU, largest of the "B's," has a better operating station.

The "Grand L" tractors are sublime but much more money.

Kubota is particularly well known for the quality of their HST transmissions.

/ Hydrostatic vs Non #18  
I'm not "down" on HST, but I don't think you should ignore the higher cost new, higher maintenance costs ongoing, more to break or go wrong, and hydraulic whine that is part of owning an HST.

Aside from the higher initial cost, many people would argue the other points are wrong. Many mechanics have said that they fix/repair/replace more parts on gear transmissions than HST....clutches get fried, gears get abused, etc. There just isn't that much evidence that HST systems have higher maintenance costs associated with them. Some HST systems whine more than others, but in many, it's most noticeable when the RPM is too low for what you're trying to do..that's the only time I really hear mine.

/ Hydrostatic vs Non #19  
I've had two geared tractors before I bought this HST tractor liked them all but I REALLY like the HST I have now. For my needs and what I do with the HST it works just fine. Plus I am old and lazy and this HST system makes working with the tractor a breeze. It's been said before on TBN try and test drive as many tractors as you can before you buy.:thumbsup:

/ Hydrostatic vs Non #20  
I use my tractor in the woods as well as in and around my yard. I have a slight slope. I traded tractors mainly to get a HST transmission. Best decision ever. Gear is not bad by any stretch, but I much much MUCH prefer the ease of use and friendliness of the HST. On hills I can't recommend a gear tractor, although I'm sure there are plenty who use gear on hills and wouldn't change for anything.

In cars and trucks, I only want a manual transmission. On a tractor, I want to focus on the task, not the transmission.