1025R vs 2032R vs Kubota ??

/ 1025R vs 2032R vs Kubota ?? #1  

TommyB33

Tractor
Searching
Hi All,

We have 40 acres of rolling hills with fields/forests that we maintain 10' wide paths on. We are looking to replace our 1950s Massey w/5' bush hog with something more user-friendly. The grass can get 3-4' high at times but only needs a rough cut for our needs. We also pull logs around to cut up and haul to the barn on a utility trailer. We will probably put around 50 hours on the tractor a season.

I've done quite a bit of reading on the forum and others but am looking for specific advice.

Will the 1025R be "enough tractor" to handle our needs?

Is the 2032R (I believe it was redesigned like the 1025R recently) worth the extra $3k?

Is a MMM rugged enough to handle our mowing needs? (A MMM is appealing for the driveability)

Has Kubota redesigned any similar tractors recently to compete with JD?

Thanks,

/ 1025R vs 2032R vs Kubota ?? #2  
When you say 40 acres, I immediately dismiss the 1025R, and question the 2032R. I would be thinking 3520, or 4520.
I do think the 2032R is worth whatever price difference there is. It would be better at everything...except if you need the smaller size of the 1025. I don't think it changed though from the 2720.
I think a bush hog would be better for you than the MMM.
I don't know about the Kubotas...I lean green.

/ 1025R vs 2032R vs Kubota ?? #3  
When you say 40 acres, I think a bush hog would be better for you than the MMM.

I second arlen4720.

A Bush Hog / Rotary Cutter is more rugged than a Finish Mower. If a Rotary Cutter is NOT used for vines and saplings, but reserved for grass and turf only, it will give a good quality cut rivaling, but not equaling, the cut of a finish mower.

You should also research Flail Mowers.

Are you pleased with your current five foot cut, or do you want to cut a wider swath?

A six foot Rotary Cutter is still easy to pull. A seven foot cutter is really big.

Kubota has a model to compete with John Deere in every size of compact tractor.

LINK TO KUBOTA:

Kubota Tractor Corporation | Tractors

/ 1025R vs 2032R vs Kubota ??
40 acres of land, about 80% is wooded or fields that are not maintained. That's why I was considering the 1025R. With that said, is your position the same?

I agree with the ruggedness of the bush hog, but other family members that are not so experienced with tractors will be using it and I want to make sure they are comfortable with things.

/ 1025R vs 2032R vs Kubota ?? #5  
Eight acres is still more appropriate for a Rotary Cutter or Flail Mower over a Finish Mower.

Most T-B-N writers feel Flail Mowers are "safer" than Rotary Cutters. Either require care.

Tractors are not for minors, regardless. If you want to provide mobility to minors buy a Utility Vehicle.

Farming is one of the most dangerous occupations. Tractors are often a factor in injuries.

PTO powered implements are inherently dangerous.

/ 1025R vs 2032R vs Kubota ?? #6  
The 1025 and/or the 2032 are too small for your needs. The problem with them is their ground clearance. Go to the JD website and pull up the specs on those two tractors. Look at tire size and ground clearance. You'll see very quickly that you are looking at too small of a tractor. I think the 3xxx series would be the smallest that would suit your needs.

In the Kubotas you should look at the B series at a minimum. Also check the L series There are a lot of models to choose from depending on what bells and whistles you want. Probably more choices in those size ranges than Deere offers. Not trying to sway you to either brand. To get a true idea of size you bout need to be standing on a dealers lot. You are considering tractors a LOT smaller than your Massey.

I started with a Kubota B series tractor which is considerably bigger than the JD 1025 or 2032. More like the 3xxx Deere models. When I replaced it I went up to a Kubota L series and got along a lot better. 75% of my work is in timber land. Ground clearance is critical.

As for a MMM, I don't know of any that are designed to mow in conditions such as a timber trail. You're better off to stick with the bush hog type. Your 5ft would work fine on a 3xxx series Deere or L series Kubota.

/ 1025R vs 2032R vs Kubota ?? #7  
40 acres of land, about 80% is wooded or fields that are not maintained.

Not maintained YET. I would get something that you will grow into... that's allot of land to take care of. I would think you want something with a strong loader for grappling logs and brush. And Something stable for uneven ground, etc. Even 20% of 40 is still 8 acres.

A grapple on the front could come down the line, but at $5,000+ isn't in the cards right now as a priority.

I second the safety concerns. It would not be for minors, but for a step-mother and adult sister. Having worked for the DNR on a levee in college I have the utmost respect for machinery.

/ 1025R vs 2032R vs Kubota ?? #9  
I operate a Kubota B3300SU; 33-hp, 1,900 pounds, 4-WD, $20,000 new. It will pull a standard duty five foot Rotary Cutter fine OVER LEVEL GROUND.

I pull large timber from time to time. If I pulled large timber regularly I would want minimum 45-hp in a tractor with weight of 2,900 pounds. Larger tractor could pull a six foot Rotary Cutter over moderate slopes.

There is nothing wrong with a well maintained, used tractor.

Attachments

• IMG_0496.jpg
    IMG_0496.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 777
  • IMG_0624.jpg
    IMG_0624.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 978
  • IMG_0583.JPG
    IMG_0583.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 762
Last edited:
The primary duty of this tractor will be to mow. Most of the forest is walnut and we have an agreement with the DNR that it isn't really touched to promote forest growth.

For ground clearance, we won't be driving over downed trees or deep trenches.

I'm just hesitating on spending $20,000 on a tractor that we will only use 15% of its capabilities for when a $12,000 tractor seems like it would work. Although like someone said, I need to get out there and actually see them in person.